Warnock and Sammon released / The Retained List

SaintRam

Shocked at a few of the u21s released, Thomas Calero and McDonald have all looked impressive on the few occasions I've seen them. Suppose they are after first team football now though that we can't guarantee them. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Saturn5 said:

Scott Carson - Lee Grant - Jonathan Mitchell - Kelle Roos

Cyrus Christie - Chris Baird ??

Marcus Olsson - Craig Forsyth - Max Lowe

Richard Keogh - Jake Buxton -

Jason Shackell - Alex Pearce - Raul Albentosa - Ryan Shotton ??

George Thorne - Jamie Hanson

Craig Bryson - Jeff Hendrick - Bradley Johnson ??

Will Hughes - Jacob Butterfield

Andreas Weimann - Tom Ince

Johnny Russell - Abdoul Camara,

Chris Martin - Darren Bent - Nick Blackman

So putting them into positions i think it highlights where the inbalances of the squad are

Wow, 29 players is a bloated squad.

Baird, Pearce, Albentosa and Shotton should all go.

Then in centre mid we should probably offload one ( in the perfect world we would have a receipt for Bradley Johnson) probably Hendrick though

And the 7 attackers isnt too bad, I'd say we would want 6. 2 per position. So one should go from there

That would leave us with a 23 man squad, which is a bit nicer and probably leaves us with room to make some additions, one or two of the goalkeepers must be going as well

3 minutes ago, Jon_Grooves said:

Didnt Calero start most of the U21 games? Im surprised by his release but who knows the reason behind it.

He's the oldest U21 though, he's not going to break past our wingers any time soon. Got to let him go while he can still fit into an U21 set-up in order to break into the first team, rather than letting him out when he's 22 and has to go straight into a first team. Waiting until he's 22 greatly reduces the quality of sides that will take him.

In complete shock to see we've released Calero.

I can't get my head around the decision.

I doubt he's on more than 5/6k a week. Teams have looked at him. Arsenal did a complete run down of him on their website after a reserve fixture where he scored.

Mind boggling. 

Just now, Walsall_Ram said:

In complete shock to see we've released Calero.

I can't get my head around the decision.

I doubt he's on more than 5/6k a week. Teams have looked at him. Arsenal did a complete run down of him on their website after a reserve fixture where he scored.

Mind boggling. 

He hasn't improved though. There are U21s walking past him. 

I was a little surprised but it isn't that unusual a decision. Give him a chance to find a place elsewhere. He's never going to get into our side. 

The list of who is retained and who is not has been released by the club, couple of surprises from the Under 21s

Conor Sammon and Stephen Warnock are leaving Derby County this summer, the club has confirmed.

The duo are out-of-contract at the end of June and will not be offered new deals.

The Rams are also releasing five players from the under-21 squad - Ivan Calero, Tom Koblenz, Mats Morch, Kwame Thomas and Shaquille McDonald.

Meanwhile, Alefe Santos has been offered new terms at the end of his contract.

"Derby County would like to take this opportunity to thank all departing players for their contribution throughout their time at the club," said a Rams statement.

DERBY COUNTY RETAINED LIST

First-team squad players under contract beyond the summer of 2016: Lee Grant, Cyrus Christie, Craig Forsyth, Craig Bryson, Jake Buxton, Richard Keogh, Jeff Hendrick, Chris Martin, Darren Bent, Johnny Russell, Chris Baird, Jason Shackell, Bradley Johnson, Alex Pearce, Scott Carson, Jacob Butterfield, Will Hughes, Abdoul Camara, Kelle Roos, Nick Blackman, Tom Ince, Andreas Weimann, Jamie Hanson, Marcus Olsson, Max Lowe, George Thorne, Jonathan Mitchell, Raul Albentosa, Ryan Shotton.

Out of contract first-team players not offered new terms: Stephen Warnock, Conor Sammon.

Under-21 squad players under contract beyond the summer of 2016: Alex Babos, Mason Bennett, Josh Barnes, Alex Cover, Timi-Max Elsnik, Kellan Gordon, Callum Guy, Emil Riis Jakobsen, Calum Macdonald, Tom Mellors, Henrich Ravas, Farrend Rawson, Kyron Stabana, Lewis Walker, Charles Vernam, Ethan Wassall, Offrande Zanzala, Luke Thomas.

Out of contract Under-21 squad players offered new terms: Alefe Santos.

Out of contract Under-21 squad players not offered new terms: Ivan Calero, Tom Koblenz, Mats Morch, Kwame Thomas, Shaquille McDonald.

Under-18s players retained for second year of scholarship: Joseph Bateman, Jahvan Davdison-Miller, Micah Edwards, Harry Goode, Giann Magno, Matt Yates.

Under-18s players released at end of scholarship: Jared Bird, James Carvell.

Details on Derby County's new intake of scholars for the under-18 squad will be confirmed in due course.

Read more: http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Derby-County-Conor-Sammon-Stephen-Warnock-leave/story-29297589-detail/story.html#ixzz49CM7Y4HY

Just now, mike93rh said:

Surprised by Calero, thought he was always on the fringes of the first team squad. 

He is someone who impresses more the less you see him play. I've been saying for a while he isn't good enough. Vernam, Lowe, Stabana, Zanzala, Elsnik all better.

PistoldPete2

No real surprises some of the youngsters have been promising for too log without delivering, and Warnock has already tweeted hes a free agent. As for Connor Sammon well good luck to him, he tried hard. 

Maybe we need to offer extended contracts to some like keogh.

28 minutes ago, sage said:

He is someone who impresses more the less you see him play. I've been saying for a while he isn't good enough. Vernam, Lowe, Stabana, Zanzala, Elsnik all better.

Agree with that, although I'd add Callum Guy and Calum Macdonald to the list

Archived