Fan Loyalty

NorfolkRam

Right, I've been arguing on Facebook with Rams fans that are selling tickets all night and wondered what the general feel was and am I being out of order?

Fans are selling tickets after the defeat today because they don't want to go anymore, could afford to before today but don't see it as worth it now so are selling.

To me this is wrong, if you follow the club it's through thick and thin, you may as well only go to games if we are in the prem.

Do rams fans seriously think it is ok, because we lost, to not go to the game? Or do you agree with me that this is madness and the true definition of a plastic/part time fan?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@NorfolkRam each to their own I guess. If I was going I would still be going. As the final whistle went I thought I wasn't going to even bother watching the match on Tuesday but that feeling only lasted a few minutes. Quite possibly be a few that will change their minds if they haven't sold it by morning.

Just now, NorfolkRam said:

Right, I've been arguing on Facebook with Rams fans that are selling tickets all night and wondered what the general feel was and am I being out of order?

Fans are selling tickets after the defeat today because they don't want to go anymore, could afford to before today but don't see it as worth it now so are selling.

To me this is wrong, if you follow the club it's through thick and thin, you may as well only go to games if we are in the prem.

Do rams fans seriously think it is ok, because we lost, to not go to the game? Or do you agree with me that this is madness and the true definition of a plastic/part time fan?

Well it sums up the away membership crap system we have. I hope the plastics sell them to people who want to support the team and not just go for the glory. People like that should piss off to Manchester.

I just don't get the arguemeny that you can be a loyal fan yet sell a ticket after a defeat.

I'd never question people that can't afford to go for any reason, but if you could afford to got at 12:30 then you can afford to go at 3:00. If not then don't play yourself as a loyal fan cause you have a ST cause that's not loyalty to me

I can see why people wouldn't want to go. Don't think it's being a plastic fan, it's not wanting to travel two hours to watch the team not turn up and listen to Hull fans rub it in for 90 minutes. If we lost today with some fight you can take it on the chin, not one player came away with any credit today, spineless performance! 

I will still go because I'm a sucker for punishment. 

I'd probably go if I'd bought a ticket for the away leg, but I don't blame anyone who doesn't want to. There's a 99.99% chance that it's going to be a thoroughly depressing experience. Who the hell would buy one at this point anyway?

1 minute ago, YouRams said:

I can see why people wouldn't want to go. Don't think it's being a plastic fan, it's not wanting to travel two hours to watch the team not turn up and listen to Hull fans rub it in for 90 minutes. If we lost today with some fight you can take it on the chin, not one player came away with any credit today, spineless performance! 

I will still go because I'm a sucker for punishment. 

See to me that is the definition of 'plastic' not that I'm overly fond of the phrase but can't argue with it, thick or thin for me. If I can go I go regardless, not as often as I'd like but wouldn't care what we were up against.

If i bought a ticket id still go... To be honest if i got offered a ticket now id be tempted to go. We all like a moan and a whinge when we lose, its normal and after today they deserve all the stick they get. But we all support Derby and i imagine would all be stupid enough to go and still on the night believe we could turn it around. 

If we let three goals in during five mins against Rotherham then surely we can score three over 90 mins then do them in extra time or on pens

47 minutes ago, NorfolkRam said:

Half fans.

When the good times return, they will come crawling back, but for now, give them stink. And when they whine, give them more stink. Like the Memsahib said to me straight after the game - she enjoys the Championship, and loves some of the away trips, and only wants us to go up when the time is right. In an ideal world, that would include having a loyal fan base, but we both know that there are 2 or 3 thousand whose loyalty to the club is questionable at best, and I suspect that they would be much, much happier supporting Man Utd.

18 minutes ago, NorfolkRam said:

My arguement is that the result shouldn't matter, you go regardless, you support the club regardless, I get frustration but to sell a ticket cause we lost, it's just madness to me!

Probably the best away trip in the last 10 years or so was the final away game of THAT season, when thousands of us had a beach party at Blackburn. Spirit in adversity, and all that. Big deal, we lost today. THAT season, we lost nearly every day and for the most part, we showed good humour. Now, there are too many with a false sense of bloated entitlement. Let them stay at home, wringing their hands. Win or lose, I'm going to Hull, and win or lose, I'm going to enjoy it.

Fans are entitled to do what they like with their tickets. No club has a fan base in which all fans are equally committed or well off. There will be a range of responses. that is perfectly normal. We did not see the manner of the defeat coming. A good number of us knew that defeat over two legs was probably more likely than not. We made the Play Offs and that was a reasonable return in my opinion. Hull are stronger than us. We must get stronger over the next couple of seasons now. Promotion next season is not a likely outcome, but we can reasonably hope to have a stronger side that should make the Play Offs.There is a lot of work to do now. COYR

Half fans / plastics / disloyal.

All pejoratives used by those who want to prove their support is more pure and better than that of other people, as if it's important in the scheme of things. I think some people need to get over themselves, to be honest. Just because football is one of the main focuses of your life doesn't mean it has to be the same for everyone else's too.

In my late teens/early 20s I adored football but my passion waned and it's not nearly as central to me as it once was, something not helped by me emigrating a few years back. If I had a ticket to the Hull match I'd still go despite yesterday's result, but I can't blame people who would want to skip the match and won't judge them, just as I don't judge those want to keep going when football apparently makes them so miserable.

Had a chat with my youngest last night , we decided we are still going, After all, we only need three goals to get to extra time , we might even get four in normal time and we will be through- too close a game to not go :D

SillyBilly
3 hours ago, Yojimbo said:

All pejoratives used by those who want to prove their support is more pure and better than that of other people, as if it's important in the scheme of things. I think some people need to get over themselves, to be honest. Just because football is one of the main focuses of your life doesn't mean it has to be the same for everyone else's too.

In my late teens/early 20s I adored football but my passion waned and it's not nearly as central to me as it once was, something not helped by me emigrating a few years back. If I had a ticket to the Hull match I'd still go despite yesterday's result, but I can't blame people who would want to skip the match and won't judge them, just as I don't judge those want to keep going when football apparently makes them so miserable.

Embrace it! After reading this board I have demoted myself to "follower", which is what I effectively do. "Supporter", I have learned, is a term reserved for the most puritanical of persons. Equivalent to North Korean party officials. No non-complicit word or action against the regime/club, no matter what, undying loyalty. The followers are a necessary evil to sustain the club, nothing more. All in good humour :).

5 hours ago, Yojimbo said:

I came up with the term 'half fan' as a piss-take. That's all it ever was, and that's all it ever will be. It's a snook to cock at those who just equate losing with personal disaster, and winning with personal triumph - those who live their lives vicariously through the success or otherwise of a football team. The bipolar fans.

Nobody died yesterday.

Archived