Pearson gone

irobinson

Sith Happens
3 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Keogh last season had the most clean sheets of any player in the Championship. Clearly not that hopeless...

The Keogh argument will go on forever, personally dont get it, its easy to point the finger at defenders, and especially keogh but for large parts of this season the defence have had very poor protection from the midfield. This is purely down to the team selection...

I rate him at this level, i dont see him being a premier league defender but you never know.

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

8 games to assess his squad? What was he doing during pre season and on the training ground every day?

Training and behind closed doors friendly etc. will never replicate the real thing. So on that basis player assessment during training is largely meaningless.

I know some great pool players who when practicing can pot balls for fun; put them in match situation they fold. The analogy is the same.

12 minutes ago, sage said:

He took off a CM and put on a winger. They spot this and crowd midfield. They score 2 goals within 6 minutes of our substitution.

we have 11 players on the pitch when they score their second, 25 or so passes unchallenged covering all areas of the pitch. Nothing to do with formations or management. It's players simply not pressing the ball or having the intelligence, or the gumption, or desire, or whatever it is with them, to deal with it. Stand off and admire it all. 

For the first, again, nothing to do with taking off a CM and putting on a winger, it's about (not for the first time), our defenders just backing off, off, off, off and allowing a shot to come in.

Can't blame the manager for either, it's just poor play.

Sith Happens
3 minutes ago, curtains said:

Pearson is getting the blame for everything.

Bryson missed a sitter at Hull in the away leg to make it 3-3 aggregate score so let's blame Wassall when it's the players fault. 

Lets blame Wassall for Butterfield not taking one for the team for stopping  Hulls 3rd goal with a professional foul in the first leg at the IPRO not the player. 

hes the one who persisted with a formation and set-up that clearly doesnt work with the players at his disposal. End of, his fault.

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, curtains said:

No Keogh is the Captain and a big influence at Derby. 

i am sure you dont mean that as a compliment, but yes he is.

5 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

So the defending is really bad and costing us games...What did the manager do about it?

Surely either bring in a new defender or go more attacking and outscore teams.

Or just carry on what he was doing?

How can a manager get rid of Keogh look what happened with Martin and the backlash .

I don't rate Pearce either he wouldn't be in my team .

Shackell would be my captain. 

1 minute ago, Pearson said:

Training and behind closed doors friendly etc. will never replicate the real thing. So on that basis player assessment during training is largely meaningless.

I know some great pool players who when practicing can pot balls for fun; put them in match situation they fold. The analogy is the same.

Which makes identifying weaknesses in games even more important.

I saw no evidence of him rectifying any of the things that were costing us games.

Pearson is getting the blame for everything.

Bryson missed a sitter at Hull to make it 3-3 aggregate score so let's blame Wassall when it's the players fault. 

I think many people (including myself) were unhappy with the style of play under  Pearson. The football was shocking, without any imagination and led to the ball being constantly given away. Personally I am pleased that his behaviour led to him leaving and longer in control of the team.

How can a manager get rid of Keogh look what happened with Martin and the backlash .

I don't rate Pearce either he wouldn't be in my team. 

Shackell would be my captain. 

The Shackell who has fallen out with the last 2 managers is who you want as captain?

1 minute ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

Like it was just Keogh's fault for that goal. You may aswell blame the strikers for not scoring against a 10 man QPR.

No extra time was coming. 

Keoghs fault along with Buxton and Forsyth.

Yes Martin was poor at Wembley he never turned up. 

10 minutes ago, Pearson said:

Not disputing that, but I believe we were discussing managerial failure over time and opportunity.

The football style and approach is largely subjective and has to be measured against capability, delivery and unrealistic expectations.

Nige

OK then - capability, three years previous suggests top 6 is not an unrealistic expectation. Delivery - I think everyone accepts that Pearson did not have enough time to deliver what he saw as the way forward. Unrealistic expectations -  lowest scorers in the league, bottom three, 1 win in 9. I think most might have expected better, even with a change in direction.

Subjectively, the team looked awful, very little creativity or movement, didn't seem to have much of an idea about what they were doing as a team. It's fair to say that over time that would certainly have improved, how fast and well we'll never find out.

Ultimately, I think Nigel Pearson turned out to be the wrong man, for the right reasons (that squad do need some managing however talented some of the players might be). I've every confidence he'll find another club and do well, almost nailed on to win against us with his next team!

Sith Happens
2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Which makes identifying weaknesses in games even more important.

I saw no evidence of him rectifying any of the things that were costing us games.

Exactly, everyone knew what the problem was and how to rectify it, but he persisted. Ok, 442 may have worked one day with the right players but obvious to anyone it wasnt working. If i go into a new job and manage a team of people, i may feel i have my own ways of doing things that will be better but i would never install changes without spending considerable time assessing the role and my team and understanding strengths and weaknesses.

Archived