OUR NEXT MANAGER

plymouthram

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Saul Pimpson said:

Martinez did a fantastic job at Swansea, achieved all Wigan could realistically hope for and, I'll grant you, under-achieved at Everton. He's not the deadbeat some people are trying to make out he is. Fits us like a glove.

I had a glove like that once. I now only have 3 fingers on my left hand due to frostbite

What even is an 'experienced manager'?

McClaren's an experienced manager and yet he was too nicey… which I believe is what people have the problem with, isn't it?

And I always got the impression that Clement was uber professional and took no *****. But people pick on his inexperience? 

David Wagner from Huddersfield's a shout I've seen that I wouldn't be against. Possession football, from the back, high intensity trying to press as high up the pitch as possible, wants his players uber fit. Bryson would be a wet dream for him. 

1 hour ago, Derbados7 said:

Margaret on Radio Derby reckoned Klopp so looks like you're all wrong.

She was the start of the deluded callers, who think that Derby are in the same bracket of Europes top clubs.

Reality check woman!

She also talked more about his enthiasm and charisma than the fact his teams actually set up like Derby have done at present with the defending from the front pressing style - but hey - ho.

5 hours ago, Highgate said:

I think it is fair to categorize O'Neill's football as direct, maybe not quite as direct a previous ROI manager, but 'low risk' orientated nonetheless.  And that's fine, he is working with limited players by international standards, and it may well work in the championship too.  But my point is that in my opinion that's not what Mel is looking for.  There is a huge difference between O'Neill's teams and Barcelona b, and somewhere between the two would suit just nicely.  Like Swansea, or Bournemouth.  You don't have to hoof and kick your way out of the championship either. 

I don't think there's a huge difference between your view and mine to be fair, but I think you're underestimating the type of football O'Neill produces. He didn't get Celtic to a  UEFA cup final where they were very unlucky to lose to Mourinho's Porto (who won the champions league the following year) by hoofing and kicking. I hope this doesn't sound patronising but I actually think he plays the type of football you want, you've just got him in the wrong category. 

9 hours ago, Charlie George said:

A poster on that other forum who is seemingly ITK said not so long back that the new man has been identified and he's not one that's been mentioned or in the the bookies lists.

Pure guess work but it wouldn't be a surprise if we were in for Di Matteo.

Now there's a coach that makes even Clement look like he played all out attacking football. .....

Di Matteo please no.

12 minutes ago, toddy said:

Now there's a coach that makes even Clement look like he played all out attacking football. .....

Di Matteo please no.

Sorry to pick up on one of your posts again but you seem to be moving the goalposts with every post.

You said Wassall needed to be replaced with an experienced manager, and I believe you said experienced at this level.

Di Matteo took West Brom up from this division.

You are now stating you wouldn't want him because of his brand of football.

So what is it we want, someone experienced or someone who plays good football?

18 minutes ago, toddy said:

Di Matteo please no.

rubbish, his West Brom team was class in attack, and he was the only Chelsea manager that could get Torres scoring.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Sorry to pick up on one of your posts again but you seem to be moving the goalposts with every post.

You said Wassall needed to be replaced with an experienced manager, and I believe you said experienced at this level.

Di Matteo took West Brom up from this division.

You are now stating you wouldn't want him because of his brand of football.

So what is it we want, someone experienced or someone who plays good football?

Negative football is his standard, if Mel got rid of Clement because of the performances then I wouldn't have thought Di Matteo is the answer.

He is having second run of talks at Villa - so likely AV coach in 48 hoiurs.

Positively it would mean NP is still available...............

10 minutes ago, toddy said:

Negative football is his standard, if Mel got rid of Clement because of the performances then I wouldn't have thought Di Matteo is the answer.

He is having second run of talks at Villa - so likely AV coach in 48 hoiurs.

Positively it would mean NP is still available...............

You have not really answered the question though. This is not about what Mel wants but the reason why you have wanted Wassall replaced.

You said we needed a manager that is experienced and done it at this level because that would significantly increase our chances of promotion.

Di Matteo ticks both boxes but now you say you don't want him?

Was Pearsons football so great that he had the current Premier League champions in the relegation zone for 90% of last season?

