The whining about Pearson thread

cheron85

47 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

It's not so much that, it's the fact we've been in a strong position to kick on for 3 seasons, probably the strongest position we've been in for 15 years.  Yet the two managers we've appointed since have shown no interest in doing that, they've both seemingly wanted to tear it all down and start again.  We spent 5 years under Clough getting our house in order, making steady improvement, then 2 years under McClaren tweaking it and really kicking on (and barring some luck at Wembley, or some luck with injuries a year later, we'd have been promoted).  But now we're almost in the position where we've got to start all over again, get our house in order again and rebuild from scratch and that 7 years under Clough and McClaren has been a complete and utter waste of everyone's time and money.

You're nearer to the facts of the matter, but I still maintain there is a bit of that attitude around in the fan base. Due to my situation (location etc) I dont get to many games, but I went on opening day and from the team being announced onwards there seemed to me a very real sense of "hed better prove me wrong because he picked the wrong players" and the crowd that day was like it was choked until the Johnson/Hughes sub. 

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

You're nearer to the facts of the matter, but I still maintain there is a bit of that attitude around in the fan base. Due to my situation (location etc) I dont get to many games, but I went on opening day and from the team being announced onwards there seemed to me a very real sense of "hed better prove me wrong because he picked the wrong players" and the crowd that day was like it was choked until the Johnson/Hughes sub. 

There certainly is an element of that, but it's pretty justified IMO for the reasons I said above.  Our success over that last few seasons has been built on certain players and certin styles of play.  If Pearson is going to come and drop all of those good players and abandon all of those styles of play, he damn well better justify that decision.  And at the moment he's a million miles away from it - we look worse in every single regard at the moment.

1 hour ago, duncanjwitham said:

It's not so much that, it's the fact we've been in a strong position to kick on for 3 seasons, probably the strongest position we've been in for 15 years.  Yet the two managers we've appointed since have shown no interest in doing that, they've both seemingly wanted to tear it all down and start again.  We spent 5 years under Clough getting our house in order, making steady improvement, then 2 years under McClaren tweaking it and really kicking on (and barring some luck at Wembley, or some luck with injuries a year later, we'd have been promoted).  But now we're almost in the position where we've got to start all over again, get our house in order again and rebuild from scratch and that 7 years under Clough and McClaren has been a complete and utter waste of everyone's time and money.

The thing is as well, Clement was sacked for trying to change too much! We appear directionless at the minute. 

Pearson may well have been brought in to re-build, fair enough - but that then makes the justification for sacking Clement void and the period under Wassall a waste of time.

59 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

Hardly been a waste of time. There are supporters of some clubs who may have been waiting 10 years or more for the kind of exciting football we got under McClaren. Some fans may never see their club have such a brilliant roller coaster season. Those most upset will be those who didn't enjoy the good because they were waiting for the bad. Let us stop being so precious and give this season more time to unfold. Yes it has been a frustrating start but all shall soon be revealed.

17 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

Hardly been a waste of time. There are supporters of some clubs who may have been waiting 10 years or more for the kind of exciting football we got under McClaren. 

But that's exactly the point.  We spent those 10 years building up to that season (or at least the 5 under Clough anyway).  It wasn't a fluke, there was a clear mindset to build the club from the ground up to play in that style of football and almost everything is still in place from that rebuild.  And now we're basically being told that we've got to have another rebuild because... erm, something something Leicester and Burnley something something.  We're actively deciding that instead of carrying on with that exciting football, we're going to be rubbish.

