OFF the field matters the most

Half fan

I know we devote much of our expert analysis and concern to what is happening ON the field. 433 or 422, Plans A or B, who is in the team and who is on the bench, injuries, transfers etc.

But as I keep saying, the current, dare i say, soap opera OFF the field is what needs sorting first.

As far as we know, the Chairman is part time - he has other business interests, roles and responsibilities, has he not?

This is why a Chairman needs a Chief Executive - someone who has no other distractions outside of DCFC and is charged with either performing his duties or being sacked for negligence.

Whether we are a Sam Rush fan or not, one thing is crystal clear. It was not Sam who burst into PC's dressing room, and it was not Sam who nearly came to blows with Pearson. The latter incident shows unfortunately that our Chairman has still not learnt the real lesson of the former incident.

It is impossible to run a business part-time. Something will go wrong sooner or later no matter how much money and PR is thrown at it.

So what we fans should really be worrying about is not when George will return but when Sam will return to being accountable to those above him and responsible for those below him, as he was under the Americans.

When I read that Mel has burst open Sam's door, or nearly come to blows with him, or hidden one of those micro-drones which look like spiders in Sam's office,  I might have some confidence that this penny has finally dropped with Mel.

Until then, bring on the jokes and the puns, fellow fans,  because, boy, will we need them!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen this sort of thing said before.

Just out of interest, what do we think Sam Rush is doing? I very much doubt he is being paid a handsome salary to sit there doing nothing.

Basically, you are not saying for Sam Rush to do this or that, you are asking for MM to keep his nose out!

The problem with trying to discuss off the field matters is we really don't have a deal of information to assess other than rumour and speculation. So it becomes a largely futile exercise because people just ending up guessing as to what might be happening because they know no better.

Take for instance the suspension of Pearson, there is actually very little to discuss regarding why he got suspended because there has been very little information available regarding it. So people just end up throwing around crazy rumours and speculation; it's pointless.

As far as im aware Mel is very new to the football world, and even though hes been a life long fan, it doesnt mean he has any idea of how to run a football club.

Other things made him rich, he bought Derby without any experience of how to run a football club and hes learning and making mistakes.

Im sure there would be many other Football fans that if they become very rich and they had the opportunity to buy their favourite club, they would.... 90% of them would be useless at owning and being chairman of that club though wouldnt they.

Mel's money is great, hes a real good investor financially in to the club... but as sole owner, does he know what hes doing?

I think thats the situation were in now.

4 minutes ago, Jon_Grooves said:

As far as im aware Mel is very new to the football world, and even though hes been a life long fan, it doesnt mean he has any idea of how to run a football club.

Other things made him rich, he bought Derby without any experience of how to run a football club and hes learning and making mistakes.

Im sure there would be many other Football fans that if they become very rich and they had the opportunity to buy their favourite club, they would.... 90% of them would be useless at owning and being chairman of that club though wouldnt they.

Mel's money is great, hes a real good investor financially in to the club... but as sole owner, does he know what hes doing?

I think thats the situation were in now.

He was part of the consortium that owned us before 

2 managers sacked from their respective clubs in the last 2 days after Only 5 & 4 months in their jobs.

Why should MM be singled out for his decision making when clearly other owners are doing the same.

I know they have fook all to do with us but are their fans lambasting the owners for sacking managers so soon?

( I know Pearson isn't sacked btw before some smart arse points it out) :p

1 minute ago, mwram1973 said:

2 managers sacked from their respective clubs in the last 2 days after Only 5 & 4 months in their jobs.

Why should MM be singled out for his decision making when clearly other owners are doing the same.

I know they have fook all to do with us but are their fans lambasting the owners for sacking managers so soon?

( I know Pearson isn't sacked btw before some smart arse points it out) :p

Were the other clubs using drones though?

1 hour ago, mwram1973 said:

Trollope and Di Matteo both sacked after better starts than Pearson AND both were on results grounds... Pearson's suspension doesn't seem to be based on results...

Some of us are sliding off the point, fellow fans.

Anyone who has worked in a disjointed organisation knows how difficult it is to achieve and sustain good results if it is unclear who is in charge of you - nominally in the case of DCFC it is Sam, but actually it is Mel  - which Mel's' involvement with PC and Pearson proves is a fact, it is not idle speculation.

All the worse when the real boss is the owner, part time, with a very short fuse and a history of shocking people. ( I nearly said 'shocking history' but that would have been misinterpreted.)

If we were to compare the past recent years' history of DCFC with that of Aston Villa and Cardiff, I suspect some common threads would emerge which link poor performance ON the pitch with unsatisfactory events OFF it.

Over to the detectives!

Sith Happens
2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

I've seen this sort of thing said before.

Just out of interest, what do we think Sam Rush is doing? I very much doubt he is being paid a handsome salary to sit there doing nothing.

Basically, you are not saying for Sam Rush to do this or that, you are asking for MM to keep his nose out!

Playing candy crush

14 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

So basically you want a rich bloke to fund everything at the club and then disappear leaving everyone else to get on with it. Yep. Dream on. 

Not at all, Ewe.

If you have a pension, chances are it is invested in public companies to whose management you entrust your money to give you a good return on your investment.

You and your fellow investors do not storm into those companies periodically and issue instructions over the heads of the CEO. If you are unhappy with the CEO's performance, you all decide together to replace the CEO when he comes up for re-election.

My point is that DCFC's part time owner is undermining his full-time CEO and his full-time Coach or Manager. At best this causes sudden and puzzling changes in direction and uncertainty amongst the staff. At worst it might cause some of the staff to go above the heads of their immediate boss and in effect ask for a new one because they can see that their immediate boss can be easily undermined. Then any new boss either declines the opportunity to take the job, or comes in and treads warily so as not to risk doing what he believes he should do, or goes in guns blazing - and rapidly out again!

Chaos ensues. A nightmare results. The brand of Derby County attracts unfavourable comment which none of us like to read.

My point is not that Mel sells or disappears but that he starts to run his company in a way which gives everybody in it the authority and confidence to perform. Which means - hold his CEO accountable and let his CEO have full authority over the rest of the staff.

The FACT that it was Mel and not Sam who had the flaming row with Pearson shows that Mel has not learnt from bursting into PC's dressing room.

Until he does learn, I am sorry to predict DCFC will remain in the Championship.

As stakeholders, we have the opportunity and the right to put Mel under pressure. We can do so via this site - or ultimately by attendances dropping or by unsavoury demonstrations at the iPro. I prefer to use this site. But it is unhelpful if some people miss the point. Mel is the owner, but a lot of fans speak of DCFC as being their club. In this respect, as with the owner of a stately home, the owner is the guardian for the future. He should therefore act carefully and not keep making the same mistakes just because he thinks his money entitles him to.

Apologies for ending that sentence with a prepostion.

Thank you for reading this nevertheless.

Archived