West Ham v Watford trouble

Tony Le Mesmer

Quite a bit of trouble in the stands at this game. Some with WHU fans fighting other WHU about things such as standing up and blocking others views of the game and allsorts going off.

Apparently it's happening every game now. Fighting between WHU and Bournemouth fans outside the ground the other week too. I didn't know Bournemouth fans had much of this element. Been to quite a few away games with some Cherries fans when in league 2 and great bunch (if you pardon the pun). Then the Man Utd coach attack incident too.

Makes you put things into perspective and whatever we might say about sections of the Derby fans booing and being negative and the like, by and large they seem on the face of it mostly a decent bunch and any trouble involving Rams, if any, would be minimal.

Would this be fair to say?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every club has isolated incidents and Derby are no different. You hear about the odd altercation between fans outside the ground and a couple of seasons ago some 2nd hand air con salesman had his banger vandalised outside the West Stand. Having said that, West Ham seem to be worse than most. I don't know the ins and outs of the stadium move, but it's easy to see how it could cause tension if it wasn't made clear which area would be set aside for the noisy fans. If we moved to a new stadium and groups from the South Stand who are used to being able to stand up get stuck in front of some people from the West Stand there would likely be some incidents.

This is pure speculation, but I don't know how seriously West Ham take their hooliganism problem. I get the impression that they try to ignore it and blame others, such as the owner's ludicrous assertion that it was Man United's fault that their coach was bottled because they didn't go to the ground stupidly early. I've seen the set up at Leeds and their crowd control office is like mission control at NASA. Every section is covered with camera feeds and there is a zero tolerance policy for trouble makers with banning orders handed out for even relatively minor infractions. Maybe it's time West Ham implemented something similar at the Olympic Stadium.

I've have been to the stadium during the Olympics and again this year for an athletics meeting. I had a chat to the steward about some of the concerns I had re security both in and around the ground. At the end of the conversation I asked her if she was going to steward the football games, she said 'not a chance'.

For those who haven't been, you arrive at the Olympic Park at one of 3 entrances. By far the biggest of which is Stratford, which is also the nearest one to the ground. You have to walk through a Westfield Shopping Centre (semi-indoor part) to get to the stadium. There is a concrete concourse all the way around the ground a little like Wembley.

After my visit I foresaw problems when they play Spurs and Chelsea (they are ambivalent about Arsenal, a little like Leicester with us) but now they are having issues against Bournemouth, I can see a major incident happening.       

1 hour ago, Anon said:

Every club has isolated incidents and Derby are no different. You hear about the odd altercation between fans outside the ground and a couple of seasons ago some 2nd hand air con salesman had his banger vandalised outside the West Stand. Having said that, West Ham seem to be worse than most. I don't know the ins and outs of the stadium move, but it's easy to see how it could cause tension if it wasn't made clear which area would be set aside for the noisy fans. If we moved to a new stadium and groups from the South Stand who are used to being able to stand up get stuck in front of some people from the West Stand there would likely be some incidents.

This is pure speculation, but I don't know how seriously West Ham take their hooliganism problem. I get the impression that they try to ignore it and blame others, such as the owner's ludicrous assertion that it was Man United's fault that their coach was bottled because they didn't go to the ground stupidly early. I've seen the set up at Leeds and their crowd control office is like mission control at NASA. Every section is covered with camera feeds and there is a zero tolerance policy for trouble makers with banning orders handed out for even relatively minor infractions. Maybe it's time West Ham implemented something similar at the Olympic Stadium.

Shouldn't be a problem - West Stand fans don't face the pitch, do they?

1 hour ago, Bridgford Ram said:

West Ham are in danger of becoming a the new Millwall (not for the violence, more for being the team everyone hates) with them being handed a new stadium at the taxpayers expense, the trouble etc.  Shame as the likes of Payet and Kouyate and Lanzini are decent players.

If someone were to offer me a new stadium and pay a sundry amount of rent on it every year I wouldn't say no, why is this a reason to hate someone?  So more the fools who have given West Ham that opportunity, they should be the figures of ridicule.

