Carson

Gaspode

Anyone who was there last night want to put their hand up as one of the many that moaned and groaned (and even booed in some cases) whenever Carson kicked the ball and it didn't end up with one of our players? The guy is obviously struggling at the moment and yet some of our fans seem to think it helps matters by very clearly moaning (particularly in the 1st half) if he mis-kicks the ball....I really don't get the idea of 'support' that involves so much negativity when the game is in play.....

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Anyone who was there last night want to put their hand up as one of the many that moaned and groaned (and even booed in some cases) whenever Carson kicked the ball and it didn't end up with one of our players? The guy is obviously struggling at the moment and yet some of our fans seem to think it helps matters by very clearly moaning (particularly in the 1st half) if he mis-kicks the ball....I really don't get the idea of 'support' that involves so much negativity when the game is in play.....

I thought it was worse with the ironic cheers when he kicked one that didnt go out, its like yeah thats going to help.

He is his own worse enemy at times. He claims the ball and we have runners and he dawdles with it. Why we reverted to the Grant>Fozzy tactics last night when we have no aerial dominance in the team I will never know. I think he is a cracking keeper but along with others is struggling confidence wise. Booing/jeering won't help. 

Carson has one massive weakness and that is long shots, he is never set ready for them. Hernandez for Hull in the playoff is another prime example to go along with last night. I think the level of kicking we're expecting from him is slightly unrealistic, Grant was far worse.

Isn't the ball back to the keeper followed by a useless punt to the opposition defence indicative of

a) the abdication of responsibility from the passer back

And

b) the lack of common sense application throughout the squad?

In our current team we should have fines for 'over head height'.

59 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Carson is certainly struggling. A lot of Derby fans rate him highly and I read one person on here say he cant believe he is not in the premiership.

For me he is overrated and I wouldn't mind seeing a new keeper come January.

Why not give Mitchell a run of games? He's decent, maybe better than decent, who knows?

the strike from Varney was good, and powerful, and yes Carson probably should have kept it out.

I agree with the comment that his fallibility seems to be long range shots, however I'd rather have him than Grant.

I thought the sliced kick towards Christie was an intention tactic? (It happened so often)

If we'd had converted some of our chances to score, we wouldn't be talking about Carson at all IMO 

20 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

the strike from Varney was good, and powerful, and yes Carson probably should have kept it out.

If we'd had converted some of our chances to score, we wouldn't be talking about Carson at all IMO 

Would expect most decent championship keepers to save the Varney shot, which was firm but close to Carson, who was caught unawares. It happens and yes, if we had been 3-0 up it may not have been a talking point.

20 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Personally I thought Eric steele got our keepers distributing the ball better than we're seeing under Zubi. 

Absolutely. Grant's quick distribution was crucial to our game when McClaren was here. When he was injured and we brought in Butland it was astounding the difference just a couple of weeks working with Steele made to his game.

Archived