Welcome to the Championship Newcastle

hintonsboots

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was literally going to write a post called, 'welcome to the Championship, Rafa'. Then I saw your thread. DErby's best chance this year is that there are so many teams capable of winning games that there may be a lot of draws being played out. One win is equal to three draws. Let's go and win some tight games 1 - 0

I have just put exactly this in the predictions thread. All teams in the premiership have space to play. That doesn't happen in our league. You will get closed down. You will get bullied. You will get forced off the ball. You will get kicked. I have no doubt that Newcastle will be there or there abouts, but they will have to adapt very quickly

MrRam said watch newcastle come and batter us home and away.  I said, we'll give them 3 points. Looks like they'll need them. We'll  return the favour. 

1 hour ago, hintonsboots said:

As we know not an easy league to get out of. Massive wake up call for the FSW and his team tonight. Thought Fulham were outstanding and their right back looks quality.

Should be an exciting season.

COYR.

Right-back looks quality? What game were you watching?

He was awful defensively and caught out of position a number of times. By the old rule, he would have seen red in the first half too after pushing down Gayle while clean through as he was out of positon.

Makes Cyrus Christie look like a world class defender in comparison!

1 hour ago, BathRam72 said:

I have just put exactly this in the predictions thread. All teams in the premiership have space to play. That doesn't happen in our league. You will get closed down. You will get bullied. You will get forced off the ball. You will get kicked. I have no doubt that Newcastle will be there or there abouts, but they will have to adapt very quickly

Exactly why I rated us so much under McClaren and why I believe that (signings aside) Clement was almost too good for us, too advanced for this division. 

4 minutes ago, WystonRam said:

Clement was almost too good for us ?!

Style of play wise - for example to do what he wanted us to do he'd have needed a centre-half with all of Shackell's best qualities combined with all of Bucko's best qualities.

He has a very continental philosophical which would have probably been better suited at somebody like Swansea.

5 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

He was awful defensively and caught out of position a number of times. By the old rule, he would have seen red in the first half too after pushing down Gayle while clean through as he was out of positon.

Agreed. Attacking wise very good but FFS how lost he was positionally. Maybe the reason is that (heard commentator saying) he usually plays LB?

Nice to see that Newcastle brought their Premier League arrogance with them last night - seemed to believe their own hype and got increasingly 'arsey' as the game progressed - Janmaat and Hayden sulking big-style when things went against them and Shelvey could quite easily have picked up a couple of bookings in the 15 minutes he was on the pitch.....

7 hours ago, Woodypecker said:

But he couldn't even be @rsed to go and watch the opposition he had to beat :ermm:

Tactically aware and experienced at all coaching levels, but bereft - by choice - of the necessary direct knowledge of his then-current league :huh:

It happens! Remember Pechisolido at Burton? 

10 hours ago, cannable said:

Style of play wise - for example to do what he wanted us to do he'd have needed a centre-half with all of Shackell's best qualities combined with all of Bucko's best qualities.

He has a very continental philosophical which would have probably been better suited at somebody like Swansea.

If this was simply the case, why did he not buy players to suit his style of play instead of what we he did buy. He was simply to naive and inexperienced, put simply a slightly more upmarket Phil Brown.

18 minutes ago, WystonRam said:

If this was simply the case, why did he not buy players to suit his style of play instead of what we he did buy. He was simply to naive and inexperienced, put simply a slightly more upmarket Phil Brown.

Well that's the golden question isn't it! 

14 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Didn't you watch the second half ?

I must confess this game produced a fair bit of glee on Teesside!

The result wasn't completely surprising, though in truth I thought it more likely to be 0-0 beforehand. The skunks drop down, not completely knowing what to expect as a team, away from home and especially without McCormack and their obvious area of concern last season Fulham stick 11 men behind the ball.

From a Boro perspective (and a Derby one too from last season as both were vitually thought of as big-hitters and the teams to beat from the start) I imagine our beloved barcode neighbours will be thought of the same and a hell of a lot of sides will play against them by parking the bus, which they will be totally unused to in the Prem and need to adapt quickly to.

Archived