Owen Bradley

PodgeyRam

I would like to apologise  for this blatent piece of advertising, but I couldn't see another topic that I could slip this into.

I recently had a chat with Owen Bradley about interviewing managers, being a Derby fan and social media. I've done a write up of this on my wordpress site. There's even a reference to this very forum in there. If you fancy a read I've posted a link at the bottom. In the meantime here's a taster.

As a fan it can sometimes be difficult to step back and look at things objectively. Poor performances and bad results can ruin days and sometimes entire weekends. These days people can vent their frustration online, on social media and blogs, before calming down and looking at things in the cold light of day. Journalists however, have to go and interview managers and players minutes after the game is over. Objectivity, Bradley says, should not go out the window after a bad result.

“I acknowledge that I’m not there to give my opinion; I am not the expert. There is a bit of holding people to account, but you’ll never hear me say ‘I think you should have done this’ or ‘I thought you did this today.’ It’s a difficult job in the sense that you can never make everybody happy. The club will always think you’re too negative and you should be more supportive, whereas other people will think you should be giving the club a harder time. You just have to acknowledge that’s the job and it’s the same for however many local radio stations and however many commentary teams there are.”

https://dcfcweekly.wordpress.com/2017/01/13/a-chat-with-owen-bradley/

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived