OFF the field matters the most

Half fan

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

I've seen this sort of thing said before.

Just out of interest, what do we think Sam Rush is doing? I very much doubt he is being paid a handsome salary to sit there doing nothing.

Basically, you are not saying for Sam Rush to do this or that, you are asking for MM to keep his nose out!

Im writing this at 4am as I'm up with my daughter who doesn't like sleep so sorry for any poor grammar or spelling but bit tired lol

Sam rush is a chief exec

to my knowledge a chief execs primary roles are, but not restricted to

acting as a go between from manager to chairman and chairman to manager with any concerns or requests from either party.

Sorts the process of transfer dealings, so deals with clubs and the agents when going after identified transfer targets.

Football admin, sourcing sponsorship deals ( assume with the aid of a commercial director) making sure the bills are paid and aiding with the day to day running of a football club, paying the catering company etc etc 

forest don't have a chief exec, or did have very briefly before he quit after a few months in the job and it's been well documented as to why the club is a bit of circus, company's, clubs and even players have been paid late cos of their lack of a chief exec so I'm assuming Sam is good at his job as this is one thing that hasn't been a problem at Derby  

I do think people think some think Sam has more power at the club than he actually has. In simple terms he brings things together and keeps all things derby county ticking over to which he is very good at, decision making though I don't think he will have much say that tends to be the man at the top 

just my take on it for what it's worth 

The club could do with this investigation being resulted very quickly. The longer it goes the more speculation and rumours will be about to the point where any statement finally released will be treated with suspicion on it truthfulness. 

I cant say I was pleased to hear that MM stormed into the dressing room when PC was here (still not happy he sacked him either), and that previous history and lack of information at present results in people connecting the dots here and drawing their own conclusions which paint MM in a negative light. To even it out, remember that NP has previous for grabbing an opposition player by the throat and had a not too friendly relationship with the media when things weren't going well. All I mean is, let's wait for some facts before we jump to conclusions about how well the club is run off the pitch. 

As for MM staying out and leaving it to SR. I have a boss, he has a boss and so does he, etc etc until you get to the top dog. Now should my boss, my bosses boss or even the top dog come and moan at me then that would be ok and nobody in between would feel aggrieved about it. You don't just manage those directly below you, you manage everyone. Your immediate boss will deal with day to day but you're still managed by those above him as well. I'm sure if SR felt undermined he'd be off, he has a good enough reputation at his job to go to another club. 

2 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

Im writing this at 4am as I'm up with my daughter who doesn't like sleep so sorry for any poor grammar or spelling but bit tired lol

Sam rush is a chief exec

to my knowledge a chief execs primary roles are, but not restricted to

acting as a go between from manager to chairman and chairman to manager with any concerns or requests from either party.

Sorts the process of transfer dealings, so deals with clubs and the agents when going after identified transfer targets.

Football admin, sourcing sponsorship deals ( assume with the aid of a commercial director) making sure the bills are paid and aiding with the day to day running of a football club, paying the catering company etc etc 

forest don't have a chief exec, or did have very briefly before he quit after a few months in the job and it's been well documented as to why the club is a bit of circus, company's, clubs and even players have been paid late cos of their lack of a chief exec so I'm assuming Sam is good at his job as this is one thing that hasn't been a problem at Derby  

I do think people think some think Sam has more power at the club than he actually has. In simple terms he brings things together and keeps all things derby county ticking over to which he is very good at, decision making though I don't think he will have much say that tends to be the man at the top 

just my take on it for what it's worth 

He probably has due to being on the board.

11 hours ago, Ewe Ram said:

I don't know where you get your questionable circumstances from. 

SM was making mugs out of all of us, PC wasn't doing his job and NP has done something which we don't know fully what yet. 

Maybe the question should be how we managed to take all 3 on, coincidence, 2 of the 3 could have continued on doing their job, time is the current issue, not enough of it.

If Chris Powell does not get the job we will have gone through Mac, Clement, Wassall, Pearson and Powell and heading into our 6 managerial post in 18 mths.

Even the idiots down the road haven't managed that feet!

14 hours ago, Half fan said:

Not at all, Ewe.

If you have a pension, chances are it is invested in public companies to whose management you entrust your money to give you a good return on your investment.

You and your fellow investors do not storm into those companies periodically and issue instructions over the heads of the CEO. If you are unhappy with the CEO's performance, you all decide together to replace the CEO when he comes up for re-election.

My point is that DCFC's part time owner is undermining his full-time CEO and his full-time Coach or Manager. At best this causes sudden and puzzling changes in direction and uncertainty amongst the staff. At worst it might cause some of the staff to go above the heads of their immediate boss and in effect ask for a new one because they can see that their immediate boss can be easily undermined. Then any new boss either declines the opportunity to take the job, or comes in and treads warily so as not to risk doing what he believes he should do, or goes in guns blazing - and rapidly out again!

Chaos ensues. A nightmare results. The brand of Derby County attracts unfavourable comment which none of us like to read.

My point is not that Mel sells or disappears but that he starts to run his company in a way which gives everybody in it the authority and confidence to perform. Which means - hold his CEO accountable and let his CEO have full authority over the rest of the staff.

The FACT that it was Mel and not Sam who had the flaming row with Pearson shows that Mel has not learnt from bursting into PC's dressing room.

