Thorne out off pre-season?

Carl Sagan

I stress I don't have any insider knowledge on George's fitness, but reading between the lines in today's DET it sounds he won't have recovered from the break for a while yet and will likely miss the pre-season preparations: http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/rams-boss-happy-to-wait-on-george-thorne/story-29478590-detail/story.html

Specific quotes pulled from this:

"George had a bit of an infection in the leg that has been dealt with in the last 10 days," said Pearson.
"If he does get some preparation for the season in terms of game-time then all well and good but if we have to wait a few more weeks for him to be into his prime condition then I am prepared for that to be the case."

Given it was the tibia/fibula it's taking longer than I'd have expected. Every footballer wants a good preseason to build their fitness for the campaign, and last year Thorne was a player who, though epic on his day, sometimes looked to be struggling for fitness. So I'm disappointed to read he's not back in training with the other lads.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Srg said:

Don't think this is news? Think they said at the time the time scale would mean he's likely to miss the beginning of the season.

Yeah, was reported to be out for 3 months when the injury was announced. So as long as he hasn't/doesn't have any setbacks, he should be back in early August.

On 08/05/2016 at 13:01, Cam the Ram said:

The 23-year-old was taken to hospital after sustaining the injury in the second half of the game.

X-rays and further assessment have confirmed a clean double break and Thorne is expected to be out of action for around three months. 

Everyone connected with Derby County wishes George a speedy and successful recovery.

Read more at http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/george-thorne-injury-confirmed-as-double-break-to-right-leg-3102682.aspx#o80fJiDqFbS7D2OS.99

"Back in August" doesn't mean playing in August. That means in effect that he will start his pre-season a month after everyone else at the earliest.

It's not ideal - but he could still be a key player for the vast majority of the season. 

Sorry I must have missed the bad news in among all the other doom and gloom surrounding the injury. Given Joe Ledley is playing in the Euros shortly after breaking his fibula I was hoping George wouldn't have been far behind.

Just now, Carl Sagan said:

Sorry I must have missed the bad news in among all the other doom and gloom surrounding the injury. Given Joe Ledley is playing in the Euros shortly after breaking his fibula I was hoping George wouldn't have been far behind.

Think it was particularly bad because it was a double break. I think you should see him getting going by September, maybe playing off the bench towards the end of August after getting going.

There's different types of break, Joe Ledley had a hairline fracture of the fibula, which doesn't bear as much weight as the tibia. George Thorne broke both bones clean through and requires surgery,similar to Luke Shaw of Man Utd. Luke Shaw took seven months before he was even training properly again, let alone being ready to play. I had a clean break,of both bones (tibia was sticking out the skin in all its glory) and had surgery in January this year. Obviously I haven't got the medical support GT has but six months in and I'm back to normal except I can't run yet. It takes around six months for the bone to fully heal when it's broken clean through and up to 12 months,for it to be totally back to normal. 

I don't think we'll see him much on the pitch before Christmas, especially looking at how swollen it was on his recent holiday photos on the yacht!

5 minutes ago, Allanthediver said:

There's different types of break, Joe Ledley had a hairline fracture of the fibula, which doesn't bear as much weight as the tibia. George Thorne broke both bones clean through and requires surgery,similar to Luke Shaw of Man Utd. Luke Shaw took seven months before he was even training properly again, let alone being ready to play. I had a clean break,of both bones (tibia was sticking out the skin in all its glory) and had surgery in January this year. Obviously I haven't got the medical support GT has but six months in and I'm back to normal except I can't run yet. It takes around six months for the bone to fully heal when it's broken clean through and up to 12 months,for it to be totally back to normal. 

I don't think we'll see him much on the pitch before Christmas, especially looking at how swollen it was on his recent holiday photos on the yacht!

The break wasn't anywhere near that bad so far as I remember. He'll be playing by the end of Sept all being well.

34 minutes ago, DCFCArmy said:

He'll be good by mid to late September, can't rush him back like last time so I'd even push it back to October, Thorne unfortunately has a body like my grandad :(. We can't all be like Roy Keane with these injuries.

To be fair, we haven't particularly eased him back into things. EVERY time he's come back from injury he's started. We haven't once eased him back into it and thus his injuries keep re-occurring.

His pre-season will essentially begin as the rest of the squad end theirs. If you go three months from the day he broke his leg, it'll take us to a few days before we play Brighton. When you consider that our pre-season is 4 or 5 weeks long, George will need the same, and won't be able to join in with as much of the team training as his will be more fitness based. As mentioned already, I expect it'll be October before he's fully fit to start games.

I am hoping he will be able to cope

We have a couple opations cdm role there jeff hendrick will huges jamie handson but i think we need

A player who can handle that role able play quick balls upto a striker or able link rest of midfield togather but also must have a nasty streak able boss oppsition around.

3 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

I am hoping he will be able to cope

We have a couple opations cdm role there jeff hendrick will huges jamie handson but i think we need

A player who can handle that role able play quick balls upto a striker or able link rest of midfield togather but also must have a nasty streak able boss oppsition around.

Chris Baird?

Just now, eustonstation said:

He looked quite limpy as he walked into the first day of training on Monday. And a photo of him on the physio table showed quite a bit of swelling and discoloration*. 

Dr. EustonStation, MD (not completed or, for that matter, begun).

*in his leg

Archived