Jonathan Kodjia - Signed for Villa

DcFc Dyycheee

1 minute ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

I'm sorry but I haven't rated the guy throughout his whole career, just because Derby signed him doesn't mean my opinion of him will change. Fact is we paid £3m for somebody who had nearly doubled his career goal tally in 3 months (not a positive) and had 6 months left on his contract, reading fans said they had our pants down and they really did. Might of only had a handful of games for us but that speaks for itself. Contributed next to nothing in those games and looked like he could trap a bag of cement.

Chris Martin joined us on loan and he came with a poor record. He'd had 1 good season in League 1 in which he'd scored 23 goals but that was 3 or 4 years prior to joining us. He'd scored 18 goals in 90 Championship games throughout his career. Whilst on loan with us he'd scored 2 goals in 13 and didn't really look anything special so when he signed permanently, many fans (myself included) weren't very happy with it. 3 years on and he's become 1 of the best strikers we've had in over a decade.

Blackman may continue to underwhelm, but he may also improve just as Martin did. If fans tried to give him a little bit of support and encouragement rather than slating him at every opportunity, his confidence might improve and we may see a much improved player just like we did Chris Martin. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Cam the Ram said:

Chris Martin joined us on loan and he came with a poor record. He'd had 1 good season in League 1 in which he'd scored 23 goals but that was 3 or 4 years prior to joining us. He'd scored 18 goals in 90 Championship games throughout his career. Whilst on loan with us he'd scored 2 goals in 13 and didn't really look anything special so when he signed permanently, many fans (myself included) weren't very happy with it. 3 years on and he's become 1 of the best strikers we've had in over a decade.

The difference was, we got Chris Martin on a free. Anything more than nothing would have been an overspend.

Really can't work out why we decided that the best use of £3,000,000 was Nick Blackman. It's the biggest head-scratcher of Paul Clement's time here and the one decision that makes me question whether he should ever be allowed to manage again.

The bloke has my support and may come good for us, but it will never explain why at the time we spent so much money on him to play in a position which didn't even exist in the team.

1 hour ago, satty atwal said:

Has he done anything else in his career bar that 3 months? Danny graham had a similar spell i recall once in his career.

So, he was bang in form and showing his potential. It would criminal to not give him so time to prove himself under Pearson. If, after a fair run, Pearson wants to move him on then fine, but making him the fall guy for a bit part role under two poor managers is unduly harsh. 

18 minutes ago, Duracell said:

The difference was, we got Chris Martin on a free. Anything more than nothing would have been an overspend.

Really can't work out why we decided that the best use of £3,000,000 was Nick Blackman. It's the biggest head-scratcher of Paul Clement's time here and the one decision that makes me question whether he should ever be allowed to manage again.

The bloke has my support and may come good for us, but it will never explain why at the time we spent so much money on him to play in a position which didn't even exist in the team.

I'm not sure why we spent that much either, probably because Sheffield Wednesday were also after him and Clement/Rush/Mel just wanted to make sure we got it done before they had chance to speak with him. Either way, just because we spent too much on him shouldn't mean he deserves any less support than the other players, he didn't choose the fee we paid. :lol:

32 minutes ago, Duracell said:

He signed Baird, then made him captain.

37 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

Blackman may continue to underwhelm, but he may also improve just as Martin did. If fans tried to give him a little bit of support and encouragement rather than slating him at every opportunity, his confidence might improve and we may see a much improved player just like we did Chris Martin. 

Martin is like an old fashioned CF, a player that holds the ball up well [ he does remind me of Stu Pearson UTD] but needs link up players around him. Isolated he looks lost, so playing Martin in a roll [4-3-2-1] that suits his playing style works and that's why he's hit 20 goals a season for us.

Now we might need to do the same with Blackmann, I don't know what is playing strengths are, I heard out wide, I heard down the centre, until we get him to play in his best position then give him the support he needs he will struggle.

We do have some different types of strikers here, what with Bent, in the box, in and around the six yard box - a true sniffer, Ince who likes to run at them, that's besides Weimann and Russell.

Who knows you will play up front this season?

Tbf when we bought him the majority thought that he would be a good calming influence and a good replacement for Eustace. I even remember that Baird had some good games in pre season and some Derby fans said that Baird could potentially replace Thorne in the side. Baird's downfall came against MK Dons where he made a mistake and he never seemed to recover from that mentally.

2 hours ago, McLovin said:

Tbf when we bought him the majority thought that he would be a good calming influence and a good replacement for Eustace. I even remember that Baird had some good games in pre season and some Derby fans said that Baird could potentially replace Thorne in the side. Baird's downfall came against MK Dons where he made a mistake and he never seemed to recover from that mentally.

I questioned the signing from day 1 and to make him captain was ludicrous, can't have a captain who is not guaranteed a start...

7 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

He did not help himself when bird flipped the bird at the derby fans

But he really does show does not care about the club. Thats why i want bird gone.

Probley getting pay back when we won wba at wembly.

Could only have been better if you had said Bird flipped the Baird

Just now, B4ev6is said:

He did not help himself when bird flipped the bird at the derby fans

But he really does show does not care about the club. Thats why i want bird gone.

Probley getting pay back when we won wba at wembly.

This has to be, single handedly the best worst post ever on this forum.

Lets take it line by line...

Line 1: What on earth does that mean?!?! If you mean that he got frustrated at a few fans for lack of support, good on him.

Line 2: He's a professional, paid to play and perform at a high level for his employers. Personal opinion aside, he is a role model to children, to 'really does show not care' would be incredibly unprofessional.

Line 3: Derby beating West Brom has no relevance to Baird as he didn't play for them until 2014, he did however play for Southampton in both play off games. But again, he is a professional, so 'probley getting pay back' is a ridiculous statement.

Archived