LB issue (Solution)

Gritty

Just now, McLovin said:

Bradley Johnson played there in the cup if I remember correctly and did relatively well there, maybe he's worth a try there? Then again doing that would ruin the balance of our midfield even more.

I was going to mentioned that but no need keep him at CDM. 

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, kingsy1884 said:

Baird LB Hanson RB.

IMO Stabana is not ready. The alternative is a loan but we have 4 LBs already and I am not sure you can do short 2/3 month loans anymore.

I was thinking that but if Fozzy is out all season and we aren't sure that Lowe's body is ready to play at senior level intensity twice a week then could always try and find a loanee who can give us 2 options (ie LB+RB or LB+CDM etc)

27 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I agree with not playing Baird there but who do we play there? None of the options seem good in the slightest. The one I might be tempted to go with is Johnson but we are also light in midfield. Other than that do you play Hanson who has been a bit iffy when played at fullback and risk not needing him in midfield? Or do you risk playing a winger like Russell or Camara out of position there ? It's far from an easy decision and one I feel McClaren will get criticised for not matter who he goes with.

I just think if we play Baird there then we are weaker at RB and obviously our only way out will be down the right half or hoofball.

Better to keep him RB and just have someone, anyone who can go on the outside with a pass. I know you're going to want it to be someone who can defend and if it's say Russell then he might get his pants pulled down. I just think if we become that one sided and struggle like we did v Brentford to get quality possession then we stand very little chance of winning anyway. 

I'd go with Russell from what I know. I know that sounds ridiculous but we're on 5th choice now. Unless there's somebody in the youth team that's anywhere near the level of Russell. 

I just think it might be worth risking Russell getting roasted just so we have balance to our attacks. Otherwise Pearce is going to have to play the game of his life. He's going to have to out-Keogh Richard Keogh. 

Is there owt in the youth team?

4 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I just think if we play Baird there then we are weaker at RB and obviously our only way out will be down the right half or hoofball.

Better to keep him RB and just have someone, anyone who can go on the outside with a pass. I know you're going to want it to be someone who can defend and if it's say Russell then he might get his pants pulled down. I just think if we become that one sided and struggle like we did v Brentford to get quality possession then we stand very little chance of winning anyway. 

I'd go with Russell from what I know. I know that sounds ridiculous but we're on 5th choice now. Unless there's somebody in the youth team that's anywhere near the level of Russell. 

I just think it might be worth risking Russell getting roasted just so we have balance to our attacks. Otherwise Pearce is going to have to play the game of his life. He's going to have to out-Keogh Richard Keogh. 

From the limited times I've seen the youth team, I think that macdonald is the left back now lowes been promoted and he does tbf look like a decent player- think he's about 19 so may be worth a shot in the cup. At right back stabana looks to have potential but from what I've seen isn't ready yet, doesn't have the composure yet and decision making to play at first team level

4 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Honestly I think that's where I'm at as well, in that I think Russell is the best (or least bad) option we have currently given we kinda need Johnson to play in the centre.

The other option is to throw in a youth team player but I'm not super clued up on that front.

5 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Is it worthwhile though, if our left backs are nearing fitness ? Olson is slated for a return after the game against WBA.

Well I'm not a fan of Olsson, but why not? Does it have to be from window to window, I thought there was still an emergency loan?

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Well I'm not a fan of Olsson, but why not? Does it have to be from window to window, I thought there was still an emergency loan?

My understanding is that loans have to be window-window now. I'm not a massive Olsson fan either but I think he's steady enough (until Lowe is fit again) that I'd rather focus elsewhere. 

2 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

My understanding is that loans have to be window-window now. I'm not a massive Olsson fan either but I think he's steady enough (until Lowe is fit again) that I'd rather focus elsewhere. 

Can't see that a window-window loan of a real lrftback would cost that much and might make all the difference. We've seen both Olsson & Lowe breakdown more than once to know that a spare is essential.

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Can't see that a window-window loan of a real lrftback would cost that much and might make all the difference. We've seen both Olsson & Lowe breakdown more than once to know that a spare is essential.

They do both seem to have a proclivity of picking up niggles, might have a point about a loan being worthwhile.

The left back issue is only one of the issues which with have limited options.

Baird right with Shackell/Hanson/Russell left

or

Baird left and Hanson/Rawson right

But who will play in the middle with Johnson and Bryson? Could it be Hanson or Elsnik? Maybe go with a 4231 formation slotting either Vydra or Ince behind Bent. 

On 2 January 2017 at 17:10, feisty said:

So I realise that we will play Hanson at LB until one of the others recovers.  But I really would like to see us experiment against WBA and play 3-4-3 and play 3 centre backs bringing Shackell back in.

Given Butterfield and Hughes BOTH suspended maybe

Carson

Keogh - Pearce - Shackell

Baird - Bryson - Hanson - Johnson

Ince - Bent/Vydra - Weimann

Nice idea but that is a lot tackling and ball wining for Hanson to do ... He'd end up dropping back leaving Bryson, Baird and Johnson to feed the forward line and only Baird can play a consistent tight pass from that lot. .. We would be sound, maybe get a draw but I don't see goals there. I'd have Camara on the left to provide some spark and move Johnson to the left middle. Bryson only works with a hold up striker like Martin. 

On ‎02‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 21:07, RoyMac5 said:

I think I've got to the bottom of why Olsson hasn't been great for us... It turns out that we may have got the wrong brother - turns out Clement wanted the other one all along! :cool: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/swansea-closing-norwichs-martin-olsson-9602675

Archived