Mel Morris & 2016/17 Season

BBG83

I've been critical of Morris since he sacked Clement. The whole club has turned into a complete joke and going to a match at the iPro has been an effort to say the least. Some of his decisions have been laughable and his 'Derby Way' speech was horrible. It looks and feels like he want's to be known and noticed, and I don't like that.

But, behind the scenes he is turning us into a premier league ready club. And that you have to applaud.

So I am going to forget this season and put it down to a new chairman learning his role and trying to do everything right for the club and fans. Even the Wassall appointment. Its all wrong on the face of things but we don't know everything so I have now come to the conclusion that it's good for Derby short and long term, i.e. financially, waiting for the right man, etc.

Renewing my ticket wasn't an easy decision with all the uncertainty, but I have and I'm now looking forward to a new start with a chairman who will have learnt some huge lessons in his first season. That in itself is a positive.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We complain about how this season has gone, but in reality non of us expected big things this season. The Clement fiasco I'd put down to a pure clash of personalities, and I doubt many people saw him as the our 'Alex Ferguson'. New manager in the summer, get that happy feeling back in the camp and we'll be set up on and off the pitch for the prem. 

Well done Mel, keep it up 

Nice one SJR .. Although I had no qualms about renewing I was surprised by the PC sacking. These things do happen as a plan develops. 

The encouraging thing for me is that Mel clearly has ambition of the highest order. I just hope we find the right man to take us forward next season. That is never easy, the best CV in the world doesn't guarantee a winner. I am certain that DW is there only while the right man is sought by our excellent and interesting chairman with a long view. I have no issues with the expensive but mediocre signings we made, simply because injuries forced them on us. We would not have spent 10 million if Bryson and Hughes had not been injured in the same match. To describe them as panic buys would be wrong. They were support for a new manager and that ironically increased pressure on him. 

As the Aussies say "she'll be right mate" ... Keep your powder dry. 

Mistakes have been made. He hasn't owned up to them and kinda brushed over them with bizarre decisions. 

Best thing is to show that he had learned from his mistakes, put in a proper recruitment team and a manager at the helm that can sort out the "on the field" mess. 

1 hour ago, Super Johnny Russell said:

The whole club has turned into a complete joke

Slight overreaction to a sacking that many didn't agree with and an appointment many don't agree with. That's football. The club is far from being a complete joke.

Have a look down the A52 for an example of a complete joke

He is investing heavily. I don't care about like for like Ipro pitches at our training ground. Or purchasing players for record fees (who are past their best). Yes getting promoted will lead to the club reaping great financial rewards. But a marginalised fan requires pittance change in order to become happy and hopeful again. Pittance capital in comparison to the tens of millions being invested elsewhere in the club. But when you have the finances, buying a past it player for £6m is easier than satisfying the fans. Some of you guys go to your meetings with the guy. There is quite clearly some disconnect though. You can't moan about how the TV's in the concourse need an urgent upgrade because to people like Mel, the thought process isn't let's get that sorted for you the fan. It's why is this guy complaining about having a new £1000 TV screen when I just bought a player for £6 million. 

The little things are just as important as the big things. These things might seem tedious and pointless to people who sit in the leather seats. But for the average fan they are important. Just appoint a liaison officer, give them a budget and send them out to talk with fans and let them deal with the little matters while Sam and Mel can focus on the big things. We have had some good examples this season already thanks to a committed bunch. Let's expand on this. 

I don't think it is a difficult decision to renew, if you've renewed in the past 20 years then this is far from anything crap we've seen. Obviously it goes back further than that too, 3 Div etc if you were around for that. 

Highly frustrating year but there's a big picture that needs looking at too. The playing staff/manager hasn't quite gone to plan this year and I understand this is the focal point of a football club but there's also been so much done for the club by the current regime. The clubs finances, academy improvements, training ground improvements, stadium improvements (South Stand, whilst not consistently good it's still 10x better than the SE Corner IMO). Everything is being put in place to gear this club up to become a PL one, the mistakes and decisions that have been made this season which haven't quite gone to plan have been made with the best intentions remember. 

I think we're a good manager away from getting it right. Everything else is there. Mel's got a tough task to try and recruit the right one so fingers crossed. 

Regarding renewing, or basically walking away, if your support is conditional or performance-related, the term 'supporter' is moot.

1 hour ago, Uptherams said:

He is investing heavily. I don't care about like for like Ipro pitches at our training ground. Or purchasing players for record fees (who are past their best). Yes getting promoted will lead to the club reaping great financial rewards. But a marginalised fan requires pittance change in order to become happy and hopeful again. Pittance capital in comparison to the tens of millions being invested elsewhere in the club. But when you have the finances, buying a past it player for £6m is easier than satisfying the fans. Some of you guys go to your meetings with the guy. There is quite clearly some disconnect though. You can't moan about how the TV's in the concourse need an urgent upgrade because to people like Mel, the thought process isn't let's get that sorted for you the fan. It's why is this guy complaining about having a new £1000 TV screen when I just bought a player for £6 million. 

The little things are just as important as the big things. These things might seem tedious and pointless to people who sit in the leather seats. But for the average fan they are important. Just appoint a liaison officer, give them a budget and send them out to talk with fans and let them deal with the little matters while Sam and Mel can focus on the big things. We have had some good examples this season already thanks to a committed bunch. Let's expand on this. 

There are plenty of things to be critical about regarding some transfer decisions and on-field performances, but I have to defend Mel and the club on "the little things" you say above. Heating has been introduced to the South Stand, contactless playment, pre-buy beers, etc. They have also been keen to improve matchday experience as much as possible.

