LB issue (Solution)

Gritty

So I realise that we will play Hanson at LB until one of the others recovers.  But I really would like to see us experiment against WBA and play 3-4-3 and play 3 centre backs bringing Shackell back in.

Given Butterfield and Hughes BOTH suspended maybe

Carson

Keogh - Pearce - Shackell

Baird - Bryson - Hanson - Johnson

Ince - Bent/Vydra - Weimann

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, kingsy1884 said:

Baird LB Hanson RB.

IMO Stabana is not ready. The alternative is a loan but we have 4 LBs already and I am not sure you can do short 2/3 month loans anymore.

Forgot the loaning rules have changed...

There's only poor options available, but Baird perhaps least worse.

Three at the back requires at least one, preferably two CB's who are excellent passers of the ball. We know that Keogh and Pearce aren't the best passers of the ball, Shackell is worse than the pair of them and we sold our best footballing centre-back to Wigan. There are other problems with the suggestion such as who we would get to play as wingbacks (Baird definitely could not play there) and who would go in our 2 man midfield (which we again don't have the midfielders for, though Pearson demonstrated this well). If we were awful with three CB's against Chesterfield with Albentosa and Buxton (both who could actually pass a ball) and with Forsyth + Christie as wingbacks (our best players capable of excelling there) I doubt we'll get a result against decent opposition.  

Either get an emergency loan of sorts (as we did with Butland) or play Hanson/Shackell there. Don't resort to a suicidal formation.

If you put Baird at LB you will not see a single pass down the left flank. 

Any opponent that sees Baird at LB will know under the slightest pressure he will go inside or backwards

With Pearce being so cautious that leaves just Keogh and a RB that can play out. Both on the right half.

Would be hoofball from Carson all game. 

Hoofball to Vydra? Bryson? Ince? Russell?

Do not play Baird at LB!! 

5 minutes ago, Alpha said:

If you put Baird at LB you will not see a single pass down the left flank. 

Any opponent that sees Baird at LB will know under the slightest pressure he will go inside or backwards

With Pearce being so cautious that leaves just Keogh and a RB that can play out. Both on the right half.

Would be hoofball from Carson all game. 

Hoofball to Vydra? Bryson? Ince? Russell?

Do not play Baird at LB!! 

I agree with not playing Baird there but who do we play there? None of the options seem good in the slightest. The one I might be tempted to go with is Johnson but we are also light in midfield. Other than that do you play Hanson who has been a bit iffy when played at fullback and risk not needing him in midfield? Or do you risk playing a winger like Russell or Camara out of position there ? It's far from an easy decision and one I feel McClaren will get criticised for not matter who he goes with.

Archived