Jeeeeeeez , whether you think our side over the last few seasons were brilliant and a few injuries or tweets away from being good enough ,, whether you thought they were great to watch but ultimately lacking the spine and nouse to get the job done , whether you think clough should nt have been sacked , whether you thought clement should have been given more time or wax sacked for non footballing reasons , whether you thought wassell was the answer ,,,,, ITS GONE ,, Mac got some bloody good loans on that massively helped clough said team and not enough has been made of losing Ibe when recalled and the effect that had and losing wisdom ,,,, .  Pearson is manager and HAS to be allowed to do the job he s been brought in to do his way and it will take time ,,, the poor performances we are seeing at the start of his time with us are the exact same poor performances we were served up far too many times by this squad at vital times  since the qpr play off loss no matter who we put in the first team and what 4/3/3 formation they played in ,,,, ffs let the man do his job , he's earnt the right to be given a bit of time by his past record at liecester ,,,, too many want him to fail and expect him to carry on with the squad and system that have never quite been enough

How come Zenga at Wolves who came in on the Thursday before the season kicked off incidentally has got his team scoring 8 goals despite never having seen them play before yet the great man needs time, what was he doing since he accepted the gig ? 

Not researching his playing staff by the looks of it. 

17 minutes ago, archied said:

Jeeeeeeez , whether you think our side over the last few seasons were brilliant and a few injuries or tweets away from being good enough ,, whether you thought they were great to watch but ultimately lacking the spine and nouse to get the job done , whether you think clough should nt have been sacked , whether you thought clement should have been given more time or wax sacked for non footballing reasons , whether you thought wassell was the answer ,,,,, ITS GONE ,, Mac got some bloody good loans on that massively helped clough said team and not enough has been made of losing Ibe when recalled and the effect that had and losing wisdom ,,,, .  Pearson is manager and HAS to be allowed to do the job he s been brought in to do his way and it will take time ,,, the poor performances we are seeing at the start of his time with us are the exact same poor performances we were served up far too many times by this squad at vital times  since the qpr play off loss no matter who we put in the first team and what 4/3/3 formation they played in ,,,, ffs let the man do his job , he's earnt the right to be given a bit of time by his past record at liecester ,,,, too many want him to fail and expect him to carry on with the squad and system that have never quite been enough

But this is my point - what is the job he's been brought in to do? Re-build the team? Get the most out of the current crop? 

3 hours ago, duncanjwitham said:

Agree 100%

I'm guessing he has been brought in to build a team and back room staff capable of getting up and doing well in the prem ,,,, it's a case of do you trust his ability to do just that,,, I do , all this talk of sticking to our 4/3/3 formation , keeping all our perceived best players and tweaking is hocum pokem , he is here to do a job which I would bet his remit is , produce a team and back room capable of getting up and doing well with the aim of playing decent attractive exciting football with an eye on having a good youth set up that has a route to first team if your good enough ,, I believe that given time he will do just that and with an ethos that every first team shirt is earnt ,,,, good enough for me 

Also does anybody believe any manager other than a stop gap manager has been brought in with the remit to just get the best out of the current bunch of players?

16 minutes ago, archied said:

Also does anybody believe any manager other than a stop gap manager has been brought in with the remit to just get the best out of the current bunch of players?

Perhaps my choice of words were poor; not to get the best out of the current group of players, but carry on the work of the previous manager so as to provide continuity and rid ourselves of the need to alter the team to every new manager's image - like Swasea, Southampton and Barcelona do. 

This is why Clement was sacked, because we wanted to have this model but Clement was far too focused on the short team and began destroying what Clough and McClaren before him had built. Wassall was appointed to get us back on track and did a good job of this in the end. 

In light of this 'twould seem rather stupid of us to then appoint somebody at this stage with the remit of 're-build the team'.

Suppose it all comes down to point of view and opinion really ,, don't believe for one minute that Mac was brought in to carry on clough,s vision , do you? Do we believe that clement was brought on to follow macs good work given that it was nt too clever second season ffs we only needed a last day draw for play offs but turned out that turgid performance ,, rose tinted specs on clement as most people have in terms of when it suits he was sacked for football reasons then for non football reasons we are all kept in the dark about ,wassell well that's again opinion but far from the right choice for me (nothing personal), for me I'm willing to bet as I say that Mel and Pearson have sat down and had a chat where they found they had similar views and ambitions regards getting up , playing decent football , bringing on the youth ,, good back room staff , good recruitment and given mels dressing room incident an ethos of players putting it all in or fucXxd off out of it  ,,,, I don't believe for one moment Pearson or Mel agree they want or by nesseity need to have total crap football to go up and have said yep fine lets go for that ,,, Pearson is here to assess the squad properly not five minute half arsed assessment then put together a team that gets us going where we want to be made up of whatever he feels we can keep and whatever he feels we need to bring in ,,,,, it's really that simple

5 hours ago, duncanjwitham said:

My hat is off to you. Absolutely spot on! 

