Mel Morris & 2016/17 Season

BBG83

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When all is said and done... we'll all be back here next season, these "I'm not bothered any more" are because of frustration, we never lose the love, I was whining yesterday but today I've calmed down and can't wait for the next defea.. I mean game, I meant game... 

We will all be back next season regardless, its the ******* love for the club... damn!

9 hours ago, Super Johnny Russell said:

I've been critical of Morris since he sacked Clement. The whole club has turned into a complete joke and going to a match at the iPro has been an effort to say the least. Some of his decisions have been laughable and his 'Derby Way' speech was horrible. It looks and feels like he want's to be known and noticed, and I don't like that.

But, behind the scenes he is turning us into a premier league ready club. And that you have to applaud.

So I am going to forget this season and put it down to a new chairman learning his role and trying to do everything right for the club and fans. Even the Wassall appointment. Its all wrong on the face of things but we don't know everything so I have now come to the conclusion that it's good for Derby short and long term, i.e. financially, waiting for the right man, etc.

Renewing my ticket wasn't an easy decision with all the uncertainty, but I have and I'm now looking forward to a new start with a chairman who will have learnt some huge lessons in his first season. That in itself is a positive.

I agree with virtually everything you've said above, & I feel certain the majority other Rams fans would agree with your comments. 

My main real concern about the future is that Mel Morris doesn't seem to me the type of man who admits mistakes to ANYONE let alone himself. Humility is a lovely word but rarely seen in a very successful businessmen. I'm sure he will continue to do it his way & his way ONLY. We will just have to live in hope that he gets it right eventually, but I for one will not be holding my breath.

Could it be that there's talk he's leaving for Derby at the end of the season causing form downturn ala Steve Mac leaving for Newcastle at end of season derailing us?? Just a thought

1 hour ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

Unless we somehow cling on in the play off places and then pull three outstanding performances out of the bag from nowhere, we aren't getting promoted this season.

Therefore for me that's a disappointment, as we have now failed three seasons in a row when going up was eminently possible.

We have the best support in this division and one of the biggest budgets.  I don't think promotion was an unrealistic expectation for Derby fans.

I've given this post a " like" on the strength of it being well thought out, constructed and delivered and entirely making sense... 

However, we are Derby fans and when does anything other than failing to do things well and with the success we crave happen to us? I've been supporting since late 60s and can say with confidence that even when it's going well, it isn't... Things rarely come together and make sense for us!! 

I guess that's one of the more enlightening things about getting older and have many years DCFC experience... I can shrug my shoulders easier. Not get quite as worked up as in my twenties or thirties... 

I'd be happy with Rowett, anyone who's done a decent job at this level will be an improvement on Waffle.. I feel sorry for Wassall though because its obvious he's not cut out for the job and he's looking more and more frazzled after every game.

It'd be nice if they made it public who was going to be in charge next season though, because its becoming a frustration not knowing who is going to be in charge next season.

And I hope Wassall gets his old job back, and I hope for his sake he realises top level management isn't what he's cut out to do.  

27 minutes ago, archied said:

Could it be that there's talk he's leaving for Derby at the end of the season causing form downturn ala Steve Mac leaving for Newcastle at end of season derailing us?? Just a thought

Not talk. Both done deals before the seasons were over?

1 minute ago, DCFCArmy said:

It'd be nice if they made it public who was going to be in charge next season though, because its becoming a frustration not knowing who is going to be in charge next season.

The player's haven't decided who they can put in a full season for yet, they'll let Mel know as soon as they can. ;)

6 hours ago, eddie said:

Regarding renewing, or basically walking away, if your support is conditional or performance-related, the term 'supporter' is moot.

That's a contradictory statement.

You can still be a supporter and choose not to renew or go to games for many a reason or a condition. Plenty on this board fall into this category.

Why can't support be conditional? While I go to all the home games, going to away games has ebbed and flowed over the years depending on many conditions. Yet my support for the club hasn't changed.

1 hour ago, archied said:

Trust me I hope you right , I was so pleased when he bought us, part of that was the fact that he is a fan and made all the right noises regards understanding how fans felt about the club,, it's the handling of the fans re Wassall apointment I find the most concerning ,,, as a fan he must know the fans will be totally confused with what the hell is going on at the club now,,, we have gone from a brilliant start from Mel making it very clear to us he has a vision for the club and knows how he wants to go about it to the academy manager being put in charge with the situation to be reviewed in the summer ? Now if the noises were along the lines of we have a list of candidates that we want for the job and are working tirelessly behind the scenes to get one of those in place as soon as is possible then I for one as a fan would feel comfortable and confident with the future

My sentiments exactly, I couldn't have explained them as well as this, the highlighted bit, I am assuming,  is already

happening, and needs no confirmation out of respect for DW.

