OUR NEXT MANAGER

plymouthram

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Kernow said:

Am I on dcfcfans or am I in a classroom of 7 year olds?

There's a difference? 

The guy on the other forum was making it up regarding Sherwood.

Total guess work but I would say out of all candidates the most likely for us would be Roberto Martinez.

I remember him being a cracking manager who most Derby fans would have jumped at the chance of having, but seemingly his time at Everton has seen his reputation drop rapidly.

If we had got Claudio Ranieiri in the summer I would have been gutted, I thought the man was a babbling clown, 9 months later I think he is a babbling genius, the difference a new club can make.

1 hour ago, sage said:

I'm amused that those who criticise are now disloyal.

I seem to remember some currently 'loyal' fans pouring scorn on a former manager.

I assume this is aimed at me, and my stance that Clough was underperforming as manager and we would do better with a proper coach, well, I was proven right, we did better with a somewhat average coach and largely the same players. I don't call it disloyal to be correctly judging someone after a few years. If you are reacting to my comment, then you should know, I was referring to those of the fans that boo players, threaten them in town, demand local ownership and when they have it do nothing but slate it, and generally behave like Newcastle fans. Believe it or not, I would've said the same about anyone slagging off Clough after 3 months in the job, and I never booed Clough once. EVER.

1 hour ago, McLovin said:

Mostyn lighten up a little buddy, unless you're Wassall himself or his mum I don't know why you're getting so defensive. Lighten up a little, you're beginning to sound like girls on social media defending their friend after their boyfriend dumped em. :lol::lol:

McLovin, Believe it or not, I don't think I've ever been wrong on the message boards. I was right about Jewell and everyone argued, I was right about Albrechtsen and everyone argued, I was right about Clough, Martin, Keogh, Shackell, Ince (although some would still argue). I suspect that we could be making a big mistake by mistreating Wassall. I think he could go on to be exactly what we want and need, so for people to falsely represent him and his 'performance' feels somewhat unfair. There is enough to constructively criticise him for without making shizzle up.

47 minutes ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

Finally back on topic ;)  Personally I'd like Pearson , he worked wonders with Leicster in the championship , I would like to see Walsall go back down to the u21's , not because I don't rate how he's done in the 1st team but so he can continue helping us to produce the next will Hughes!

If we employ Pearson, we get the Hull Pearson, not the Leicester of the last couple of years Pearson. It's widely accepted that a massive contribution to Leicester success is Walsh and Shakespeare.

4 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

If we employ Pearson, we get the Hull Pearson, not the Leicester of the last couple of years Pearson. It's widely accepted that a massive contribution to Leicester success is Walsh and Shakespeare.

Agree 100% 

31 minutes ago, cannable said:

He took over a side that, but for an injury crisis, would have finished in the top two the year before. He spent £25,000,000 on that side and made it worse! 

Never would've finished top two as SMc had lost focus; so forget that one as being realistic. Also remember this team bottled it the year before (although not so badly as they could've done) and proved that once more at home to Hull a couple of weeks ago.

You were told that these were PC's choices but the club management are part of this process, so let's not totally blame PC when he was in this (or perhaps not) with the board together. We do not know whether these choices were foisted upon him and it was part of the issue.

The simple fact is we do not know absolutely how much influence MM had on PC and on team selection - remember the poor draw with Reading and the outcome; here's a reminder: http://www.90min.com/posts/2872008-derby-county-chairman-goes-ballistic-at-team-after-draw-with-reading . The outcome of this was the mauling the following week (Brum), so just what was at bay then, lest we forget.

Finally, at times in this league you have to grind out wins and the football is not particularly appealing and the two great examples of this are the teams automatically promoted this year. If you get promotion then you can play differently; just look at Leicester. (Both last season and the previous). If we play always the same constantly, we will never get promoted as too many teams sit back, (in two banks of four) put a man Thorney  and CM and then squash midfield.

5 minutes ago, Lokidoki said:

Never would've finished top two as SMc had lost focus; so forget that one as being realistic. Also remember this team bottled it the year before (although not so badly as they could've done) and proved that once more at home to Hull a couple of weeks ago.

You were told that these were PC's choices but the club management are part of this process, so let's not totally blame PC when he was in this (or perhaps not) with the board together. We do not know whether these choices were foisted upon him and it was part of the issue.

The simple fact is we do not know absolutely how much influence MM had on PC and on team selection - remember the poor draw with Reading and the outcome; here's a reminder: http://www.90min.com/posts/2872008-derby-county-chairman-goes-ballistic-at-team-after-draw-with-reading . The outcome of this was the mauling the following week (Brum), so just what was at bay then, lest we forget.

Finally, at times in this league you have to grind out wins and the football is not particularly appealing and the two great examples of this are the teams automatically promoted this year. If you get promotion then you can play differently; just look at Leicester. (Both last season and the previous). If we play always the same constantly, we will never get promoted as too many teams sit back, (in two banks of four) put a man Thorney  and CM and then squash midfield.

How did we bottle it at Wembley? We lost a one off match that we just couldn't score in. How is that bottling it? 

2 minutes ago, rynny said:

How did we bottle it at Wembley? We lost a one off match that we just couldn't score in. How is that bottling it? 

People will say it because we lost big game. Agreed we just couldn't score that's all. 

28 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

The guy on the other forum was making it up regarding Sherwood.

Total guess work but I would say out of all candidates the most likely for us would be Roberto Martinez.

I remember him being a cracking manager who most Derby fans would have jumped at the chance of having, but seemingly his time at Everton has seen his reputation drop rapidly.

If we had got Claudio Ranieiri in the summer I would have been gutted, I thought the man was a babbling clown, 9 months later I think he is a babbling genius, the difference a new club can make.

This is a really good point. Less than a year ago, Martinez was being touted as the next Barcelona manager. Everton, before their defensive collapse, were also being considered (along with Tottenham) as one of the most exciting sides in the league. Seemingly, it all went wrong defensively and now Martinez' stock has dropped. However, some of the criticsm towards him is unfair.

Everton had some key defensive injuries. Baines and Coleman had lengthy injuries. I'm pretty sure their entire first team back four has been injured at some stage or another. If Derby had lost their main back 4 for as long as Everton did, I'm sure we'd have slipped in a similar fashion.

People also forget (especially Everton fans) that they lost James McCarthy to a lengthy injury. Before this, McCarthy was absolutely key to holding together that midfield. Barkley suffered because of this, because he had to track back more. Add into this the awful season as that Gareth Barry has had, a long with the incredible dip in form shown by Tim Howard, I think it's unfair to lay all the blame of Everton's defensive woes at Martinez' door. Yes, he deserves some of it, of course, but not to the extent that much of the media suggest.

Though some protest it, we have one of the strongest back fours in the division, as well as the strongest back four that our club has had in a long time. I'm sure Martinez could do a good job for us.

Finally, just FYI, I only know this because sister's long-time boyfriend is a devout toffee and a season ticket holder at Goodison Park. We don't have too much in common, but we can chat about football for hours. On Martinez to Derby, he said he reckons he'd do a great job.

6 minutes ago, rynny said:

How did we bottle it at Wembley?

We hit the self destruct button mate just as we had done with lots of other matches that season. Constantly gave the ball away in vulnerable positions, especially in the high pressure games (excepting Brighton).  Sometimes I think there's a number of folks on here that suffer memory, loss or selective memory failure lol.

Archived