I think I've deduced that any appointment other than NP is not going to be accepted by you, is that correct?

16 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

You have not really answered the question though. This is not about what Mel wants but the reason why you have wanted Wassall replaced.

You said we needed a manager that is experienced and done it at this level because that would significantly increase our chances of promotion.

Di Matteo ticks both boxes but now you say you don't want him?

Was Pearsons football so great that he had the current Premier League champions in the relegation zone for 90% of last season?

I think I've deduced that any appointment other than NP is not going to be accepted by you, is that correct?

There are 3 coaches/managers every season who get promotion from the championship, every one has experience/success at this level, it does mean I would like any of those coaches /managers here.

NP is my favourite from the current list, strong character, will control the dressing room and done wonders with Leicester and  I actually thought they played some very attacking footie when in the championship, taught us a lesson if I remember correctly.

You are also forgetting Leicester won the league with some tweaking and additions from the Italian, the nucleus of the side was Pearson's. 

Regarding Di Matteo, a good friend is a ST at Chelsea and the season they won the Champions League under Di Matteo, my mate said it was the worse style of playing he'd witnessed for years - but they won the CL!

Some of us like to be successful and play some good stuff.

Got a feeling in me waters its going to be Pearson. Looks set to reject villa according to reports today. He and Warburton are my top two choices in no particular order. I for one would be very happy if its Pearson! Ostriches at the ready!

4 minutes ago, toddy said:

There are 3 coaches/managers every season who get promotion from the championship, every one has experience/success at this level, it does mean I would like any of those coaches /managers here.

NP is my favourite from the current list, strong character, will control the dressing room and done wonders with Leicester and  I actually thought they played some very attacking footie when in the championship, taught us a lesson if I remember correctly.

You are also forgetting Leicester won the league with some tweaking and additions from the Italian, the nucleus of the side was Pearson's. 

Regarding Di Matteo, a good friend is a ST at Chelsea and the season they won the Champions League under Di Matteo, my mate said it was the worse style of playing he'd witnessed for years - but they won the CL!

Some of us like to be successful and play some good stuff.

Fair points but I think you are really limiting the options available with the criteria you set out (as much as I agree with it).

Pearsons stock seems to have risen incredibly in a season where he has not been involved in the game!

31 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Leicester didn't play badly though even when they were bottom of the premier league and despite being bottom of the league he managed to keep them up after an amazing run at the end of the season. Ranieri continued that run with mostly the same squad built by Pearson. He also got Leicester promoted from both the Championship and League One as Champions, so he must be doing something right.

It does look like Pearson is going to reject Villa as well. News is making sound like he didn't like the sound of being third choice.

16 hours ago, Kernow said:

There's no guarantee he would be any different to Clement though. We've been through that and it hasn't worked. The only difference is Clement wasn't a great player. He's still a great coach, he's moved around with one of the world's best managers and coached the world's best players. Didn't Giggs turn down Swansea because he fancied himself at United? Now that's not likely to happen for a while, he may look for a PL job. There were articles linking Clement to Arsenal etc before he came here. That won't happen now. If Giggs came here he would have to do well or he won't get the chance at United which is what he clearly wants. I don't think he'd risk it and I'd prefer experience.

Indeed, I never thought Clement would take the step below.

Derby still have fantastic facilities and good players and we are ready to go up. Personally, I'd rather be known for promoting a Championship team than keep a team like Swansea in the premier league.

I think Giggs prefers a more attacking style of play to Clement and I also think he is a better motivator and also a much bigger name.

Now as for Experience, we've lacked it for years. Even McClaren was too Naive for me, Giggs now has the experience of working under Sir Alex Ferguson, Moyes and Louis Van Gaal and also managing arguably one of, if not the biggest team in the world.

17 minutes ago, toddy said:

Does nobody remember the last time we played Leicester? They tore us apart!

Positive football, breaking out fast on the counter-attack - sign him up, Mel!

4 minutes ago, Zurich Ram said:

Does nobody remember the last time we played Leicester? They tore us apart!

Positive football, breaking out fast on the counter-attack - sign him up, Mel!

Oh the match Steve said "let's not bother defending because we're no good at it anyway. The team only knows one way to play."

Archived