We are the only team in the championship not to sign someone

Woodley Ram

who says we need to sign anyone? we signed plenty last season that deserve a chance to prove themselves!

We are idiots if we want a never-ending conveyor belt of signings who don't play, but then get sold and replaced for someone else who doesn't play!

A lot of Derby fans are idiots anyway, they cannot name a player they want to drop, cannot name a player they want to sign (realistically), yet moan that we haven't signed anyone!

Get over yourselves! :lol: 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

I'm surprised we haven't, last season we did buy lots of players, yet still didn't address our inability to change a game by changing the formation that was still limited by the personnel we brought in.  I still don't see us as having a proper winger (Camara may be?), having pace with the ball, and the people to play 2 up top if needed.  Maybe Pearson is the missing piece in the jigsaw, however imo we are still stuck with the core of a side that have failed for the last 3 seasons, and so many midfield options that are good as individuals, yet struggle to play together.

The worry is that we lose points in the first month, as we expect players who weren't able to play a certain way last season, to  suddenly be able to do this, and we are playing catch up.  Still time though, and I'm sure the management team know more than I do having watched them every day :-)

Whaaaaa? Clement regularly altered the system and put Ince in the hole. It earned us at least four points. It completely changed the MK Dons game, for example.

I'm not sure how you can argue we're stuck with the core of the side that has failed for three seasons either. When was the last time that core had a sustained run, playing in a way that suits it? 

6 minutes ago, cannable said:

Whaaaaa? Clement regularly altered the system and put Ince in the hole. It earned us at least four points. It completely changed the MK Dons game, for example.

I'm not sure how you can argue we're stuck with the core of the side that has failed for three seasons either. When was the last time that core had a sustained run, playing in a way that suits it? 

i personally believe Inces best position is playing just behind the striker, the problem is that we haven't got a forward who can play the way needed to make this happen.  Martin won't run the channels, and teams know that we haven't got the pace to get in behind them, so can push right up and Ince has no or little space to work in.  Yes it worked against BC, however that was one game against a poor team, I'm sure they beat themselves as much as the system did.  MK I think completely battered us, we went for broke and got lucky, but I'm not sure how many times Clement altered the system after the first few games other than that?

As for the core players, Russell, Keogh, Bryson, Martin, Hendrick, Hughes - all featured In the last game of the season and most will probably start against Brighton, I'm not saying that they are poor players, far from it, but sometimes a change is what is needed to progress.

It may be a blessing in disguise that we aren't spending as much. Last season teams saw us their cup final as we spent a lot on players whereas this season teams will see the likes of Newcastle,Villa and Norwich as bigger scalps and as a consequence try harder against them. It's well known that we struggle against packed defences, like against Boro and Burnley last season and dare I say it QPR in THAT season. If more teams are spending then that means they will be forced to be more attacking due to pressure from their own fans which will allow us to have more counter attacking opportunities.

1 hour ago, Leeds Ram said:

i personally believe Inces best position is playing just behind the striker, the problem is that we haven't got a forward who can play the way needed to make this happen.  Martin won't run the channels, and teams know that we haven't got the pace to get in behind them, so can push right up and Ince has no or little space to work in.  Yes it worked against BC, however that was one game against a poor team, I'm sure they beat themselves as much as the system did.  MK I think completely battered us, we went for broke and got lucky, but I'm not sure how many times Clement altered the system after the first few games other than that?

As for the core players, Russell, Keogh, Bryson, Martin, Hendrick, Hughes - all featured In the last game of the season and most will probably start against Brighton, I'm not saying that they are poor players, far from it, but sometimes a change is what is needed to progress.

Last season was a season of unnecessary change. We needed tweaking. Clement changed the system and signed too many players that didn't fit and couldn't cover what we already had. We only started looking quality again when we finally managed to get all of the old guard on the pitch again.

Those players have shown that they can get us up and around the the top two and we have only failed once injuries have occurred. 

Get Bryson, Hughes, Thorne, Martin, and Keogh on the pitch as often as possible and use them correctly and we'll be up there.

47 minutes ago, cannable said:

Last season was a season of unnecessary change. We needed tweaking. Clement changed the system and signed too many players that didn't fit and couldn't cover what we already had. We only started looking quality again when we finally managed to get all of the old guard on the pitch again.

Those players have shown that they can get us up and around the the top two and we have only failed once injuries have occurred. 

Get Bryson, Hughes, Thorne, Martin, and Keogh on the pitch as often as possible and use them correctly and we'll be up there.

So you are saying we are OK unless one of them gets injured...let's hope Thorne doesn't get injured and is OK to start against Brighton ?

