Trivia: Prawn Sandwhich Brigade

FindernRam

Derby extended the "Directors box" in the summer. There are now so many Directors, players, family and other non paying hangers on that it takes a full five minutes for them to go down at half time. Hope there is never an emergency evacuation.

Worse they do a Wembley and are still taking their seats (blocking my view) 4 minutes into the second half. EVEN worse about twenty of them left 10 minutes before the end on Saturday.

I don't begrudge the owner doing what he wants at all, but certainly these people should show some respect by at least watching the whole game.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I sit in the East stand - there's a bell-end on the row in front of me that arrives after kick-off every week and always leaves on 85 minutes - as he sits in the middle of the row, that's about 15 people who have to stand up for him each time and a couple of rows behind that have their view interrupted - I can only think he got a discount off his season ticket and therefore isn't allowed to watch the whole match.....

8 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Derby extended the "Directors box" in the summer. There are now so many Directors, players, family and other non paying hangers on that it takes a full five minutes for them to go down at half time. Hope there is never an emergency evacuation.

Worse they do a Wembley and are still taking their seats (blocking my view) 4 minutes into the second half. EVEN worse about twenty of them left 10 minutes before the end on Saturday.

I don't begrudge the owner doing what he wants at all, but certainly these people should show some respect by at least watching the whole game.

Half the problem is a lot of those invited are probably more interested in 'networking' or whatever you want to call it, the football is secondary to them. I have been in the directors box at Derby, albeit years ago, and was invited by someone who had been invited by 'someone', neither of whom supported either of the teams playing, they were only interested in who they could get to talk to etc etc.

12 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

I agree Findern !

I sit in the row directly behind the directors box and you are correct you get a right procession of numties making their way in and out, they make their way to the seat making eye contact with a business associate or friend of a friend and smiling and waving in the assumption that the rest of the stand in the "fans" seats are looking on enviously, what they don't expect is to be yelled at in a very loud voice to "hurry up and sit down", that soon snaps them out of their comfort zone and induces a look of panic as they realise they have still got to make it past six or seven already seated tools to their free seat !

whats funny to see is that as part of the changes poor old stevies seat in the stand from his last tenure has been swallowed up and gone, he now has to stand at the back of the directors box leaning on a bar at the top of the entrance stairs, much akin to the old blue stanchions in the popside at the BBG !!

perhaps he is just trying to keep it real !!

any how Christmas certainly looks a lot more cheery, Up The Rams

18 minutes ago, loweman2 said:

I agree Findern !

I sit in the row directly behind the directors box and you are correct you get a right procession of numties making their way in and out, they make their way to the seat making eye contact with a business associate or friend of a friend and smiling and waving in the assumption that the rest of the stand in the "fans" seats are looking on enviously, what they don't expect is to be yelled at in a very loud voice to "hurry up and sit down", that soon snaps them out of their comfort zone and induces a look of panic as they realise they have still got to make it past six or seven already seated tools to their free seat !

whats funny to see is that as part of the changes poor old stevies seat in the stand from his last tenure has been swallowed up and gone, he now has to stand at the back of the directors box leaning on a bar at the top of the entrance stairs, much akin to the old blue stanchions in the popside at the BBG !!

He must be trying out the safe standing rails, so that it can be rolled out to the rest of the Ground once its finally given the go ahead in about 20 years time.

18 minutes ago, loweman2 said:

I agree Findern !

Now if you had said Pearson was propping up the bar during the match that would have made sense :)

45 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Leaving before the end isn't limited to people in hospitality and boxes. My grandfather used to leave on 80-85 regardless of the circumstances in the match which used to boil my piss. You also get many fans leaving before the end of the first half because they can't go 90 minutes without depositing huge vape clouds all over the concourse or having a pint.

Ultimately if you buy a ticket you can do whatever and watch however much of the match you like. Would it be nice if everyone sat out the full 90 to support the team? Absolutely, but each to their own.