Jed Buxton has been appointed as Supporter Liaison Officer and is doing a good job. If you have concerns about things like TV screens in the concourses, heating, catering facilities, pass them on to him. He will reply by email if you email him, he is even on here! @SLO_DCFC

23 minutes ago, The 1884 Group said:

There are plenty of things to be critical about regarding some transfer decisions and on-field performances, but I have to defend Mel and the club on "the little things" you say above.

What I just said.

>We have had some good examples this season already thanks to a committed bunch. Let's expand on this. 

17 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

What I just said.

>We have had some good examples this season already thanks to a committed bunch. Let's expand on this. 

Maybe I read it wrong but you also said 

> But when you have the finances, buying a past it player for £6m is easier than satisfying the fans

> You can't moan about how the TV's in the concourse need an urgent upgrade because to people like Mel, the thought process isn't let's get that sorted for you the fan. It's why is this guy complaining about having a new £1000 TV screen when I just bought a player for £6 million. 

> These things might seem tedious and pointless to people who sit in the leather seats

> Just appoint a liaison officer, give them a budget and send them out to talk with fans and let them deal with the little matters

The first two just aren't true, the third one the club is already doing.

6 hours ago, RamLad1884 said:

We complain about how this season has gone, but in reality non of us expected big things this season. The Clement fiasco I'd put down to a pure clash of personalities, and I doubt many people saw him as the our 'Alex Ferguson'. New manager in the summer, get that happy feeling back in the camp and we'll be set up on and off the pitch for the prem. 

Well done Mel, keep it up 

What do you mean "In reality none of us expected big things this season"?

I think you'll find the majority of fans DID expect big things this season. One of the Worlds most sought after coaches, an enthusiastic manager, a club committed to spending on proven players etc

Then to quote Charlie Wilson's War "We fooked up the end game"

4 hours ago, Mr Tibbs said:

I don't think it is a difficult decision to renew, if you've renewed in the past 20 years then this is far from anything crap we've seen. Obviously it goes back further than that too, 3 Div etc if you were around for that. 

Highly frustrating year but there's a big picture that needs looking at too. The playing staff/manager hasn't quite gone to plan this year and I understand this is the focal point of a football club but there's also been so much done for the club by the current regime. The clubs finances, academy improvements, training ground improvements, stadium improvements (South Stand, whilst not consistently good it's still 10x better than the SE Corner IMO). Everything is being put in place to gear this club up to become a PL one, the mistakes and decisions that have been made this season which haven't quite gone to plan have been made with the best intentions remember. 

I think we're a good manager away from getting it right. Everything else is there. Mel's got a tough task to try and recruit the right one so fingers crossed. 

The bit in this post I'm addressing is the bit about being a good manager away from getting it right ,,, it's spot on the huge fear is that it seems like Mel does not want a good manager ,, I hope to god I'm wrong but clement as a total novice then Wassall a total novice on trial till the end of the season with a shot at permanent appointment just rings alarm bells for me ,, yes you can say what if Wassall got us promotion ? Does he deserve it ? Taking on the premiership next season with all the investment in players that entails,,,, really??

Unless we somehow cling on in the play off places and then pull three outstanding performances out of the bag from nowhere, we aren't getting promoted this season.

Therefore for me that's a disappointment, as we have now failed three seasons in a row when going up was eminently possible.

We have the best support in this division and one of the biggest budgets.  I don't think promotion was an unrealistic expectation for Derby fans.

12 minutes ago, archied said:

The bit in this post I'm addressing is the bit about being a good manager away from getting it right ,,, it's spot on the huge fear is that it seems like Mel does not want a good manager ,, I hope to god I'm wrong but clement as a total novice then Wassall a total novice on trial till the end of the season with a shot at permanent appointment just rings alarm bells for me ,, yes you can say what if Wassall got us promotion ? Does he deserve it ? Taking on the premiership next season with all the investment in players that entails,,,, really??

Hopefully it's just a learning curve for Mel, I don't know him and I've never met him but I'd be gobsmacked if Wass got the job. 

A lot of "if's" have to happen first. Like if we finish in the top 6, it we can amour be the semis, if we can win the final, if Mel would even give DW the job... 

MM is a fan, he's made some cock ups for sure and I'm certain he knows it but his best intentions are there and that's the key for me. Look up and down the country at some owners and where their intentions lie.

7 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Hopefully it's just a learning curve for Mel, I don't know him and I've never met him but I'd be gobsmacked if Wass got the job. 

A lot of "if's" have to happen first. Like if we finish in the top 6, it we can amour be the semis, if we can win the final, if Mel would even give DW the job... 

MM is a fan, he's made some cock ups for sure and I'm certain he knows it but his best intentions are there and that's the key for me. Look up and down the country at some owners and where their intentions lie.

Trust me I hope you right , I was so pleased when he bought us, part of that was the fact that he is a fan and made all the right noises regards understanding how fans felt about the club,, it's the handling of the fans re Wassall apointment I find the most concerning ,,, as a fan he must know the fans will be totally confused with what the hell is going on at the club now,,, we have gone from a brilliant start from Mel making it very clear to us he has a vision for the club and knows how he wants to go about it to the academy manager being put in charge with the situation to be reviewed in the summer ? Now if the noises were along the lines of we have a list of candidates that we want for the job and are working tirelessly behind the scenes to get one of those in place as soon as is possible then I for one as a fan would feel comfortable and confident with the future

Archived