New Head of Player Identification

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is interesting. Sort of exciting. Maybe as has been suggested our current transfer moves is being conducted after NP's had a chat with this fella? 

Maybe he didn't want to sign anyone coming out of our current recruitment team.

Pure speculation but if that is the case who could really blame him based on the track record. 

Sith Happens
5 minutes ago, BottrillRAM said:

Does anyone know which players he has brought in for Spurs? Was he involved with Dele Alli? 

there was a rumour but turns out they are just good friends.

11 hours ago, rammieib said:

Seriously - WTF is head of player identification? Head of scouting/Recruitment I get - and the Spurs head of Recruiting seems to have just quit, but head of player identification.... Football gets sillier.

At Leicester, Steve Walsh completely changed the way that players were recruited, and "player identification" was one of his big ideas.

As I understand it (City didn't give that much away!) City had/have a wide network of scouts, mostly part-time, all over the world. When they recommend a player, the player identification people will look at him in detail, analysing his game, talking to people who know him, assessing his character etc - all before they even spoke to Steve Walsh about him. And even then, Walsh and his people would watch a player three or four times before making a bid.

That's how City got Mahrez, Kanté, Drinkwater and so on. It's the way of the modern game, and I suspect that if the stories about Mackenzie are correct, it's part of Pearson's plan to create a similar set-up at Derby to what he built at City.

2 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Will this identification run beyond Scotland and Ireland?

You may jest, but we built a team that finished third under that recruitment and all for under £4.5m! We've spent about £30m since and it's made us worse!

Rob Mackenzie, who helped Nigel Pearson guide Leicester City to the Premier League, looks set to be reunited with the Derby County manager.

Mackenzie is understood to have left his position as head of player identification at Tottenham Hotspur after only 18 months and could be on his way to Derby.

He joined Spurs in February 2015 after five and a half years at Leicester City where he held a first-team Performance Analysis role before being appointed Head of Technical Scouting, where he was responsible for providing key information to Head of Recruitment, Steve Walsh.

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/derby-county-linked-with-tottenham-and-ex-leicester-scout/story-29604870-detail/story.html#qYGUWic5pqVfTPv8.99

Some people have already covered it but my understanding of the roles:

Scouts do the physically going to games, collating video of players, writing reports on players, following up on recommendations etc, you know the ground work and initial identification. They are often freelance or part time so they hand in whatever reports to head scout or head of player identification

Head of player identification watches videos, reads the reports that scouts produce, analysing stats (with help), looks through the players social media (sad but true) and generally comes up with a list of players for each position with approximate values the club should be willing to pay and passes onto the head of recruitment/ director of football/ Chief executive (remember last year Rush said they had 3 players in each position identified in case the manager said he wanted that position)

head of recruitment/ director of football/ Chief executive then liaises with manager/ head coach, whatever position they want they can then suggest players who they can afford and do the deals

Source: I worked with a few freelance scouts in my previous job

3 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Slight worry that he won't join us until the end of this window. Thought Hitchen was announced a while back?

I would imagine that would be fairly standard for guys in those positions? If I was a club I'd had automatic 'gardening leave' on anyone who had anything to do with scouting...

11 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I would imagine that would be fairly standard for guys in those positions? If I was a club I'd had automatic 'gardening leave' on anyone who had anything to do with scouting...

If he was moving to another PL club, aye, but I can't see Derby's and Spurs' targets being in the same Venn diagram, let alone overlapping.

Sith Happens
23 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Doesn't mean he has to wear a blindfold and have his hands tied behind his back whilst gagged until he can start looking for players though does it

i thought i had stumbled on the wrong thread then.

They'll have little influence this window. The chap from Spurs doesn't even get started until later this month. More likely to be the case of them setting the structure up and going from there. I'd judge them / the signings from January.

5 minutes ago, Joel said:

They'll have little influence this window. The chap from Spurs doesn't even get started until later this month. More likely to be the case of them setting the structure up and going from there. I'd judge them / the signings from January.

We can still make season long loans after August I believe.

A couple from Spurs maybe or other Premier League clubs !   

Emergency loans are not allowed though. 

Archived