Benfica vs Derby County

Carl Sagan

The fact we completely blew our chance to have a meaningful rebuild last summer after the McClaren capitulation means we can't spend another £25 million this season. Some accept that as fans and I think Mel does too. As a consequence though it seems  some are suffering a collective delusion where you've managed to convince yourselves that we don't need any signings and the squad in their current state are capable of getting promotion. Not going to happen. 

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, ramit said:

Pearson is a clever guy, now he will play his part, shake his head at the guys and say I'm going to put you through hell in the coming weeks and you know you've got it coming, so no complaining, will be watching your every move.  Like him more and more.

Totally agree. When I was a teacher, the pupils used to tell me that the exams were easier than the tests that I gave them. Pearson is about to increase the work rate of our players.

News Flash - ramit  (aka ramit ramitsson) joins Pearson's team in the role of drum beater for the Icelandic clapping thingy as Pearson increases our work ethic and effort..

ramit...what a drummer!

Just now, curtains said:

Nothing really .

Not bothered.

The fans seemed to enjoy it .

i enjoyed it too, is that wrong?  Benfica played a high tempo high class game and showed what we need to work on.  It's a friendly, this game will have served us better than Benfica who had an easy run out.  Next we face lesser oppositions and can build confidence for the coming season.  Perfect in my view.

1 minute ago, ramit said:

i enjoyed it too, is that wrong?  Benfica played a high tempo high class game and showed what we need to work on.  It's a friendly, this game will have served us better than Benfica who had an easy run out.  Next we face lesser oppositions and can build confidence for the coming season.  Perfect in my view.

No it was a good game. 

2 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Totally agree. When I was a teacher, the pupils used to tell me that the exams were easier than the tests that I gave them. Pearson is about to increase the work rate of our players.

News Flash - ramit  (aka ramit ramitsson) joins Pearson's team in the role of drum beater for the Icelandic clapping thingy as Pearson increases our work ethic and effort..

ramit...what a drummer!

i'm coming over to see my first Derby match soon.

As for the drumming bit in a high chair, the things i let myself get talked into, hope it was only a joke when suggested on the podcast :D

25 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

This thread is growing fast with lots of people dissing the players for their first 45 minutes of preseason. Stop it now. It's all and entirely about building fitness at this stage. I don't care about the result. The players needed to get miles under the belt on the pitch and not get any injuries. Have some of you never seen a preseason campaign before?

As for the kit, at least I liked the numbers. Though I've always said they should be red.

Each preseason is slightly different in terms of objectives. 

This year we have a lot on our plate with new coaches, plus reviewing a squad that has been expensively assembled and can potentially play a number of different formations, but it has yet to be established which fit best where and what the best combinations are.

It looked like tonight's game was all about fitness for benfica,  such was their cohesion, identifiable style and experience. 

For us it should be that plus a bit. Will be interesting to hear nigels thoughts if he does an interview. 

4 minutes ago, CastletonRam said:

The fact we completely blew our chance to have a meaningful rebuild last summer after the McClaren capitulation means we can't spend another £25 million this season. Some accept that as fans and I think Mel does too. As a consequence though it seems  some are suffering a collective delusion where you've managed to convince yourselves that we don't need any signings and the squad in their current state are capable of getting promotion. Not going to happen. 

Do we really need to spend another £25m this season. Squad needs a little tinkering with, not an overhaul.

Didn't answer me last time, so what did you expect from this evening's game?

1 minute ago, ramit said:

As for the drumming bit in a high chair, the things i let myself get talked into, hope it was only a joke when suggested on the podcast :D

We need a proper Icelander dude. Sam Rush - make it so.

We never joke about the Icelandic clapping thingy, ramit.

The funny thing about tonight is that there will genuinley be fans out there questioning Pearson already :lol:

some of the comments on here are laughable, some of you are already writing the season off at the fact we lost to Benfica in a pre season friendly!

we laugh at forest sometimes for their sense of entitlement but **** me!  

Just now, Derbados said:

The funny thing about tonight is that there will genuinley be fans out there questioning Pearson already :lol:

some of the comments on here are laughable, some of you are already writing the season off at the fact we lost to Benfica in a pre season friendly!

we laugh at forest sometimes for their sense of entitlement but **** me!  

Do you top 6 is reasonable because I do. 

1 minute ago, rynny said:

Do we really need to spend another £25m this season. Squad needs a little tinkering with, not an overhaul.

Didn't answer me last time, so what did you expect from this evening's game?

No. Just highlighting if we were smarter with our spending last season we'd have less to fix this summer. Expected us to be less lethargic given the clubs overemphasis on how fit the the players are after the break. Clearly not that much. 

8 minutes ago, ramit said:

I'll be happy to buy you a beer* when you're over!

*alternative beverages are available

2 minutes ago, curtains said:

Do you top 6 is reasonable because I do. 

Yeah, I think top 6 is realistic and i'd be dissapointed if we didn't get there. Do i think we are top 2 at the minute? No. There does need to be some work put in on the squad, we are still missing an Andre Gray type striker and a real ruthlessness to our game, if we can add those components then the sky's the limit 

Archived