Manager/head coach

RamLad1884

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

Noticed the appointments today were managers not coaches. Will the way the clubs run change again now? 

People learn from their mistakes.

Try it.

;)

3 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

Noticed the appointments today were managers not coaches. Will the way the clubs run change again now? 

Just noticed this as well. NP as Manager with CP as Assistant.

Thank goodness no DOF, Head Coach, etc

Bank Holiday this weekend, today just keeps getting better :D

Bit surprised by the change of direction, was sold on the head coach idea, made a lot of sense. My only thought is whilst Pearson is manager, someone above will still have to sign the cheques so it's not like he will go nuts. Saying that, Mel also said he will always back his manager 100% whilst they are at the club.

Be interesting to hear why the change, hoping there is reasoning behind it, not knocking the appointment but it kinda feels like giving the online fans what they wanted and scraped their vision.

I don't suppose it really matters what his title is. We've just got the right man for the job.

Roll on next season COYR

46 minutes ago, David said:

Bit surprised by the change of direction, was sold on the head coach idea, made a lot of sense. My only thought is whilst Pearson is manager, someone above will still have to sign the cheques so it's not like he will go nuts. Saying that, Mel also said he will always back his manager 100% whilst they are at the club.

Be interesting to hear why the change, hoping there is reasoning behind it, not knocking the appointment but it kinda feels like giving the online fans what they wanted and scraped their vision.

I'm thinking along the same lines. Although as long as we have a number of coaches able to put on sessions that engage and energise the players, I'm happy. Whereas Mac/Clement were coaches first, therefore HC positions allowed them to fulfil their best roles, Pearson will obvs be around the training ground but without being the point guy who runs it all.

I wait to see how it works and if there is a noticeable change

Very happy with this, the term head coach was a foreign idea, in England we have managers, who are responsible, for picking the team, buying players they want, and have full responsibility of team affairs, with the assistance manager, as his right hand man, then it's down to the owner to back his manager where he can, simple idea, why complicate things, I have a good feeling for next year already.

45 minutes ago, Derby blood said:

Very happy with this, the term head coach was a foreign idea, in England we have managers, who are responsible, for picking the team, buying players they want, and have full responsibility of team affairs, with the assistance manager, as his right hand man, then it's down to the owner to back his manager where he can, simple idea, why complicate things, I have a good feeling for next year already.

Not entirely true, whilst the idea isn't an English one it's becoming more common in England now. A look at last season in the top 2 leagues you had 6 head coaches in the Premier League and 10 in the Championship. Those numbers will increase over the coming seasons, Guardiola for a start will be head coach next season. I prefer the head coach role but it's important the appointments above are right, they should also lose their bullet proof vests when things go tits up.

Leicester - Manager
Arsenal - Manager
Spurs - Head Coach
Man City - Manager 
Man Utd - Manager
Southampton - Manager
West Ham - Manager
Liverpool - Manager
Stoke - Manager
Chelsea - Head Coach
Everton - Manager
Swansea - Head Coach
Watford - Head Coach
West Brom - Head Coach
Crystal Palace - Manager
Bournemouth - Manager
Sunderland - Manager
Newcastle - Head Coach
Norwich - Manager
Villa - Manager

Burnley - Manager
Boro - Head Coach
Brighton - Manager
Hull - Manager
Derby - Head Coach
Shelf Wed - Head Coach
Ipswich - Manager
Cardiff - Manager
Brentford - Head Coach
Birmingham - Manager
Preston - Manager
QPR - Head Coach
Leeds - Head Coach
Wolves - Head Coach
Blackburn - Manager
Forest - Manager
Reading - Manager
Bristol C - Head Coach
Huddersfield - Head Coach
Fulham - Manager 
Rotherham - Manager
Charlton - Head Coach
MK Dons - Manager
Bolton - Manager

I would hope Sam Rush had a word with Mel and asked him what his intentions and hopes were with Derby.

Having heard/read what the fans have been saying for a long time I would then hope Rush suggested the change of direction.

Mel seems to have taken a big step backwards in terms of interviews etc so maybe he has realised the best approach for Derby County is for him to run the football club and let the manager manage!

1 hour ago, David said:

:lol:

If MM listened to 99% on here, the club would be up the shitters by now.

He may read the forums but he's a top businessman.

My feeling is

3 season = head coach = No promotion.

I think he's just changing direction

3 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Having heard/read what the fans have been saying for a long time I would then hope Rush suggested the change of direction.

If true this would worry me. As much as we think we know best, I would hope that they didn't choose the strategy and manager based on fans opinions. Half time entertainment, alcohol in the concourses fine, but not who and what role they should get. 

2 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

:lol:

If MM listened to 99% on here, the club would be up the shitters by now.

He may read the forums but he's a top businessman.

My feeling is

3 season = head coach = No promotion.

I think he's just changing direction

Possible. Just when we've met him, sold us the vision, what the plans are, why we are going down the head coach role it just made sense. We've been down the manager route before with Billy and Jewell, threw money at them and we saw where that got us. Managers can leave huge repair jobs behind. 

Mel has only had one season in control and appointed one head coach permanently, to give up and change the direction is fine, his club go for it, just a bit of a head scratcher really. I really didn't see Pearson has being a Mel kinda appointment as well.

I guess it could be possible he wasn't happy with those that recommended the players, couldn't find the right DOF, clock ticking, £25m spent last season, let's go for this experienced proven manager and get us up there. Limit the money he can spend, we can't spend that much anyway with the FFP restrictions. 

Don't get me wrong tho, I'm not unhappy, just a little confused and going by the shortlist of Wassall, Sherwood, Martinez and Rowett he would have been my second choice. Rowett being first.

32 minutes ago, David said:

Not entirely true, whilst the idea isn't an English one it's becoming more common in England now. A look at last season in the top 2 leagues you had 6 head coaches in the Premier League and 10 in the Championship. Those numbers will increase over the coming seasons, Guardiola for a start will be head coach next season. I prefer the head coach role but it's important the appointments above are right, they should also lose their bullet proof vests when things go tits up.

Leicester - Manager
Arsenal - Manager
Spurs - Head Coach
Man City - Manager 
Man Utd - Manager
Southampton - Manager
West Ham - Manager
Liverpool - Manager
Stoke - Manager
Chelsea - Head Coach
Everton - Manager
Swansea - Head Coach
Watford - Head Coach
West Brom - Head Coach
Crystal Palace - Manager
Bournemouth - Manager
Sunderland - Manager
Newcastle - Head Coach
Norwich - Manager
Villa - Manager

Burnley - Manager
Boro - Head Coach
Brighton - Manager
Hull - Manager
Derby - Head Coach
Shelf Wed - Head Coach
Ipswich - Manager
Cardiff - Manager
Brentford - Head Coach
Birmingham - Manager
Preston - Manager
QPR - Head Coach
Leeds - Head Coach
Wolves - Head Coach
Blackburn - Manager
Forest - Manager
Reading - Manager
Bristol C - Head Coach
Huddersfield - Head Coach
Fulham - Manager 
Rotherham - Manager
Charlton - Head Coach
MK Dons - Manager
Bolton - Manager

Some serious knowledge of other clubs to know which club has what structure in place.

Incidently Newcastle just did a Derby and agreed to change their title in order to keep Benitez. he is now their manager and will have full control of who they sign. In fairness to them their coach/DoF system has worked even less well than ours has.

Just now, jagerbob said:

Some serious knowledge of other clubs to know which club has what structure in place.

One man and his Google, got half way through and started questioning why am I even on earth tho.  

Archived