Why is it a "disgrace" to lose to Burton?

Albert

They made it to this league, have a good manager, some talent players and it's not even as though that's their first win of the season. 

I get the frustration at a slow start, but it's still very early in the season. If anything the only disgrace I've seen this season is the disrespect some on here are showing to Burton, they are not pushovers. 

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wouldn't surprise me if Burton are comfortably top half at the end of the season, if not higher. They don't have any big names in their team, just a bunch of players who work their socks off to do what the manager tells them. Remind me a little bit of Burnley when everyone thought they'd be relegated and they ended up going up.

Sith Happens
Just now, Albert said:

They made it to this league, have a good manager, some talent players and it's not even as though that's their first win of the season. 

I get the frustration at a slow start, but it's still very early in the season. If anything the only disgrace I've seen this season is the disrespect some on here are showing to Burton, they are not pushovers. 

Its not, we lost to barnsley too, its poor form losing to two promoted teams, but to say its a disgrace is totally disrespectful to them. They have earned their place in the division, we all know on any given day even at PL level any team can beat another.

I dont even get the shock people are displaying, on our current form i am not surprised we lost at all, they were going to be up for it.

The one thing to remember is we know we have the ability to improve and i am sure we will, its a shame for us that this fixture was so early in the season.

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, Cam the Ram said:

Wouldn't surprise me if Burton are comfortably top half at the end of the season, if not higher. They don't have any big names in their team, just a bunch of players who work their socks off to do what the manager tells them. Remind me a little bit of Burnley when everyone thought they'd be relegated and they ended up going up.

hope they are.

Burton could be the 'Iceland' of the Championship. A thoroughly well run club, everyone has the right attitude and they get the best out of what limited players they have. On that basis,they come up against a supposedly bigger and better team with players not up for it and they will win games. Nothing particularly groundbreaking about the way they approach games, just that everyone knows their job, they are clearly organised with a gameplan and they give 100% and against weak players like Derby have in abundance then they can be fully effective. Can't say that about Derby at all this season despite having supposedly superior players on a darn sight more money.

It's not a disgrace to lose to them because they are a capable side. It was the performance our players put in that was the disgrace, and they have further disgraced themselves against all the other sides we've played this season for large parts of those games.

Sad thing is though, I doubt they're even bothered what we think.

Well done Burton. I've been on the away terrace there with Torquay and always found the club and the fans a real friendly bunch. So long as they don't start getting an increasing number of  boneheads causing trouble for away fans like last night then I see no reason to change this opinion.

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

no disgrace in losing any game against any opponent when you give it your all.

The disgrace is in the performance.

Haven't you been arguing with people who have suggested the effort isn't there? 

Surely this comment is you agreeing that they aren't trying hard enough out there? 

Not an attempt an at argument just curious as to whether your opinion has changed. 

6 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Haven't you been arguing with people who have suggested the effort isn't there? 

Surely this comment is you agreeing that they aren't trying hard enough out there? 

Not an attempt an at argument just curious as to whether your opinion has changed. 

I mean collectively. I don't think Derby as a club, including players, manager and coaches, gave it their all. Brain/Intelligence wasn't used. Clough could never out-do a manager like Pearson when he was Derby manager, so how has he done it now.

Lots of energy was put in last night, it was just wasted effort, the team wasn't optimised for the effort. It was like using a 1" paintbrush to paint a room when you could be using a roller.. Wasted. Misguided. Lacking intelligence.

1 minute ago, Mostyn6 said:

I mean collectively. I don't think Derby as a club, including players, manager and coaches, gave it their all. Brain/Intelligence wasn't used. Clough could never out-do a manager like Pearson when he was Derby manager, so how has he done it now.

Lots of energy was put in last night, it was just wasted effort, the team wasn't optimised for the effort. It was like using a 1" paintbrush to paint a room when you could be using a roller.. Wasted. Misguided. Lacking intelligence.

I honestly think that the players couldn't have been putting their all in purely on the basis that they're good players. Technically good players shouldn't be hitting every cross out for a throw in/goal kick. Technically good players shouldn't be misplacing 10 yard passes or knocking the ball 10 yards over Martins head. 

That for me as a lack of effort to do the basics right. The basics only require effort as a professional, you're at a level where you don't need to be technically gifted to do the basics right. We didn't do the basics right so the effort wasn't there. Maybe through complacency or confidence I'm not sure. 

8 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

I honestly think that the players couldn't have been putting their all in purely on the basis that they're good players. Technically good players shouldn't be hitting every cross out for a throw in/goal kick. Technically good players shouldn't be misplacing 10 yard passes or knocking the ball 10 yards over Martins head. 

That for me as a lack of effort to do the basics right. The basics only require effort as a professional, you're at a level where you don't need to be technically gifted to do the basics right. We didn't do the basics right so the effort wasn't there. Maybe through complacency or confidence I'm not sure. 

those players doing that though have always done that, even when we was winning under McClaren. You've always got a problem if your main creative players are receiving the ball in the defensive third and never in the offensive third of the pitch.

Just now, Mostyn6 said:

those players doing that though have always done that, even when we was winning under McClaren. You've always got a problem if your main creative players are receiving the ball in the defensive third and never in the offensive third of the pitch.

But Pearson isn't the first coach to play Hughes in a defensive role and usually he plays the role well. Clearly not Thorne-well but I'd play him there ahead of Baird for sure and he's always done a job yet it seems to go to pot at the moment. 

Lim not comfortable with having midfielders who dictate how we set up because they're not able to adjust to another system. It's piss poor. Butterfield disappointed last night, he has the ability to be more creative than Hughes yet didn't do enough to get on the ball/create something. 

2 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

One thing I noticed last night was we were a poor second to the ball most of the time. I had a vision of us in training playing around half heartedly and expecting loads of time and space with the ball. Reality was we had no time, got caught out in possession and lost the majority of loose balls. That's nothing to do with tactics it is basic football that u11s learn.

Good on Burton. They were excellent. We were insipid.

Hopefully it gives Pearson the ammunition he needs.

And I must admit that, as much as I was shocked and p15sed off by our performance, I almost had to smile for Clough. I hope he keeps them well out of trouble. 

On 27/08/2016 at 18:45, IlsonDerby said:

But Pearson isn't the first coach to play Hughes in a defensive role and usually he plays the role well. Clearly not Thorne-well but I'd play him there ahead of Baird for sure and he's always done a job yet it seems to go to pot at the moment. 

Lim not comfortable with having midfielders who dictate how we set up because they're not able to adjust to another system. It's piss poor. Butterfield disappointed last night, he has the ability to be more creative than Hughes yet didn't do enough to get on the ball/create something. 

The thing for Hughes is that all the play was behind him. The gap between him and Martin was mostly empty. With that being empty it allowed Burton midfield to really press on us. Giving Hughes less time and few options. 

Same happened to Bryson. He was effectively turned to face Keogh. 

There was really little choice but to go long in the hope of catching Burton out or getting them to drop off. 

I know they can all play better but I genuinley think they're a bit directionless at the moment. Not really feeling confident.

Makes them panicky and hesitant at the same time.

1 hour ago, David said:

Losing to any team in this league is a disgrace and draws are for peasants, we're Derby County we should beat everyone, they are all nobody's down here.

Yes but Burton Albion who play in a goldfish bowl .

I mean come on. 

You will  be telling me they brew good beer next in Burton. 

Archived