Lower League Football Journalism and Derby County

PodgeyRam

I read an article in the Guardian yesterday that got me thinking about the way football is reported in the lower leagues.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/may/07/lesson-of-the-championship-sacking-managers-makes-no-sense-daniel-taylor

The key part of the article is where the author tries to link Clement's sacking to a wider trend of results driven sacking's when it clearly wasn't the case.

Derby County were fifth when their owner, Mel Morris, sacked Paul Clement, complaining that a club with no silverware since 1975, only 11 top-flight seasons in the last 30 years and the lowest points total of the Premier League era, needed to play “the Derby way”. Three months on, they are still fifth, 11 points off the automatic promotion places, rather than the five-point gap when Clement was fired.

It's a bear bug of mine that in the national media lower league football isn't reported more. Instead we get five articles in the same newspaper about the same thing everyday. Surely there's more of an appetite fr lower league football in the national press than what is already given?

Anyhow, decided to do a blog on it. Have a look if you want. If you don't facy it, no worries.

http://viewfromtheweststand.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/journalism-in-lower-league-football.html

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So Daniel Taylor acknowledges that Clement was sacked because he didn't try to play a certain way and then goes on about how we are still 5th. 

Daniel, I know someone else that doesn't make sense, me duck. 

You've basically said...

Clement was sacked for not playing a certain way rather than sacked for poor results. Now look! The results aren't better. 

As for a lesson on sacking managers. Where are Watford? Why aren't Rotherham getting relegated? 

There's no pattern to it. Some clubs give time and slowly the manager gets results. Some clubs sack long term managers and get an instant impact from a new manager rapidly improving the team. 

All pundits seem to talk like there's a magic way to win football. 

You need a manager tied into a 25 year contract, pace up front, close down passing teams and a goalscorer. 

That's it. Football won

As far as the pundit is concerned, there is a magic way - the only trouble is, the magic way is locked inside the pundit's head. If, however, said way escapes from said pundit's head and makes a bid for freedom, it somehow becomes corrupted or polluted with other people's ideas - it loses the magic.

Something about purity of essence. I need to watch Dr Strangelove again.

PistoldPete2
19 minutes ago, rynny said:

Daniel Taylor is a Forest fan. Think that is everything we need to know.

(His prem stuff isn't actually that bad!)

Well if he's a forest fan he probably has an issue with managerial merry go rounds. How many have they had in the last 10 years? It's not the sackings in their case it's the choices they make in the first place... Trying for iconic appointments and failing miserably. 

I liked the blogpost, but I think you missed one of the major reasons why the national media have this attitude towards Clement. They all harbour a raging stiffy for the bloke because they see coaching at Real and PSG as being oh so cosmopolitan. If we'd sacked a salt of the earth type manager with a strong regional accent who'd never been outside the country and gave exactly the same reasons for the sacking the media would've eaten it up.

PistoldPete2

I think most Rams fans are happy to settle for 5th, most of them were thinking we would slide down the table like we did last season. In a strange way, it may actually have helped that our slump came earlier this season as it gave us chance to recover.     When clem was sacked, with no permanent replacement, most of us recognised that the autos was only an outside chance at best. 

Reading the piece about Derby, it definitely makes sense that this was written by a Forest fan... What has the 11 point season got to do with clement? 

Who cares most journalists cant see past the top 4-5 premiership clubs and are clueless & most pundits on TV talk the talk but cant walk the walk and weren't so quick to sort out these obvious flaws when they had a stab at management 

I think he mentions somewhere that sacking managers is a symptom of chairmen not having a long term plan, so it's unbelievably hypocritical to then criticise Morris for sacking a manager for not fitting in to a long term plan.

Shame, because Daniel Taylor is usually very good but this article is pure nonsense

29 minutes ago, G-Ram said:

Who cares most journalists cant see past the top 4-5 premiership clubs and are clueless & most pundits on TV talk the talk but cant walk the walk and weren't so quick to sort out these obvious flaws when they had a stab at management 

Agree with this and might add most national journalists are generally lazy and feed off sound bites collected. They make sweeping generalisations and I sometimes wonder if it's based on watching a few video clips or the odd game here and there.

