The case for the defence

therealhantsram

Love that we are not conceding goals at the moment.  All great teams are built on a solid foundation.  But the record at the moment is truly exceptional.

• Six home games without conceding
  • 557 minutes without conceding

Question for the stattos out there... what are the club records for these two stats?  We must be close to setting new records, if we haven't already. 

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Billy Davies's side will be right up there I think? Agreed though, it is good to see.

Although that Forest side is literally as poor as I've ever seen. It is honestly, as a football fan, really tragic.

Wouldn't score in a brothel in a million months of Sundays. They were lucky to score nil yesterday. 

17 minutes ago, Daz_The_Ram said:

Billy Davies's side will be right up there I think? Agreed though, it is good to see.

Although that Forest side is literally as poor as I've ever seen. It is honestly, as a football fan, really tragic.

Wouldn't score in a brothel in a million months of Sundays. They were lucky to score nil yesterday. 

I suppose with Bendtner's own goal, they technically scored -1! :p

We've played some decent teams in the past few months, and Forest too.

Some of those teams especially at Pride Park didn't really come to attack but still, the run of clean sheets and the defensive solidity we've shown is remarkable.

Scoring goals, not letting them in and playing some decent football too. With EXACTLY the same squad as Pearson had at his disposal. Happy days.

If there is any evidence for smiling positivity in a manager being more productive than dour negativity then just compare McClaren v Pearson like for like.

I'd like to think if I was a footballer I'd be a consummate professional but I know which one would get the most out of me.

I'm not criticising Pearson as I'm sure he will go on to do a great job at another club but more highlighting how odd it is that two differing managers with the same tools at their disposal can achieve vastly contrasting results and performances.

7 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

We've played some decent teams in the past few months, and Forest too.

Some of those teams especially at Pride Park didn't really come to attack but still, the run of clean sheets and the defensive solidity we've shown is remarkable.

Scoring goals, not letting them in and playing some decent football too. With EXACTLY the same squad as Pearson had at his disposal. Happy days.

If there is any evidence for smiling positivity in a manager being more productive than dour negativity then just compare McClaren v Pearson like for like.

I'd like to think if I was a footballer I'd be a consummate professional but I know which one would get the most out of me.

I'm not criticising Pearson as I'm sure he will go on to do a great job at another club but more highlighting how odd it is that two differing managers with the same tools at their disposal can achieve vastly contrasting results and performances.

I think Pearson has to face criticism for his time here. His system was negative, risky and reliant on players that are not suited to playing it. He then stubbornly stuck with it despite the worst run of results for quite some time and appeared to get more and more miserable as the situation got worse.

He totally neutralised our attacking players by having them pick the ball up in our own half with an entire opposition team on top of them. How is someone like Ince supposed to influence a game when he has got to beat at least two men to get out of his own half?

Pearson's time here was rubbish, maybe he has learned from it but that has come at our expense. He will not be missed by me in the slightest.

10 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

The Keogh haters must be really struggling atm, on one hand well happy about clean sheets on the other gutted their scapegoat is ruining their football oracle **** talk.

All the haters are struggling now.

7 in 9

6 in a row

Everytime someone has 2 average performances and the haters pounce the player suddenly plays well and they have to move onto another

Desperately need a defeat to QPR 

1 hour ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I think Pearson has to face criticism for his time here. His system was negative, risky and reliant on players that are not suited to playing it. He then stubbornly stuck with it despite the worst run of results for quite some time and appeared to get more and more miserable as the situation got worse.

He totally neutralised our attacking players by having them pick the ball up in our own half with an entire opposition team on top of them. How is someone like Ince supposed to influence a game when he has got to beat at least two men to get out of his own half?

Pearson's time here was rubbish, maybe he has learned from it but that has come at our expense. He will not be missed by me in the slightest.

The thing that really sticks out to me is that in almost every interview they give our players mention that McClaren encourages to express themselves and they're no longer scared of losing possession. It suggests that Pearson would absolutely hammer anyone with poor ball retention stats and is backed up by the evidence of all out players making useless sideways and backwards passes during his time in charge.

Someone said a while back we could be up for maximum points once Pearson left as they were more favorable games. I did agree at the time as we did have hard fixtures for the start of the season.

Glad to see we're winning again. Long may it continue. It just doesn't feel like we're going to concede at the moment time will tell when we concede 1st hopefully we find our way back into the game. 

This is certainly the most solid defence I have seen in my time as a Derby fan. We just don't look like conceding.

If we keep up this rate of only conceding 1 goal every 3 games under McClaren I think that would give us a goals against total of 22 at the end of the season. Surely that would be a record for the division?

Doubt it would happen though; injuries and bad patches of form always happen, especially later in the season.

Posted some other thooughts about it here: https://dcfcweekly.wordpress.com/2016/12/13/mcclarens-defensive-dream/

Although we didn't concede a lot from the start of the season, it never looked that solid, and given one goal would almost always beat us under the "lesser Nigel" as I now think of him. 

Its actually continued to improve under Mac, and Pearce and Keogh are forming a very good partnership, Baird is giving good balance and we really are spoiled with leftbacks. 

16 hours ago, PodgeyRam said:

This is certainly the most solid defence I have seen in my time as a Derby fan. We just don't look like conceding.

If we keep up this rate of only conceding 1 goal every 3 games under McClaren I think that would give us a goals against total of 22 at the end of the season. Surely that would be a record for the division?

Doubt it would happen though; injuries and bad patches of form always happen, especially later in the season.

Posted some other thooughts about it here: https://dcfcweekly.wordpress.com/2016/12/13/mcclarens-defensive-dream/

Record for Div 1 post war, but as top tier, is Arsenal with 18 goals conceded in 38 games.

Record for 2nd tier  28, Sunderland 1998/99, West Brom 2001/02. in 46 games.

2 hours ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Record for Div 1 post war, but as top tier, is Arsenal with 18 goals conceded in 38 games.

Record for 2nd tier  28, Sunderland 1998/99, West Brom 2001/02. in 46 games.

So we have a fair chance at beating it if we keep this up then? Imagine what the Keogh haters would say if we did it with him as captain!

On 12/12/2016 at 10:05, tomsdubs said:

The Keogh haters must be really struggling atm, on one hand well happy about clean sheets on the other gutted their scapegoat is ruining their football oracle **** talk.

Interesting comment.

You can add the Baird, Ince, Johnson, Pearce, Olsson, Butterfield, Russell, & Bent haters to that list.

I suppose you didn't fall into any of those categories?

Archived