Why can't we defend corners

Russell Ram

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Modern goalies don't for fear of getting blocked.

credit to Leicester, at least they didn't try to stand on his toes and block him in as Reading did.

Kasper Schmeichel does and did last night.  Goalkeepers have a material advantage; they can use their hands. They should, from time to time, when the occasion presents itself, come for the ball. Carson has a well documented aversion to catching and punching, although I note he does train at taking crosses, pre-match.  I wouldn't have to drag my ar^e off to Filbert Street on Feb 8th if he came for one last night.  

13 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

The own goal was poor, but Morgan's header was brilliant. Just sheer strength. We didn't defend it badly at all, it was similar in that Leicester's defending for Bent's goal wasn't bad. 

Just got to applaud the delivery and finish.

Very true. If there was a quality difference last night between us and them it was crossing and corners. Some great low hard crosses that got past the first line of defence several times. I don't think we defended badly, more that they attacked from the flanks effectively. Our crosses that were/are dangerous always come from the corner of the box when the player has cut in rather than getting to the bye line. (Except when JR nutmeged that bloke on the left and cut it back.... Jees that was close to being brilliant :D)

30 minutes ago, unclej said:

Kasper Schmeichel does and did last night.  Goalkeepers have a material advantage; they can use their hands. They should, from time to time, when the occasion presents itself, come for the ball. Carson has a well documented aversion to catching and punching, although I note he does train at taking crosses, pre-match.  I wouldn't have to drag my ar^e off to Filbert Street on Feb 8th if he came for one last night.  

If you are talking about the corner from which Morgan scored, the Leicester player made contact with the ball exactly 5 yards out and dead level with the near post. Not only that, there was another Leicester player standing no more than 12 inches in front on Carson deliberately blocking him off - there was absolutely no way he could get past the player AND get to the near post before Morgan in order to cut out the perfect drilled corner from Gray.

1 hour ago, unclej said:

Fat arse.

(P.s. He did catch some).

Archived