42 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

I sit in the East stand - there's a bell-end on the row in front of me that arrives after kick-off every week and always leaves on 85 minutes - as he sits in the middle of the row, that's about 15 people who have to stand up for him each time and a couple of rows behind that have their view interrupted - I can only think he got a discount off his season ticket and therefore isn't allowed to watch the whole match.....

You must sit near me. Every match we have perennial late arrivers and early leavers. 

Guarenteed in the East lower there will be a procession on 83-87 minutes. Then they try and stand behind me (as I'm on the back row) and they get shouted at by the people in the front row of the east upper as they block their view. 

Every game!! 

Time saved to get to the car........0 as we often still pass them as we leave!!

I sit in the directors box occasionally. Possibly once or twice a year and the people all around me are full paying passionate Rams fans. Definitely not had their seats for free. In actual fact they happen to pay quite a bit more for their seat than any season ticket!!

The reason they probably leave early and arrive late is it can take around 5-10 minutes to get to and from your box and some people can be older or less mobile so need more time or leave when it's quieter.

I agree it's very annoying when people are standing up in front of you, but things aren't always as they appear!

14 minutes ago, loweman2 said:

I agree Findern !

I'd like to think he's keeping it real; that he's very slightly trying to redress the balance of corporate job obligation whilst feeling a bit of a twonk.

A friend of mine is a Boro fan but as part of his job he is required to host clients at Sid James Park for every home game in the corporate bit. He likes football and nice food:drink so that certainly softens the blow but I know he'd rather be stood on a piss soaked Ayrsome Park terrace any day. Still, he gets to see the toon go down now and again. 

My company 'rewarded' me with a day in the corporate bit at SJP once and it was funny when we both saw eachother with our respective predicaments.  His eyes said 'what have we become'. Well I think he did but I was so busy stuffing truffle enveloped foie gras into me gob it was hard to be sure between swigs of Krug. Innit.

Just now, Daz_The_Ram said:

I've never been able to understand people who leave before the end of a game.

Why don't we watch a really good movie, and then just switch it off before the conclusion?

Ridiculous ... one of my absolute pet hates.

I sometimes have to leave at 85 mins to make sure I get my brother to work on time. 

We normally stay till the end but for example the Sheffield Wednesday game, He started work at 5pm in Stanley village. 

So I have to leave at 85 mins to make sure I am not stuck on pride park till 5pm.

2 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

I sometimes have to leave at 85 mins to make sure I get my brother to work on time. 

We normally stay till the end but for example the Sheffield Wednesday game, He started work at 5pm in Stanley village. 

So I have to leave at 85 mins to make sure I am not stuck on pride park till 5pm.

Agree there is reason for some people, however when you see the hundreds and hundres streaming out you do wonder where they all need to be

The whole leaving before the final whistle debate has been done a million times, they pay their money they are allowed to come and go as they please. 

He extension of the directors box....this is another matter because like it or not the men and women up there representing companies from the area, the country and the world are the people who are paying for everything going on around the club. The years of the paying spectator paying the players wages have long long long gone its the big buisnesss that are fueling Rupert Murdoch and his cronies to keep punting billions of pounds into the beautiful game.....stinking it to high heaven.

8 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Agree there is reason for some people, however when you see the hundreds and hundres streaming out you do wonder where they all need to be

Agreed. There's a few games where you could argue that no one should be leaving.

For example a Premier league game at 4:30pm on a sunday. There surely isn't anywhere that they could be going to that can't wait that extra 10 minutes in traffic. 

But on a saturday at 3pm, some people have commitments.

11 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

7 minutes ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

People have their reasons. 

Of course, I understand that there will always be exceptions for practical reasons.

6 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

The whole leaving before the final whistle debate has been done a million times, they pay their money they are allowed to come and go as they please. 

That doesn't mean that it isn't absolutely infuriating and ridiculous.

Archived