New Head of Player Identification

7 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

Yeah, of course it's all about how well the players suit the system and on the whole our recruitment team seems to have found players who didn't, but you can't guarantee to do better. You said Butterfield would be ideal for us, but presumably judging by your response to SaintRam you believe Butterfield was one of those we wasted money on. Everyone gets things wrong, even yourself .... and while you probably could have done a better job than our recruitment team, as could many of the members on here, it just comes across as a tad arrogant to boast about how you would have done it better.

I said Butterfield was ideal for us because he was in terms of playing style and considering we had to basically buy a Hughes replacement and was forced upon doing so he was a decent option.

Though it has been mentioned we had tracked him for a while. I would have welcomed him anyway I guess.

I think he's underused, but where do you play him in a midfield two now?

If you want to add another to the list. I think Reading have made a real coup in buying Swift. He would have been a nice option to have here in the 433, and arguably a decent Hendrick replacement while not exactly like-for-like.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, sage said:

I think what Bris is trying to say is most Derby fans with a decent knowledge of football of Derby and beyond could have done a better job, not because he or we are great, it is because out recruitment has been THAT BAD.  

I agree and I think I could have done a better job, but I'm not posting on the forum statements like Derby should have hired me because I'd do it better than those clowns. I was just pointing out to him that it's very easy to say that with hindsight and even he can make mistakes. 

Reality is Johnson was the only good signing because he was proven at championship level. The others were all too flash in the pan : Blackman Butterfield Ince weimann...  and the journeymen players too : why bother with bent Pearce Baird warnock when our reserves are up for it. Zanzala Rawson Hanson and lowe are all better in the same positions. Better a few stars backed by youth then a plethora of mediocrity. It's a principle that's all : keep the squad strong and small. Johnson strikes me as a confidence player because he's not skilled he's just a beast. In the right role with the right motivation he'd be a force in this league but we've proven we can't get the best out of him, like so many others. And Pearson rightly pointed out, he needs to find the form of these players. It starts by reducing the size, playing the players you believe in and belieiving in the players you play.

7 hours ago, davenportram said:

I will say again - making a list of names is one thing. Actually getting them to wantbto come AND their clubs want to sell is the hard bit.

Oh should I cross Messi off the list then?

Derrr that's part of what makes them good at their job.

Hope this new guy gets us utilising the loan market again like we did so well a few seasons back. Just because we've got money doesn't mean you need to spend it! With the new loan rules we wouldn't have an Ibe situation again where they get recalled part way through the season. Surely there's some young decent wingers / strikers the big boys want to loan out? Kent looked a decent one for Barnsley yesterday, liking the look of Abraham at Bristol too. 

Archived