strange one

B4ev6is

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, bcnram said:

5-1 and Stimac scored the goal against Tranmere. I am pretty sure the unbeaten run stretched to 18 games.

I am getting old now and the memory is not as good as it used to be. Thanks for the clarification and correcting my spelling of Stimac

1 hour ago, BathRam72 said:

Guys. Martin has been a great player at this club and holds a big place in a Derby fans heart. But let's face it, he obviously doesn't fit in whatever the manager has in mind.

Martin hasn't exactly set the world alight during this campaign or at the end of last season to be honest. By his standards he is not performing (you can argue the style we are adopting doesn't suit him) but isn't that the point. Why keep someone on the basis "he was a great player and our best striker for years, when we played the old system LAST year and before".

Wait and see what the season brings and if we are not showing signs of improving then start your moaning.

We all have to move on and get behind the club not stand in the way.

I have never witnessed so much negativity around this club.

I have said it in another thread, when we bought in Stimach around November 2005 I think. we were languishing in the bottom half and going nowhere. I also believe we lost our first game with Stimach in it 5 - 0 (I stand to be corrected). We then went on a winning streak of about 10 games. 

Stick with it for now and let's see what happens. 

Stimac came in 1995.

47 minutes ago, bcnram said:

5-1 and Stimac scored the goal against Tranmere. I am pretty sure the unbeaten run stretched to 18 games.

It was 20 unbeaten in the league

Surely with Martin gone, Blackman will get a chance up front? I feel sorry for the guy, he gets bought for a decent fee based on his record up front for Reading (at the time he was the top goal-scorer in the Championship or thereabouts) then he comes to Derby and gets played on the wing!

Its like buying a Spanner and then complaining that its not as good as a Hammer for banging nails in!

Blackman and Bent played up front in the Shaun Barker Testimonial, and while its fair to say that the Legends defence wasn't up to much, I thought just how much more comfortable Blackman looked centrally. It could have been the relaxing atmosphere of a testimonial, but I'd like to see him give five games up top to see what he can do.

I'm sad that Chrissy Martin has gone, he's been a good player for us, at times very good, but he was nowhere near as effective last season as previously. He clearly doesn't fit in with Big Nige's fans and if his on the pitch body language at times has been anything to go by, he may be a difficult person to have around when things aren't going his way!

I could imagine Chrissy asking his missus to pass the salt pot to him at the dinner table and then throwing his arms up in the air, turning his back to her and moaning that she didn't put it nearer to his plate! :) 

3 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

Like I said. Memory is rubbish. But you got the gist. To be fair to me I did say a ten game winning streak not unbeaten. I don't think we won all 20.

We won the first 3 then drew :lol: then won 7 league games (lost to Leeds in the FA cup after the 6th win)

On 01/09/2016 at 00:02, G STAR RAM said:

It's horrendous ain't it. Only spent  12 bloody million (plus a loan few for Wilson).

Has Mel not learned his lesson from last season? The only way out of this division and that is to spend loads of money...oh wait we tried that already.

If I was Mel I'd be doing the same, a sell to buy, no more stupid net losses for championship players.

I was excited by Johnson and Ince last summer, but we bought a lot of players we didn't need, and now we're having to offload before buying, that's what happens when you go and spend silly money just because "we've got it".

NP has been brought in to sort out a cluster f***

I quite amazed by some of the reactions on this thread.

Has it escaped everyone's notice that Chris Martin is rubbish unless the team is built around him. He needs to play the pivot role in a 433 with full backs feeding him early and midfielders getting close to him. In that system he's brilliant - in any other he's a waste of a shirt.

433 has failed for three seasons now. The club had two options. Either tweak the squad and try to push on with 433 or bring in someone with fresh ideas to develop a different way of playing. I can see merit in the former, but IMO it wouldn't work. Teams have worked that system out and I reckon it would never yield enough points for a top two slot and rarely now get us into the top six. Mel has chosen to bring in a manager who has never played 433 on a regular basis. Clearly then, Mel has chosen the latter option. I believe that Mel has made the right decision. As soon as the decision was taken, Martin was always on borrowed time.

Now, I'm a bit concerned at the lack of beef in our forward line, but I suspect that will be addressed in the next window. Pearson is not a short term fix. We all need to relax and give the man the time to rebuild our squad. I fully believe that we'll be a top ten Premier League side within the next four years. 

