Chrissy Martin...........no repeat guarantee

1 minute ago, Alpha said:

Our collapse that season was for several reasons imo. Two main ones..

Injuries to key players and even their back up. Wiping out 2 positions

Mac tinkering with the back 4. Every single position. 

I wouldn't say we were better than Bournemouth. I'd say we were about equal. When we played them at their place it was one of the highest quality games in the country outside the elite teams. Amazing game swinging back and forth too. But they were smashing teams by 4's and 5's  and even 8. 

But this is my point. Which of their players would you have down as PL quality at the start of that season. Did it look like a team that would be one of the most entertaining in recent 2nd tier years? 

Nobody fancied a team containing Pugh, Kermogant etc. 

10 players you say made the step up. Yet people write off our players as limited to this level. Even though we've seen Lingard pass through here. We've seen Hendrick snapped up. We've seen Ibe go straight into the Liverpool side. Lee Grant another one proving his class

It will always always come down to how the player fits the team. Not the league. Or Wes Brown wouldn't have a single PL medal

The Bournemouth game you refer to, had the Sun's football writer describing it as a game between two teams who wouldn't just survive the PL, but who would set it on fire.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

The Bournemouth game you refer to, had the Sun's football writer describing it as a game between two teams who wouldn't just survive the PL, but who would set it on fire.

Yeah it was 2-2 and the game Martin got injured? Lee Grant had a couple of crazy moments at the start?

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

Yeah it was 2-2 and the game Martin got injured? Lee Grant had a couple of crazy moments at the start?

It was one of Dawkins' 2 great performances for Derby (the other being Fulham in the cup) when he came on in the second half as well.

24 minutes ago, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

He was excellent against Doncaster and Wigan also. Really rated him as he was one skilful lad. Real shame how things petered out.

That first half at Wigan is up there with the 5-0 against the Gumps as a team performance - and yes, Dawkins was outstanding, but it's strange that I remember Roger Espinosa's second-half and how he tore us a new one.

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/12/2016 at 16:17, Raminphilippines said:

My mother lives in his home town of Beccles and says she does see him in the town a lot, so clearly he spends a lot of time going home. 

Fulham to Beccles travel time 3 hours 22 minutes

Derby to Beccles 3 hours 20 minutes

So only a couple of minutes difference when there is no traffic, but with London Traffic Derby is far quicker and a lot more enjoyable drive. 

Friends in the town that know him tell me he loves Derby. 

I said he loves Derby.

What is there not to love about Derby.

On 12/18/2016 at 23:10, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

Yes old news and yes countless threads out there already but i was watching a YouTube of all Chrissy's 60+ goals and his countless assists earlier today. All i can say is get him back.

The team has moved on somewhat granted but he really is a great option to have. The only sticking point is that Fulham can offer him first team football whilst Stevie Mac will make no such promises.

Some of his hold up play and assists last season and the one previous were outstanding. I suppose a lot would be down to his hunger and desire. Being based in the Capital is more of a pull as well.

Didnt expect this to come true....???

Martin seems to have lost three things since the time when we can all agree he was at his best with Derby. 

1. Hold up play. Rather than be absorbed into his control, the ball has begun to bounce off him. 
  2. Ability to obtain fouls.  I'm sure I wasn't the only one to be slightly embarrassed by his 'going down like a poleaxed bull' routine, but it won us a dead ball opportunity so it was over looked. He has become infamous for crumpling under the slightest touch and cannot buy a foul now.   
  3. Scoring goals.  His outburst to his South Stand faithful after slotting that peno in was telling. His goals dried up for us. Others can speculate why. 

Sadly he has obtained one rather dubious attribute. 

1. Petulance a ten year old would be proud of. 

It looks like he is one his way back to us. I hope a legacy from the Pearson regime is that his time away has done him good and that he can return to form and start putting them in again for us. I also hope though that we will not build our entire attacking threat around him this time.  We are better than that now. He does know how to pull the trigger though;; we are taking too many touches in the area before shooting at the moment and could be the answer to those who successfully 'park the bus' at Chad Sidings in future. 

Since Clement came to the club Derby never played to Chrissy's strengths, often he was isolated, rarely touched the ball in matches but when he did, he made things happen. Difference now is McClaren is back and would encourage the team to get the ball into his chest and feet and get players going beyond him.

Archived