Away fans at Ipro (Brentford Tue 18 Oct 16)

therams69

Afternoon all

Many will know one of the major issues with getting the South Stand going on certain games was due to the location of the away fans. It is fine when clubs bring 2500+ as fans in the South Stand can see what is being sung etc and an exchange of songs can take place. Of recent when clubs like Brentford, Ipswich, Reading etc only bring a few they have been located towards the South Stand more meaning that probably only 1 block in the South Stand Upper can see or hear them. Considering there are 4300 in the South Stand this is a very small number. Away fans are singing a song as to which the upper block will reply but no one else has a clue why we are singing it so more than likely wont join in.

We have been pursuing a move for them within the away area for many months now. Really not as simple as some may think hence why it has took so long to sort a trial game out.

So tomorrow night the Brentford fans will be housed, in the away end of course, but having tickets sold from the East Stand round to the South Stand. As far as I know around 400 / 500 are coming up so it will probably just be the East Stand section that they will be in.

Club are trialing it to see how it goes operationally and all being well ( I know its a Tuesday night v Brentford!) but hopefully this will mean some increase in atmosphere from both the South Stand and East Upper.

Not looking for opinions on how the atmosphere was at the game but whether or not the atmosphere was better with the away fans located here compared to where they were before (right next to the South Stand)

Just little things like this that can hopefully get the Ipro just that little bit louder. Was a fantastic atmosphere against Leeds on Saturday. I know it was them but it kind of felt that a buzz was around the place.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's a good idea. It's always a better atmosphere when the away fans can see the home fans and although I've not been in the SS it does appear from the NS that half the away fans in that area are stood alongside the SS and it's only the ES away section that can see the home fans in the SS.

It would be a lot better if more of the ES was given up so the away fans were exclusively in that stand and the rest of the SS opened up for home fans but i'm not sure how those currently in that end of the ES would react to being moved. A hot potato.

1 minute ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

I think it's a good idea. It's always a better atmosphere when the away fans can see the home fans and although I've not been in the SS it does appear from the NS that half the away fans in that area are stood alongside the SS and it's only the ES away section that can see the home fans in the SS.

It would be a lot better if more of the ES was given up so the away fans were exclusively in that stand and the rest of the SS opened up for home fans but i'm not sure how those currently in that end of the ES would react to being moved. A hot potato.

Oh lord please don't open that can of worms that you just have Tony with the East Stand! lol!

Beside the South Stand cannot be extended due to the segregation gates. If you remember Fulham at home a couple of years ago or maybe last I cant remember, the east stand went over into away end which can be done if demand is there.

4 minutes ago, therams69 said:

Oh lord please don't open that can of worms that you just have Tony with the East Stand! lol!

Beside the South Stand cannot be extended due to the segregation gates. If you remember Fulham at home a couple of years ago or maybe last I cant remember, the east stand went over into away end which can be done if demand is there.

That was last season on Boxing Day mate against Fulham and we won 2-0. 

4 minutes ago, therams69 said:

Sorry man!  :unsure:  Didn't know about the segregation gates and wasn't around for the Fulham game back then so i didn't know about that. Just to clarify i have no desire to see fans from the ES moved and i'm sure they don't either. :p

8 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Sorry man!  :unsure:  Didn't know about the segregation gates and wasn't around for the Fulham game back then so i didn't know about that. Just to clarify i have no desire to see fans from the ES moved and i'm sure they don't either. :p

Well tracked back! :D

On 10/17/2016 at 13:47, therams69 said:

Afternoon all

Many will know one of the major issues with getting the South Stand going on certain games was due to the location of the away fans. It is fine when clubs bring 2500+ as fans in the South Stand can see what is being sung etc and an exchange of songs can take place. Of recent when clubs like Brentford, Ipswich, Reading etc only bring a few they have been located towards the South Stand more meaning that probably only 1 block in the South Stand Upper can see or hear them. Considering there are 4300 in the South Stand this is a very small number. Away fans are singing a song as to which the upper block will reply but no one else has a clue why we are singing it so more than likely wont join in.