I think a lot of the fans on here have placed too much emphasis on the player that Chris Martin was two years ago and not enough on the player he is now and, most importantly, will be in the future. There has clearly been a decline in his performance level, and whether that is down to a lack of service, a lack of application, the lingering effects of his injury in 2014-15, changes in tactics, etc, we can debate until the cows come home. However, there was clearly a problem and NP has addressed it. Whether his solution will be effective remains to be seen but we need to give him the benefit of the doubt and get behind him and the team.

It's never dull being a Rams fan, is it?

To be clear I've liked c Martin in his time at Derby ,he's given us some good times but change is change , teams evolve and move on ,it's how football is , for whatever reasons he does not fit with the direction our manager wants to take us whether that be formation ,style of play , attitude team spirit or all of those ,, as such I thank Martin for some good times and wish him all the best for his own career going forward ,I hope he does well at Fulham or wherever he eventually settles and hope when/if he plays at the I pro against us we give him a standing ovation fitting to a player that gave us some good times 

B4 - Martin had gone 14 games without a goal. How many more games did he have to go without scoring before you say he isn't contributing?

My concern going forward is the lack of height and physical presence in the midfield and attack now.

Hughes, Ince, Bryson, Butterfield, Wilson, Vydra, Russell - we could play any 6 from these seven and I'm not sure a single one of them is over 6 foot.

Johnson needs to find form and the sooner Thorne is back (without rushing him) the better.

If we are somehow close to top 6 by Jan, this needs addressing.

2 minutes ago, rammieib said:

B4 - Martin had gone 14 games without a goal. How many more games did he have to go without scoring before you say he isn't contributing?

My concern going forward is the lack of height and physical presence in the midfield and attack now.

Hughes, Ince, Bryson, Butterfield, Wilson, Vydra, Russell - we could play any 6 from these seven and I'm not sure a single one of them is over 6 foot.

Johnson needs to find form and the sooner Thorne is back (without rushing him) the better.

If we are somehow close to top 6 by Jan, this needs addressing.

Hughes is 6 foot I believe and Johnson is only 5 10

Strikers tend to be the players club change most. Not many clubs these days stick with the same strike force for more than a couple of seasons. Perhaps Martin himself wanted a fresh start, maybe he had grown mentally weary of having to carry the clubs fortune, the way we used him to get his best meant everything was built around him, that is not a suitable long term plan. We were reliant on him and never had a plan for without him or if he was off form, that approach might work for a season or two but any longer and it becomes stale and predictable.

I think we all need to get past the call of nostalgia and accept the club wishes to change our attacking direction, you never know it might be enjoyable!

10 minutes ago, CHCDerby said:

Exactly this.

I am so glad Martin has gone, he's been getting on my nerves ever since we played Wolves last October. That was the last game IMO he even tried for our club.

The amount of times he was on the floor is more than Gabbiadini, I still like Gabbiadini though.  If I was Fulham, I'd stop him from chewing that stupid gum and the first time he gives that sarcastic look because the referee hasn't fallen for his diving antics, I'd chuck him in the River Thames.

We now have a new look attacking force which is far more appealing than Martin, Ince and Russell.

I read this post then in the next thread I read this

2 minutes ago, CHCDerby said:

Some people would only be happy if we have the players of a top 4 prem team.

Why even criticise any players. Just bloody get behind them and respect the managements decisions.

I'd have done this and I'd have that, just remember this 'You can't do anything about it', your a supporter and not part of the board.

Maybe you should start listening to your own advice?

5 hours ago, admira said:

Normally getting a new manager in so early (e.g May) should give you an advantage in both the transfer market and having time to make adjustments but it feels like we've wasted the opportunity. 

He was giving them a chance though. and towards the end it was obvious we had trouble makers in the team, one's that were having their cushy lives at the club taken away, they're there to play and improve, not sit around picking up a wage and making other peoples lives at the club difficult.

NP deserves a lot of respect for giving them a chance, they refused to take it and now their being cleared out the club.

4 hours ago, Gritters said:

Martin is thinking yeah I've got 20k fans backing my corner I'm God around these parts.

Pearson thinks this will have to change no one is bigger than the club. Transfer window Martin is gone. Pearson thinks cheer now when you see him warming up.

This!

Martin was an arrogant sod, he thought he was gods gift before that cheer though, helped in getting 2 head coaches sacked, and also played a part in the belittling of Wassall.

NP saw it early on and got him out the door however he could

Archived