I'm sticking with that till we hear any different.

Forgotten about the P/O's already. (not mentioning them)

I think if we came out and said that there will be a new man in the summer & potentially even named them (if the deals done) like chelsea have then it could take the pressure off wassall a bit. The fans at least have an idea whats going on and the clueless decisions by wassall become less worrying to fans as we know its temporary and less likely to jump on his back.

If its the right name on paper it could potentially motivate the players. They need to impress the new manager from now until the end as no doubt they will be 'keeping an eye' on performances and taking note

Looking at the bigger picture we have a great club.

The training ground is superb and will be one of the best in europe. Our under 21's are top of the second division with one game to go. We have a great stadium which, not withstanding the baseball ground nostalgia, is the envy of many. Our commercial enterprise is first class, our turnover therefore very healthy.  Our support is immense, we have already sold 19,000 season tickets for goodness sake. We have a local man in charge worth 800m. 

Its true we all feel a little frustrated with the first team at the moment (some more than others) but we are a top six side and have a talented squad. In my humble opinion Mel will get this right. The missing piece of the jigsaw cannot be far away.

Up The Rams!

50 minutes ago, G-Ram said:

I think if we came out and said that there will be a new man in the summer & potentially even named them (if the deals done) like chelsea have then it could take the pressure off wassall a bit. The fans at least have an idea whats going on and the clueless decisions by wassall become less worrying to fans as we know its temporary and less likely to jump on his back.

If its the right name on paper it could potentially motivate the players. They need to impress the new manager from now until the end as no doubt they will be 'keeping an eye' on performances and taking note

Spot on post, wass needs to be put in a position where Derby fans see him as a good club servant stepping in to do his best in time of need for Derby , the venom he is getting is because most fans know he is hugely the wrong man at the wrong time and are very concerned he is in the running to be made permanent ,, if Mel is his mate he could do worse than step in to take him out the line of fire

20 hours ago, VulcanRam said:

That's a contradictory statement.

You can still be a supporter and choose not to renew or go to games for many a reason or a condition. Plenty on this board fall into this category.

Why can't support be conditional? While I go to all the home games, going to away games has ebbed and flowed over the years depending on many conditions. Yet my support for the club hasn't changed.

It's in my opinion the difference between being a supporter and being a fan. I'd class myself as a fan because at the moment I can't attend games or financially support the club.

On 4 April 2016 at 11:11, RamLad1884 said:

We complain about how this season has gone, but in reality non of us expected big things this season. The Clement fiasco I'd put down to a pure clash of personalities, and I doubt many people saw him as the our 'Alex Ferguson'. New manager in the summer, get that happy feeling back in the camp and we'll be set up on and off the pitch for the prem. 

Well done Mel, keep it up 

"But in reality non of us expected big things this season" ??????.

Where have you been since the beginning of last summer PLANET MARS ?

10 minutes ago, TETRA said:

"But in reality non of us expected big things this season" ??????.

Where have you been since the beginning of last summer PLANET MARS ?

Haha big time. if im honest i expected a top two spot, or Promotion via the playoffs or at very least worst case scenario play brilliantly and just miss out via the playoffs (the final again like macs first season) 

i know nothings guarenteed in football but we'd played good stuff under mac, had the same players barring ward from his side, spent 25mil & brought in a man that wasnt experianced as the number one but was sought after by a few clubs & came in with a good reputation in the football world. On paper looked a good appointment and one that could grow into the role. We also had martin back and the injuries that tarnished macs season were back along with what looked like some good additions. I felt good at the start of the season

Rightly or wrongly my expectation was raised. No matter what mel said about prompton not necessarily being the aim i thought the comment was to take the pressure off and promotion was certainly the aim behind the scenes. It appeared like the final pieces of the jigsaw were comming together 

I think if the majority of fans are honest they'd have to say their expections of going up were raised or at least being in the top three mixer. That in my opinion is what makes our form from boxing day to now and everything else thats gone on harder to take and heightens the  feeling of disapointment with this season

Archived