3 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

So you are saying we are OK unless one of them gets injured...let's hope Thorne doesn't get injured and is OK to start against Brighton ?

Direct cover for Thorne was one of the tweaks we should have made last season. And Martin. 

Last year I said I thought the signings were poor. This summer I think our lack of activity will also be our downfall.

I admire Pearson for wanting to stick with what he has and not make any rash decisions, but we're so short and should we adopt his favoured 4-4-1-1/4-4-2 formation, we're arguably four players short.

I don't like our lack of CB cover, the fact we look like playing Blackman and a CM in wide areas and potentially Darren 'all I can offer is running in behind' Bent as our lone CF.

Can't believe, 26 months on, how much worse our starting XI is now to the one that played in the playoff final.

30 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Last year I said I thought the signings were poor. This summer I think our lack of activity will also be our downfall.

I admire Pearson for wanting to stick with what he has and not make any rash decisions, but we're so short and should we adopt his favoured 4-4-1-1/4-4-2 formation, we're arguably four players short.

I don't like our lack of CB cover, the fact we look like playing Blackman and a CM in wide areas and potentially Darren 'all I can offer is running in behind' Bent as our lone CF.

Can't believe, 26 months on, how much worse our starting XI is now to the one that played in the playoff final.

I don't agree that we're 'so short.' I'd love us to sign a couple of quality players, not because I think we're short in areas but because I think we can be improved, but obviously that would require 1 or 2 to leave. And I personally quite like our CB cover at the minute, Pearce is decent and is proven at this level and Rawson did well for Rotherham and has looked decent during pre season. If we sign another CB it just defeats the purpose of having a top academy if players like Rawson get pushed further down the pecking order because we aren't prepared to take a risk and play him should Keogh/Shackell/Pearce get injured/suspended.

And the final point about our current team being worse than the play off final team. The team has barely changed. A couple may have gotten worse as they've aged such as Bryson, but then some of the younger players have gotten better, Hughes, Hendrick etc.

Grant - Carson - improved

Wisdom - Christie - not sure if it's an improvement, but there's not a ton of difference between them

Keogh - Keogh

Buxton - Shackell - improved

Forsyth - Forsyth/Olsson - might not be the same after his injury but not much of a change

Thorne - Thorne

Hughes - Hughes

Hendrick - Ince - improved

Russell - Russell

Ward - Blackman/Razza - worse

Martin - Martin

Not quite sure how the starting 11 is 'much worse' now than it was for the play off final.

2 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

I don't agree that we're 'so short.' I'd love us to sign a couple of quality players, not because I think we're short in areas but because I think we can be improved, but obviously that would require 1 or 2 to leave. And I personally quite like our CB cover at the minute, Pearce is decent and is proven at this level and Rawson did well for Rotherham and has looked decent during pre season. If we sign another CB it just defeats the purpose of having a top academy if players like Rawson get pushed further down the pecking order because we aren't prepared to take a risk and play him should Keogh/Shackell/Pearce get injured/suspended.

And the final point about our current team being worse than the play off final team. The team has barely changed. A couple may have gotten worse as they've aged such as Bryson, but then some of the younger players have gotten better, Hughes, Hendrick etc.

Grant - Carson - improved

Wisdom - Christie - not sure if it's an improvement, but there's not a ton of difference between them

Keogh - Keogh

Buxton - Shackell - improved

Forsyth - Forsyth/Olsson - might not be the same after his injury but not much of a change

Thorne - Thorne

Hughes - Hughes

Hendrick - Hendrick/Bryson/Johnson/Butterfield - improved

Russell - Russell

Ward - Ince - improved

Martin - Martin

Not quite sure how the starting 11 is 'much worse' now than it was for the play off final.

Do you work for the Derby County blowing their own trumpet team. 

Lets see how we get on shall we this season first off. 

3 minutes ago, curtains said:

Do you work for the Derby County blowing their own trumpet team. 

Blowing Derby's trumpet because I make reasonable replies to people and provide reasons, rather than going for your method of providing a Youtube video of someone scoring or saying "I don't like Martin and Keogh and that's my opinion," without actually saying why.

Just now, Cam the Ram said:

Blowing Derby's trumpet because I make reasonable replies to people and provide reasons, rather than going for your method of providing a Youtube video of someone scoring or saying "I don't like Martin and Keogh and that's my opinion."

You can't ever see anything wrong can you .

4 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

You can't see anything right, can you? All doom and gloom and we must change everything! Play Baird, play Elsnik, sell our POTY and top scorer, play Ince as a lone striker. 

What have you got against Baird last year you slated me for having a less than perfect opinion on him. 

Now the lad is trying hard you don't want to give him a chance. 

Archived