Trivia: Prawn Sandwhich Brigade

FindernRam

All I'll say is that we don't all live in and around Derby and funnily enough the British Rail timetable doesn't get published to align with our home games, especially midweek fixture. All in, it's over 9 hours travelling for me and I know others live in equally or more obscure places. I don't leave early btw but understand there's those who need to. For midweek matches I have to stay over and take time off work the next day. Also, some old boys also aren't as fit as they used to be and it's an effort to get in and out the ground. A head start and some space really helps. 

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I rarely leave early. Did so for the Carlisle home game in the cup as the little one was falling asleep and the late Cumbrians equaliser meant no way were we able to stay for extra time.

If the team are being outplayed and 2 or 3 nil down then I might consider it. I can accept being 2 or 3 down if we have given it a go but if it's a capitulation and the effort hasn't been there then i don't see why I should stay and applaud.

I do have some sympathy for the players though. They could be 3 - 0 up and playing well and at the final whistle when they look up to the stands to receive much deserved applause, the stadium is half empty.

The only time I've ever done so is after two very heavy defeats. One was kind of beyond my control though, as I was a nine year old. We'd taken that famous pounding 7-1 to the great Liverpool side of Barnes, Rush, Beardsley etc. etc. Who I maintain would have beaten any team in the world 7-1 that afternoon. I think our tea was on the table so we had to leave! ;-)

The other one was under Jim Smith, when Leicester went 4-0 up within twenty minutes or so I think it was? Heskey basically completely mullered our farters.

I left pretty early that day and headed for the pub!

14 minutes ago, Daz_The_Ram said:

The only time I've ever done so is after two very heavy defeats. One was kind of beyond my control though, as I was a nine year old. We'd taken that famous pounding 7-1 to the great Liverpool side of Barnes, Rush, Beardsley etc. etc. Who I maintain would have beaten any team in the world 7-1 that afternoon. I think our tea was on the table so we had to leave! ;-)

The other one was under Jim Smith, when Leicester went 4-0 up within twenty minutes or so I think it was? Heskey basically completely mullered our farters.

I left pretty early that day and headed for the pub!

That's one of the games I will never forget Daz.  I was 20 minutes late for kick off for some reason (probably to do with the ex who hated me going) and ran all the way to the ground and the late gate, only to be met by a Rams fan storming out through the fire door of the East Stand effin and blinding loudly about how useless we were.  Was it you?

I still went in but I'm not sure it got much better.

8 minutes ago, JW37 said:

People leaving early is just about understandable but spending 90 minutes on your pissing phone isn't. Watch the game and check you've lost another tenner later. Same goes for recording free-kicks and penalties.

Couldn't have put it better myself. Some can't even endure the 20 second boredom of the ball going out of play for a throw in without having a little faff about on it.

The only time my phone comes out at a game is if it rings or I need to ring someone or to check the time. This includes half time. Next home game, you lot obsessed with your bloody devices try keeping them in your pocket at half time and just spend 15 minutes looking around and taking it all in. Mindfulness.

You won't last 10 seconds .

7 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

That's one of the games I will never forget Daz.  I was 20 minutes late for kick off for some reason (probably to do with the ex who hated me going) and ran all the way to the ground and the late gate, only to be met by a Rams fan storming out through the fire door of the East Stand effin and blinding loudly about how useless we were.  Was it you?

I still went in but I'm not sure it got much better.

Haha that is funny mate because it may well have been! I used to sit in the East lower at the time!

Talking of rushing to a ground only to find out its all gone tits up ... I remember in our ill fated 11 point season, being in London with friends, an arrangement that coincided with the Spurs game at White hart Lane. At the time, I was blissfully unaware of how long it took to get from A to B in the capital, and my mates house was south of the river by a distance ... 

I got into the ground, a hung over, flustered, angry ball of snot and sweat, twenty minutes after kick of ... only to realise we were already 3-0 down, getting battered, which was resulting in the Derby fans indulging in fist fights among each other!

Not the best start to the afternoon! :-) I hadn't realised either that the Spurs stewards at the gate were sniggering at me as I walked in ... might have given me some idea of what had been happening!

I always leave at 89. Being 2 rows from the bottom takes a while to get to the top of the stairs otherwise. It's either leave at 89 (Depends on the added time) or wait for the full time whistle and add another 5-10 minutes getting out the stadium.

No brainier really.

23 minutes ago, JW37 said:

People leaving early is just about understandable but spending 90 minutes on your pissing phone isn't. Watch the game and check you've lost another tenner later. Same goes for recording free-kicks and penalties.

Fair point, 

I sit with my phone in my hands so I get notifications on all the championship games and the games I have bet on. 

But don't sit there with my head in my phone, I literally glance at it for 10 seconds and then put it down again.

Talking of phones at football ...

I got to the Grimsby cup game this year, and as I took my seat, my old Mum phoned me (the folks were living in Spain until about 6 weeks ago) ... I picked up, and she was sobbing ... in absolute sodding bits ... apparently their electrics had been cut off because the geezer they were renting from had been bypassing the meter!

Whats a guy supposed to do? I was stuck between 'There, there Mum, it'll all be fine' and 'Erm, I'm actually trying to watch the match duck, can we do this later?'

So, for anyone who had to endure a twenty minute phone conversation from the bloke in front at the Grimsby game ... I do apologise! ;-)

See? phones and football ... never the twain shall meet.

Only time I use my phone at a game is to post a photo on here pre-match. Not a chance at home matches as the wifi is so crap but can usually manage it at away games. 

As for people coming and going, there's two young guys near me who come late,  go down 10 minutes before half time, come back up late. Sometimes don't come back at all. So it's not just the prawn sandwich brigade.

When we score their goal celebrations are completely over the top and we're getting pushed about and clonked on the head.

This week a different guy altogether came back with one of them and the two of them were passing a whisky bottle back and forth. (They sit on different rows) If you're on here guys just cut it out. I'm so close to reporting the pair of you. 

I know one of you has already been in trouble for kicking a kid in the concourse. I don't want to be a party pooper but you might show a bit more consideration for others. 

6 hours ago, Ashz09 said:

I always leave at 89. Being 2 rows from the bottom takes a while to get to the top of the stairs otherwise. It's either leave at 89 (Depends on the added time) or wait for the full time whistle and add another 5-10 minutes getting out the stadium.

No brainier really.

You'd be better off getting out 10-15 minutes late if it means your dad has gone off without you. :D

10 hours ago, FindernRam said:

Derby extended the "Directors box" in the summer. There are now so many Directors, players, family and other non paying hangers on that it takes a full five minutes for them to go down at half time. Hope there is never an emergency evacuation.

Worse they do a Wembley and are still taking their seats (blocking my view) 4 minutes into the second half. EVEN worse about twenty of them left 10 minutes before the end on Saturday.

I don't begrudge the owner doing what he wants at all, but certainly these people should show some respect by at least watching the whole game.

Why?

No bugger else does. They were leaving the North Stand a full 10 minutes from the end too, so I suppose half-fans can be rich as well as poor.

Archived