Thorne in our side?

Carl Sagan

I don't expect that many of us have been expecting George Thorne to surprise us and suddenly speed his way back to fitness, but we've lived in hope.

Sadly we're going to have to wait longer than we'd all want for the early season cavalry. There's been another setback in his recovery so we're looking at mid-October until he's expected to be fit. Probably no real surprise for the pragmatists on the forum, but I thought I'd pass it on.

Once he is back it goes without saying that we'll have to manage him carefully. Let's hope he has a great season once he returns, without any new mishaps.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, DCFCArmy said:

Not shocked. Sadly he's made of glass and IMO his career will peter out :(, no good getting down about it, he's 24 and he's played no more than 40 league games or something like that. 

He's 23 and played double that. That tackle would have broken most peoples leg.

1 hour ago, Saul Pimpson said:

When he returns, we should just let him play out the season with the U23's instead of rushing him yet again.

Yet again? We've only rushed him once.

5 minutes ago, bcnram said:

The broken leg on its own wouldn't be an issue but when you have blown out both knees and add the broken leg on top the accumulation of damage has an effect. He may well recover but there is no way he plays deep in to his 30's at this point I wouldn't think.

As far as I understand it, properly treated, ligament and bone-break injuries grow back stronger.  It's not like hamstrings where it will just get worse and worse and keep re-occuring.  The only problem he's going to have is catching up on all the fitness and gametime he's missed.

15 hours ago, Saul Pimpson said:

When he returns, we should just let him play out the season with the U23's instead of rushing him yet again.

I agree rushing him back would be dangerous but not sure playing him at this level where inexperience is rife and the risk of someone getting hurt through late/miss timed tackles is a good idea.

We also seem to be (fingers crossed) starting to find our first team 11 and if we now stabilise and become a force, he might not figure for some time. We all know how good he is, but he will need to build fitness and get his skills back up, THEN try and fit in to what might and hopefully will be a well oiled machine by the end of Oct.

On 16/08/2016 at 17:57, DCFCArmy said:

Not shocked. Sadly he's made of glass and IMO his career will peter out :(, no good getting down about it, he's 24 and he's played no more than 40 league games or something like that. 

On 16/08/2016 at 18:02, bcnram said:

According to the normmally reliable soccerbase out George is 23 and has started 88 games coming off the bench in another 6, so that is almost a hundred matches and not the weird "40" plucked out of the air. That's more than two very full seasons or close to three seasons for an average player, which isn't bad for a 23 year old.

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=52945

Let's hope he's back soon and able to give us a boost when he returns.

On 16.8.2016 at 20:29, duncanjwitham said:

As far as I understand it, properly treated, ligament and bone-break injuries grow back stronger.  It's not like hamstrings where it will just get worse and worse and keep re-occuring.  The only problem he's going to have is catching up on all the fitness and gametime he's missed.

Bones yes, but ligaments nope.

Archived