Alternative Facts

1of4

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, richinspain said:

When I used to go fishing when I was a kid, if I ever caught an eel I thought "wh.........at the f*** do I do to get the hook out of that thing's mouth?"

There was an old poacher I knew called Alec Platts many years ago who used to live in a caravan behind my dad's pub. He used to go 'babbing' for eels - a technique which didn't need a hook. He used a darning needle to thread some wool through some big lobworms then wrap loads more wool around the worms and chuck it into the Steena (a local fishing pond). The eels would be attracted and try to get at the worms, but their teeth would get caught in the wool. He'd pull the wool out and usually the eel would not be able to let go in time.

A quick bang on the head, chop the head off, gut the eel, chop it into chunks and then he'd put the pieces in a metal 'smoker' (filled with burning charcoal and some oak chps). Half an hour later - smoked eel. I tried some once - not to my liking.

50 minutes ago, eddie said:

There was an old poacher I knew called Alec Platts many years ago who used to live in a caravan behind my dad's pub. He used to go 'babbing' for eels - a technique which didn't need a hook. He used a darning needle to thread some wool through some big lobworms then wrap loads more wool around the worms and chuck it into the Steena (a local fishing pond). The eels would be attracted and try to get at the worms, but their teeth would get caught in the wool. He'd pull the wool out and usually the eel would not be able to let go in time.

A quick bang on the head, chop the head off, gut the eel, chop it into chunks and then he'd put the pieces in a metal 'smoker' (filled with burning charcoal and some oak chps). Half an hour later - smoked eel. I tried some once - not to my liking.

My grandad used to love jellied eel. My dad worked at Willington power station for many years and one of his tasks was to clear the grids to the water inlet from the Trent. He would often pull some monsters out from there and take them to my grandad. I never really got into jellied eels, but over here they are used in a dish called allipebre, which also has potato, garlic and crushed almonds. That is fantastic!

Archived