Local journalists are likely to be far more objective, if a little bias as they see the same teams week in, week out.

As for pundits on t.v there are some right know it all's like you describe. Danny Murphy impresses me most of the time, he seems thoughtful and less hysterical or smarmy than most.

20 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Agree with this and might add most national journalists are generally lazy and feed off sound bites collected. They make sweeping generalisations and I sometimes wonder if it's based on watching a few video clips or the odd game here and there.

Local journalists are likely to be far more objective, if a little bias as they see the same teams week in, week out.

As for pundits on t.v there are some right know it all's like you describe. Danny Murphy impresses me most of the time, he seems thoughtful and less hysterical or smarmy than most.

Except when he commentated on our game with Man Utd. Basically said that it didn't matter that Rooney was offside because it was a world class goal and deserved to stand because of the finish.

The whole reaction to Clement's sacking is a joke when taking into account how badly the media have it in for LVG.

Think about it.

Both spent an eye-watering amount of money and made their respective teams boring to watch, with an over-emphasis on possession. 

Pundits and journalists hounding LVG out for not having a philosophy that matches how Manchester United have played in the past. We sack Clement for similar reasons and every rag in the country's criticising us! 

The thing is as well, Clement came into an already good attacking side, that just needed a two or three signings to cover for injuries! 

And at least LVG's blooding youngsters through, as a result of an injury crisis he's had to cope with. 

1 hour ago, rynny said:

Except when he commentated on our game with Man Utd. Basically said that it didn't matter that Rooney was offside because it was a world class goal and deserved to stand because of the finish.

Did say most of the time because I just knew someone would find an obvious example when he wasn't :)

1 hour ago, cannable said:

The whole reaction to Clement's sacking is a joke when taking into account how badly the media have it in for LVG.

Think about it.

Both spent an eye-watering amount of money and made their respective teams boring to watch, with an over-emphasis on possession. 

Pundits and journalists hounding LVG out for not having a philosophy that matches how Manchester United have played in the past. We sack Clement for similar reasons and every rag in the country's criticising us! 

The thing is as well, Clement came into an already good attacking side, that just needed a two or three signings to cover for injuries! 

And at least LVG's blooding youngsters through, as a result of an injury crisis he's had to cope with. 

Spot on. No wonder the fans in England are what they are...

8 hours ago, Alpha said:

So Daniel Taylor acknowledges that Clement was sacked because he didn't try to play a certain way and then goes on about how we are still 5th. 

Daniel, I know someone else that doesn't make sense, me duck. 

You've basically said...

Clement was sacked for not playing a certain way rather than sacked for poor results. Now look! The results aren't better. 

As for a lesson on sacking managers. Where are Watford? Why aren't Rotherham getting relegated? 

There's no pattern to it. Some clubs give time and slowly the manager gets results. Some clubs sack long term managers and get an instant impact from a new manager rapidly improving the team. 

All pundits seem to talk like there's a magic way to win football. 

You need a manager tied into a 25 year contract, pace up front, close down passing teams and a goalscorer. 

That's it. Football won

Don't forget other recieved wisdoms like "men on the posts defending corners" and "tall goalkeepers".

6 hours ago, Anon said:

I liked the blogpost, but I think you missed one of the major reasons why the national media have this attitude towards Clement. They all harbour a raging stiffy for the bloke because they see coaching at Real and PSG as being oh so cosmopolitan. If we'd sacked a salt of the earth type manager with a strong regional accent who'd never been outside the country and gave exactly the same reasons for the sacking the media would've eaten it up.

I have to admit that I hadn't considered that. You may be right, but I also remember similar national outrage when Clough was sacked and he's far from cosmopolitan. I suspect that it's more a case of the national media simply not researching the topic properly and Clement's status as one of the up and comers of English coaching simply adding to that base.

PistoldPete2
2 hours ago, PodgeyRam said:

I have to admit that I hadn't considered that. You may be right, but I also remember similar national outrage when Clough was sacked and he's far from cosmopolitan. I suspect that it's more a case of the national media simply not researching the topic properly and Clement's status as one of the up and comers of English coaching simply adding to that base.

Seems an odd time to be having a dig at Derby when weve just qualified for the playoffs but as I say it turns out hes a Forest fan.

Archived