8 hours ago, Leicester Fan said:

No it really didn't take him three years to get a side whose squad was miles better than anyone else up. It took him two and a half years to turn an average mid-table Championship side (again, Beckford, Mills, Danns, Peltier, Konchesky, Bamba, St. Ledger, Wellens, Gallagher, I could go on) into the best side in the Championship. It's just unequivocally wrong to suggest he inherited one of the best squads in the Championship.

The past three years have been the most enjoyable years I've had as a Leicester fan. We've played exciting attacking football, won two leagues and done it with a squad largely assembled by Nigel Pearson and a backroom set-up almost entirely assembled by Nigel Pearson. If he 'rips apart' - and I don't think that'll be the aim - your squad, who's to say that after that you won't be playing a more entertaining brand of football and winning things doing it?

The squad Pearson inherited was a strong squad, there's no two ways about it. The only reason you were mid table for a couple of seasons was due to mismanagement. The 2nd Pearson season you had the best squad in the league, let's not over pamper his achievements in the championship. It may be wrong to say he had the best squad in the championship when he took over, but it's entirely fair to say he had it for a failed promotion push. Pearson did a lot for you guys and got you in the right spot, but Ranieri won you the league, not Pearson.

I've seen what Leicester play and I've seen what we've played, I find what we've played to be a more entertaining brand. You guys have refined your style over the past 5 years and committed to a system which has worked for you, which is why you've been so successful. McClaren started a style for us then snaked off when Newcastle started knocking at the door. If we had continued that style rather than chopping and changing managers who wanted to completely redo a perfectly good state that was in place, I think we'd have been more successful. 

Who's to say we won't play better, but who's to say we will? It's the same with success. Who's to say we'll find a gem like Vardy, Mahrez or Kante? Trying to base what we do on your success is absurd because you're just such an outlier.

28 minutes ago, lrm14 said:

The squad Pearson inherited was a strong squad, there's no two ways about it. The only reason you were mid table for a couple of seasons was due to mismanagement. The 2nd Pearson season you had the best squad in the league, let's not over pamper his achievements in the championship. It may be wrong to say he had the best squad in the championship when he took over, but it's entirely fair to say he had it for a failed promotion push. Pearson did a lot for you guys and got you in the right spot, but Ranieri won you the league, not Pearson.

I've seen what Leicester play and I've seen what we've played, I find what we've played to be a more entertaining brand. You guys have refined your style over the past 5 years and committed to a system which has worked for you, which is why you've been so successful. McClaren started a style for us then snaked off when Newcastle started knocking at the door. If we had continued that style rather than chopping and changing managers who wanted to completely redo a perfectly good state that was in place, I think we'd have been more successful. 

Who's to say we won't play better, but who's to say we will? It's the same with success. Who's to say we'll find a gem like Vardy, Mahrez or Kante? Trying to base what we do on your success is absurd because you're just such an outlier.

Just picking you up on something.

I will always argue the case that it was Clough who implemented the style.

Once he'd finally gotten rid of the dross Jewell left behind he first filled his team full of tidy workhorses.

The year after that he added a sprinkling of out and out footballers in Keogh, Hughes, Coutts and Martin in place of Shacks, Green and Theo. 

He always had an idea of how he wanted us to play, we scored a few nice goals as early as 11/12, a few more in 12/13 and we scored 3 beautiful team goals under him 13/14 before he was sacked.

McClaren fine tuned the whole thing. 

7 hours ago, duncanjwitham said:

All of that hard work by clough and then maclaren has been undone since the end of the 2014-2015 season. There is no single culprit but the combination of many squad additions and shifting styles /tactics has been the biggest waste of their legacy.

It's a crying shame. 

Archived