Poll: Expectations

Mostyn6

Get your expectations in NOW.  

195 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I expect us to win the title, drop a couple of points on the way, with a couple of fans expressing their opinions of this forum on what went wrong, sending certain members into overdrive and how we have the worst fans in the world.  

Whilst in the real world, the majority of fans who go to the games will continue to support, groan at missed shots and generally behave like any other football supporter in the country.

Oh almost forgot, I also expect more polls, i expect it will be if we go more than a two games without winning :-)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I expect a couple of years,before the premiership.He has inherited a good squad of players,and a little time to gel with the players,is expected,playoffs expected,at least,and his second season,should bring the bacon home.

To improve from.12th--10th--playoff final--8th--Playoff semi,is expected,---,

The target is set now to sit back and be patient

• 2 weeks later...

With Newcastle, Villa and Norwich in the division, I find it hard to believe all three won't be in top six come next May although, as silly as it might sound, I'm wondering how Benitez will cope with life in the Championship. 

I hope and expect us to be challenging for a playoff spot although my view of Pearson - at least until hearing his press conference - was such that I wouldn't be surprised if he takes a season to get the squad right.

Taking him at his word, though, he says that he feels that only tweaks are required (I agree BTW in terms of personnel, as long as 'player power' is consigned to the past at Derby forthwith) although I had expected him to cut a little deeper, to mould a more Pearsonesque squad.

Even with the size and wealth of Toon and Villa - and Norwich's status as a yoyo club - I think we're in it up to our ears again in 2016-7. Unlike the season just gone - where we were rightly favoured for auto promotion - I can't see us winning the title and even second will be difficult.

I would be happy with play-offs or just missing out in the first season. Then a full on promotion push in the second season. 

He needs at least a season to get his methods/style across and get in or move players on. 

If we went up first time around, great but I'm not expecting it. 

59 minutes ago, RamDon said:

With Newcastle, Villa and Norwich in the division, I find it hard to believe all three won't be in top six come next May although, as silly as it might sound, I'm wondering how Benitez will cope with life in the Championship. 

I hope and expect us to be challenging for a playoff spot although my view of Pearson - at least until hearing his press conference - was such that I wouldn't be surprised if he takes a season to get the squad right.

Taking him at his word, though, he says that he feels that only tweaks are required (I agree BTW in terms of personnel, as long as 'player power' is consigned to the past at Derby forthwith) although I had expected him to cut a little deeper, to mould a more Pearsonesque squad.

Even with the size and wealth of Toon and Villa - and Norwich's status as a yoyo club - I think we're in it up to our ears again in 2016-7. Unlike the season just gone - where we were rightly favoured for auto promotion - I can't see us winning the title and even second will be difficult.

I don't buy this at all.

Villa are a mess and no-one knows what shape Benitez and Newcastle will be in, they could run away with it, or they could struggle. Norwich I grant you will be a tough prospect, top four I reckon.

People seem to be forgetting that Burnley and Boro have gone up. That's two teams we have consistently lost against over the last few years. Hull were supposed to walk it, but never did and weren't convincing at all. 

I think next season will be no tougher or easier than this season. Last season's good teams may go off the boil and the lesser teams may have runs of form. 

Everything still to play for. 

1 hour ago, RamDon said:

I remember when Bolton first came down a few years back and everyone saying how they'll be powerhouses in the league. Reality is no matter how big the club they only have to have a bad start to the season and suddenly they're stuck in a relegation fight 

A bit of all 3. The championship will be incredibly competitive next season and I'd expect us to be up there with the best, however with the inevitable tweaks we will need to get used to I think we'll be just off their pace and that makes play offs acceptable for me this year. I would definitely expect building to take place, starting to get more resilient, having consistent partnerships in midfield and up front, drawing games we would have lost etc, and in year 2 we should be aiming for automatic. If it takes 3 years, it takes 3 years but then I would expect a 100 points steamroller season.

1 hour ago, RamDon said:

I think out of the 3 teams only Norwich will be challenging in the first half of the season. Villa have a lot of work to do and I wouldn't be surprised to see them in bottom 10, Newcastle have shown that their current players lack fight. It maybe that as the season goes on they come through but it will take some work.

Then again, what do I know? I had Leicester down to be relegated last season!!

Last season showed that despite being mis-managed and given crap tactics to implement, we have a talented bunch of players than can play football when they told to.  Therefore I'd say anywhere between 6th & 1st is more than realistic.

2 hours ago, RamDon said:

Taking all three of those clubs at face value, I can only see Norwich having a consistent season.  Villa are a shambles and Newcastle will loose half their squad, Sissoko & Townsend have already expressed a desire to leave.  

Why can't we compete with these clubs?

Why shouldn't they fear US?