Until he does learn, I am sorry to predict DCFC will remain in the Championship.

As stakeholders, we have the opportunity and the right to put Mel under pressure. We can do so via this site - or ultimately by attendances dropping or by unsavoury demonstrations at the iPro. I prefer to use this site. But it is unhelpful if some people miss the point. Mel is the owner, but a lot of fans speak of DCFC as being their club. In this respect, as with the owner of a stately home, the owner is the guardian for the future. He should therefore act carefully and not keep making the same mistakes just because he thinks his money entitles him to.

Apologies for ending that sentence with a prepostion.

Thank you for reading this nevertheless.

You make it sound as though Mel has gone bursting into the managers place of work and launched into him, whereas you really do not know any more than others what really happened. A reasonable assumption is that the altercation happened at the usual board meeting where the manager has to give his report. We do not know how the row ensued, it may well of been 100% Pearson. One thing we do know is that he wasn't suspended immediately so the chairman, CEO and other members of the board had time to reflect on possible actions before taking the one they did. My guess (and only a guess) is that the manager put the club in a position where action had to be taken, and they didn't shy away from it. If that is the case, well done DCFC and let's move on. 

17 hours ago, King Kevin said:

Not saying the off the field doesn't need sorting but if we were 10 points clear at the top everybody could be punching each others lights out or bonking on the steps of the Ipro and nobody would give a toss.

My kinda club!!!

14 minutes ago, bcnram said:

A reasonable assumption is that the altercation happened at the usual board meeting where the manager has to give his report.

Oh dear.

Is/was Pearson on the Board?

Surely a Manager gives his report to a CEO?

Even if the Manager is the guilty party in the flaming row that ensues, it should be the full time CEO he nearly punches and not the part time Chairman.

The CEO is the full time expert to whom every executive should report - and did before Mel became Chairman.

Mel is a part-timer whose expertise is in computer games.

Moreover, he has bad form in taking over roles Sam used to perform - remember who wrote the letter to fans last year?

The role of the Chairman is not to micro-manage and undermine the power of those below him. it is to create the environment in which they - be they Sam or the Manager or the players - can perform and achieve.

Mel's track record at DCFC is abject failure in this top priority.

It depresses me no end that this simple yardstick is dismissed by some of us, instead of us working together as stakeholders to demonstrate to Mel that he lacks our support and should wake up.

He, his wife, his cat, DCFC employees and we fans would all be so much happier.

54 minutes ago, curtains said:

Not saying I buy it BUT if the dude who pays your wages wants to have a meeting with you maybe don't start yelling at him and getting so aggressive you have to be restrained?

And for those who want to Mel-bash here - Mel Morris has been at the club longer than Pearson, has invested more than Pearson, is an actual Derby fan... Not sure why I should owe my loyalty to a mercenary manager who's been here a few months...

8 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Not saying I buy it BUT if the dude who pays your wages wants to have a meeting with you maybe don't start yelling at him and getting so aggressive you have to be restrained?

And for those who want to Mel-bash here - Mel Morris has been at the club longer than Pearson, has invested more than Pearson, is an actual Derby fan... Not sure why I should owe my loyalty to a mercenary manager who's been here a few months...

Ok on to the next manager. 

33 minutes ago, Half fan said:

Oh dear.

Is/was Pearson on the Board?

No of course not, why would he be?

Surely a Manager gives his report to a CEO?

It has been normal practice for many years for the manager to attend a board meeting and give a report / be questioned. The manager's job is after all crucial to the success of the club (one he has shown no sign of achieving in even a tiny way).

Even if the Manager is the guilty party in the flaming row that ensues, it should be the full time CEO he nearly punches and not the part time Chairman.

If you had sat on a board you would know that everything goes via the Chairman who controls the meeting. Are you suggesting that the manager ignores the Chairman and attempts to punch the CEO... jeeez!!! 

The Chairman controls the direction of the company (and more so if he is also the owner), the CEO is an officer of the company and takes his direction from the Chairman.

The CEO is the full time expert to whom every executive should report - and did before Mel became Chairman.

I am sure this would normally be the case, but if the altercation happened in a board meeting....... see above.

Mel is a part-timer whose expertise is in computer games.

Mel's expertise is in running companies very successfully, the product / service is not important.

Moreover, he has bad form in taking over roles Sam used to perform - remember who wrote the letter to fans last year?

Why wouldn't he?

The role of the Chairman is not to micro-manage and undermine the power of those below him. it is to create the environment in which they - be they Sam or the Manager or the players - can perform and achieve.

Mel's track record at DCFC is abject failure in this top priority.

Are you sure that he is micro-managing? As far as I am aware he has great trust in Sam who runs the day to day business.

It depresses me no end that this simple yardstick is dismissed by some of us, instead of us working together as stakeholders to demonstrate to Mel that he lacks our support and should wake up.

I am sorry to hear that you are depressed, that must be terrible for you. Maybe a nice cup of tea and a biscuit would help. There is plenty of help available via your GP I should think. Clearly Mel lacks your support, I am not so sure that you are in the majority.

He, his wife, his cat, DCFC employees and we fans would all be so much happier.

I don't think you have any qualifications to answer for any of these people (& cat).

Archived