We have been pursuing a move for them within the away area for many months now. Really not as simple as some may think hence why it has took so long to sort a trial game out.

So tomorrow night the Brentford fans will be housed, in the away end of course, but having tickets sold from the East Stand round to the South Stand. As far as I know around 400 / 500 are coming up so it will probably just be the East Stand section that they will be in.

Club are trialing it to see how it goes operationally and all being well ( I know its a Tuesday night v Brentford!) but hopefully this will mean some increase in atmosphere from both the South Stand and East Upper.

Not looking for opinions on how the atmosphere was at the game but whether or not the atmosphere was better with the away fans located here compared to where they were before (right next to the South Stand)

Just little things like this that can hopefully get the Ipro just that little bit louder. Was a fantastic atmosphere against Leeds on Saturday. I know it was them but it kind of felt that a buzz was around the place.

I sit in the SW Upper. The re-location of the 600 or so away fans was an improvement because:

1. They could be seen from where I sit. Normally, this number would be tucked away adjacent to the South Stand, and I wouldn't see them. Consequently, I wouldn't hear them.

2. I could hear them. They did chant and sing and actually made quite a noise at times given their relatively modest number.

It was a dark night and the general atmosphere was muted. That said, being able to better see the away fans does make an impact on me. In past games, when the away fans are out of my sight-line (because there's only a few hundred), I tend to feel that it's going to be a night of poor atmosphere and tend then to just sit and watch the game more intently. But last night I felt the presence of the 600 Brentford fans....

Had there been a Derby goal, I think the general atmosphere would have lifted a lot. The game was quite absorbing and ready to burst alive but just didn't quite get there.

So I would say overall, an improvement. And I do agree that every little helps. So well done for getting this sorted. 

I sit in the north stand.

I felt the atsmosphere was fairly decent for saying it was only 4 or 500 brentford fans there. 

I can't really say if that was due to the move but like most night games it did go dead after about 20 mins and picked up again after a few decent chances. 

48 minutes ago, tinman said:

South stand were quieter than ever. Probably scared by having to see the away fans now. 

We all know they're billy big ******** until someone challenges them. 

Think this is a bit harsh tinman. Perhaps in a minority of cases but by and large the exchange of 'pleasantries' between opposing sets of fans during a match is observed as a friendly and humorous exercise. Fans could chant something to the away fans in a forceful manner but mainly it's done with mutual respect and it doesn't mean that once out of the stadium, the two parties are going to rip one another to shreds.

It's about collective one-upmanship from a footballing perspective which can get a bit OTT fair enough.

As for the Brentford fans, for us in the NS it's good to see the away fans in that corner as like last night, they were side on so to speak. But it's the SS that generates the atmos so whatever they think best i'm happy with. They sang sporadically last night the Bees but by and large it was a pretty uneventful evening on and off the pitch.

Interesting to hear all opinions concerned... Personally I think Ellafella has nailed it for me.

Remember this wasn't about the atmosphere being electric. It was about comparing it to the likes of other Tuesday night games when Ipswich have come and saying was it better than that?

For me like many have said. I actually heard the away fans singing and within 3 minutes of the game songs had already been exchanged between the 2 sets of fans. Something that was not possible beforehand except for 1 block in the South Upper next to them. All about trying to get as many included as possible including the East Stand and SW corner.

For once when we sung something random the majority of the South Stand knew what it was about... A reply to one of their songs. Whether or not other fans choose to join in is another matter but I think it was an improvement. And I am sure Brentford fans would have enjoyed it too. I am not that bitter to want them to have a boring time but like to think ( as an away fan myself) that they had a good time having a sing song and exchanging banter with home fans. That's what its all about isn't it?!

Keep the opinions coming and will feedback to club. Unsure how it went operationally for them but by all accounts nothing were raised.

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

I sit in the SW Upper. The re-location of the 600 or so away fans was an improvement because:

1. They could be seen from where I sit. Normally, this number would be tucked away adjacent to the South Stand, and I wouldn't see them. Consequently, I wouldn't hear them.

2. I could hear them. They did chant and sing and actually made quite a noise at times given their relatively modest number.

Completely agree.

Archived