It's a long season and alot different to playing in the Premier league which won't suit some of their foreign players, a couple of additions and we'll be challenging for the top two.

Our record against our rivals will be key, I can see Norwich being the strongest of the relegated teams.

1 hour ago, Ramarena said:

I don't buy this at all.

Villa are a mess and no-one knows what shape Benitez and Newcastle will be in, they could run away with it, or they could struggle. Norwich I grant you will be a tough prospect, top four I reckon.

People seem to be forgetting that Burnley and Boro have gone up. That's two teams we have consistently lost against over the last few years. Hull were supposed to walk it, but never did and weren't convincing at all. 

I think next season will be no tougher or easier than this season. Last season's good teams may go off the boil and the lesser teams may have runs of form. 

Everything still to play for. 

Not entirely certain you read what I wrote particularly well mate.

Indeed, Villa are a mess - and it's a reasonable to question how well a squad which had no stomach for a fight in the Premiership will find the grit necessary to grind out wins in the Championship - but it's still a squad worth considerably more than anyone else's, Newcastle aside.

To be quite honest, most Villa fans I know (and even those I know of) agree with you and disagree with me. That's fine. I wouldn't be surprised if they have a similar struggle to the one we did in 2008 after relegation. But I just can't see a club of their size not challenging for the playoffs.

With regard to Newcastle, I actually made a similar point to that which you made on Benitez. I think personally, as good as is as a manager, I suspect he'll need to adjust himself mentally a fair degree to succeed in the Championship. But, let's face facts, he's smart enough to do it and, if you and I recognise that it will a very different style, I am fairly certain he may have recognised it too. (Just quietly, I have similar doubts (even more so, in fact) about Di Matteo; I think he managed West Brom in the Championship but he still really hasn't impressed me.)

Furthermore, Newcastle have had relatively recent experience in the Championship and went straight back up after "walking the league". (Can't remember by how many points but it was a few; didn't they top 100?)

Not suggesting that it necessarily means they'll do it again but, unlike Villa, they arguably have less reason to completely drop their bundle.

Just so we are entirely clear, NOTHING I said should warrant the riposte "Everything to play for". All I suggested was that, for mine, I expect Newcastle, Villa, Norwich and us to occupy four of the top six places (don't read anything into the order); and that (unlike last season) I don't expect to win the league this season. 

If I was a betting man (which I'm not), I would be backing us for second (with hope more than the outright optimism at the start of this season) or the playoffs (third/fourth).

One thing I have absolutely no doubt on: of the three largest clubs in the Championship (ignoring Leeds for a moment), we have made by far the best decision on the managerial appointment. No doubt in my mind that Pearson is incontrovertibly the best choice to manage in the Championship and, just quietly, I suspect the best choice in the long term too.

1 hour ago, bcnram said:

I think out of the 3 teams only Norwich will be challenging in the first half of the season. Villa have a lot of work to do and I wouldn't be surprised to see them in bottom 10, Newcastle have shown that their current players lack fight. It maybe that as the season goes on they come through but it will take some work.

Then again, what do I know? I had Leicester down to be relegated last season!!

I wouldn't worry about tipping Fester for relegation; I think the only people who didn't were wearing tightly fitted jackets with a zipper down the back.

But, as above, I can't see Newcastle flopping next season myself. Don't forget their squad did, albeit belatedly, show some fight towards the end of the season. It may or may not have coincided with McClaren's departure (hopefully, no-one looks back at my posts defending McClaren...let alone the ones suggesting we should think about bringing him back.

I know we always say that the Championship will be tougher than ever the following year but I truly believe this will be the case next year. Last season was one of the weakest championships ever with the gap between the top and bottom teams increasing but I can't see it being the same next season. Next season at the top you potentially have Newcastle, Villa, Norwich, Us, Brighton, Sheffield Wednesday + a surprise team which will come from the likes of Cardiff/Ipswich/Brentford, QPR or Fulham. 

I don't buy the argument that Villa are going to be weak next year. They have plenty of good young players and two solid managers with Di Matteo and Steve Clark assisting.They may not be in the top two but they will be there or there abouts in the top 6. I don't buy the argument that Newcastle will struggle next year either  just because Benitez has not managed in the championship before either. He is a clever man and has managed in the Spanish 2nd league before so he knows what is potentially takes. The Newcastle players showed fight at the end of the season for Rafa unlike they did for Mac and all of them are willing to show this spirit in order to help Newcastle get promoted. Even if Newcastle lose the likes of Sissoko and Townsend, the spine of their team will still be solid. I think Newcastle will be a higher quality Middlesborough in the league next season, not because they are local rivals but because Karanka and Benitez have similar styles.

Make no mistake, the championship will be very tough next year but it will be also very entertaining to see who comes out on top.

Archived