OFF the field matters the most

Half fan

Ok where do we start with that? Yes I do have a pension and I trust my advisor to invest. If it's performing badly I absolutely expect him to pull my investment and move it to where it's doing well. That deals with that. 

I worked many years in recruitment and I know that people will say anything at interview, lie in fact, and then have to be removed when they are clearly not performing. People rarely change and in that I agree Mel was wrong. He appointed a man who was a bad fit but was probably convinced by his interview and his previous successes. 

Youre assuming his CEO has had no say. We don't know that. 

I used to work for a football chairman and let me tell you Mel is not unusual. A very famous person was ejected from his office and ran down the stairs and into his Bentley faster than I've ever seen anyone run before! 

Yes it's our club but unfortunately we can't run it on ticket sales alone, football has changed, a wealthy owner is essential. I personally would rather a fan be in there than a faceless benefactor but then that my right to feel that way. If Mel gets hounded out by the fans and their petty sense of false entitlement then things will be a lot worse id bet. 

I'm starting to wonder (not aimed at you) if there's just the British way of trying to knock the successful man off his lofty perch going on here. 

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Half fan said:

The FACT that it was Mel and not Sam who had the flaming row with Pearson shows that Mel has not learnt from bursting into PC's dressing room.

This worries me the most.

It raises questions what's the real reason behind such behaviour.

Interestingly a certain Mr Abramovich was seen a Chelsea;s training ground recently and this was reported in the papers but I don't remember anyone getting bent out of shape over it.

My ex company had a very clear chain of command but it didn't mean that it was never by-passed when circumstances required it.

Just now, FindernRam said:

Interestingly a certain Mr Abramovich was seen a Chelsea;s training ground recently and this was reported in the papers but I don't remember anyone getting bent out of shape over it.

My ex company had a very clear chain of command but it didn't mean that it was never by-passed when circumstances required it.

I speak from very personal experience.

31 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

I speak from very personal experience.

Sorry to read this, Findern

But there are now three DCFC Coaches/Managers in the past two years with the same wounds inflicted in sometimes questionable circumstances.

It is starting to hurt us all!

3 hours ago, cheron85 said:

Trollope and Di Matteo both sacked after better starts than Pearson AND both were on results grounds... Pearson's suspension doesn't seem to be based on results...

It isn't - and the club have stated that fact.

nothing to do with results, formations, player power, tactics, bad apples, brawls between him and MM.

something has happened within the club involving NP and the result is he is suspended while the club sort it out.

I'm sure MM is as disappointed as anyone that this course of action has had to be taken.

9 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

There is no enquiry. It's now just lawyers arguing about how much of a payoff he will get. This is about trying to minimise FFP impact.

ITK or just guessing? I'd say that the balance of probabilities suggests that you are quite correct, but you seem very certain.

14 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Who's in charge of the inquiry into Pearson's conduct, Lord Chilcot?

He's been involved in an altercation, according to Radio Derby, so it shouldn't take that long to get to the bottom of it.

Really? Did Radio Derby say that? In that case they shouldn't be surprised that they were not allowed interviews after the game. 

I can't think of any club in history that has been successful and not well run.  Until we sort it out of the pitch we will never achieve anything on it.

Mel Morris needs to let the people he employs do their jobs.  I imagine he doesn't sit in Candy Crush towers coding the game.

Absolutely agree with the OP here, there's a reason why chief executives exist in football- it's because it's very much unlike other businesses, the stakes are hugely high and with such high pressure to succeed, and without total control over how the business performs results wise, any owner is under a tough job.

This makes it especially important that the man making the calls isn't nessercerily the man with the money, but the guy who's got experience in the area of football and makes the right decisions involving the team on the pitch.

It's this that makes me feel that, despite how much I appreciate what the guy is doing for the club, MM should take a back seat and let sam rush deal with footballing matters, whilst MM bankrolls the club and deals with the more business side of the club- of course all while taking a keen interest in the clubs performance.

He's a fan like the rest of us and if I was in his position I know how tempting it would be to try to have total control, but I feel it's best if he takes a bit of a back seat and let the more experienced guys in the field deal with footballing matters. That's not to say of course I don't appreciate the ambition MM shows, I hope he keeps investing like he has been because if he does and we make the right decisions, this club will rise and grow without doubt imo.

6 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Absolutely agree with the OP here, there's a reason why chief executives exist in football- it's because it's very much unlike other businesses, the stakes are hugely high and with such high pressure to succeed, and without total control over how the business performs results wise, any owner is under a tough job.

This makes it especially important that the man making the calls isn't nessercerily the man with the money, but the guy who's got experience in the area of football and makes the right decisions involving the team on the pitch.

It's this that makes me feel that, despite how much I appreciate what the guy is doing for the club, MM should take a back seat and let sam rush deal with footballing matters, whilst MM bankrolls the club and deals with the more business side of the club- of course all while taking a keen interest in the clubs performance.

He's a fan like the rest of us and if I was in his position I know how tempting it would be to try to have total control, but I feel it's best if he takes a bit of a back seat and let the more experienced guys in the field deal with footballing matters. That's not to say of course I don't appreciate the ambition MM shows, I hope he keeps investing like he has been because if he does and we make the right decisions, this club will rise and grow without doubt imo.

Agree absolutely.

Archived