58 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

If someone were to offer me a new stadium and pay a sundry amount of rent on it every year I wouldn't say no, why is this a reason to hate someone?  So more the fools who have given West Ham that opportunity, they should be the figures of ridicule.

I agree anything to do with football doesn't warrant hate but you ask Tottenham fans whose club are having to spend hundreds of millions building a stadium and you may hear some animosity.

2 hours ago, Bridgford Ram said:

West Ham are in danger of becoming a the new Millwall (not for the violence, more for being the team everyone hates) with them being handed a new stadium at the tax payers expense, the trouble etc.  Shame as the likes of Payet and Kouyate and Lanzini are decent players.

Yes had to admit I enjoyed their collapse this weekend. Especially as they started the showboating too early!

1 hour ago, Inglorius said:

It's the politics I hate, its London or nothing! Their should be more opportunities in the midlands too!

I've never been keen on West Ham and never liked Bilić since he made racist comments to Wanchope and got sent off. Funny how his West Ham team's success has been mostly built on ethnic players though!

42 minutes ago, Jean Antoine Tessier said:

Yes had to admit I enjoyed their collapse this weekend. Especially as they started the showboating too early!

Couldn't happen to a nicer board of directors either. Brum to West Ham, opportunistic move to Olympic stadium; sure you would if offered but highly questionable on moral fairness. But then football doesn't have to be fair. So back to my original point hope they struggle and cries of your grounds to big for you follow.

2 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

Shouldn't be a problem - West Stand fans don't face the pitch, do they?

Only when booing ;)

7 hours ago, sage said:

After my visit I foresaw problems when they play Spurs and Chelsea (they are ambivalent about Arsenal, a little like Leicester with us) but now they are having issues against Bournemouth, I can see a major incident happening.       

I'm not ambivalent about Leicester and I guess you aren't either. I don't give a stuff about them.

6 hours ago, Bridgford Ram said:

I agree anything to do with football doesn't warrant hate but you ask Tottenham fans whose club are having to spend hundreds of millions building a stadium and you may hear some animosity.

I'm sure Tottenham fans would prefer to spend money on a proper ground with fans near the pitch rather than the airy monstrosity that West Ham now play in, I feel sorry for the fans that have had to move to the prawn sandwich stadium

Just seen the SSN article on this and one of the major issues appears to be the management of the crowd by the stewards. 

Which of course west ham now don't directly control as they've effectively outsourced it  (or got it for free).

Is there any surprise that if a particularly tight commercial deal is negotiated then quality in the service provider suffer's as they cut costs?

So this might be some chickens coming home to roost.

• 2 weeks later...

One of the problems is there are no police in the ground as they are refusing to enter on a deterrent basis as there is no communication system available within the ground.

They have just announced a 3 point plan to sort the problems out.  

On 12/09/2016 at 21:15, sage said:

Opps wrong word alert

God knows what i meant to type but i'll go with indifferent

That means 'marvellous'.

As in "Oh, that's marvellous".

"Yes, it's indifferent".

Not related to trouble but not worth a separate thread...

West Ham's attendances have been 56,000 for their home games. Very impressive, but a bit of a new ground honeymoon period and all that I thought, but they were a fraction under 40,000 for a Wednesday night League Cup game against Accrington.

Where have all these fans come from?

Seems like they've got a number of problems:

• Lack of proper segregation under the stands - apparently West Ham & Bournemouth fans were both using the same toilets and trouble kicked off - recipe for disaster when Chelsea are there....
  • Folk randomly standing up because they were allowed to do it at the old ground (which the club turned a blind-eye to) - and the low angle on the lower stands means that folk behind are getting their view obstructed and fights are breaking out.
  • Apparently no proper planning when people bought their seats at the new ground - seems that the seats were sold via a 3rd party from a unit in the local shopping centre with little involvement from the club - and there doesn't seem to have been any idea that they should have a 'singing' stand or a family stand so the noisier folk are spread randomly round the ground - again causing friction - hard to see how they can fix that in the short-term.....

I can't put my finger on it, but I must say that it couldn't happen to a nicer club.....

Archived