Poor signings sum up season so far

Sparkle

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

What approach would you take?

Keep the signings and see if a new manager can make a team out of them?

Well done signings and take a financial hit (on the assumption none of the players would fetch what we paid for them)

Keep the squad and add even more signings next season?

To hijack your post a bit, I'd like to see Mel Morris agree a budget, give the keys to Sam Rush with instructions to run it his way and appoint who he sees fit, then **** off on holiday for the summer. 

I love Mel to bits, but I can't think of a decision he's made which has worked yet. Sam is by far the more shrewd of the two it seems, when it comes to operational decisions at a football club

Always going to make good and bad signings last summer, next summer and every summer.

There's enough there to be playing better than this. 

Everyone can do much more. Look at each player and ask how they compare to themselves at their best... it's not good enough.

5 minutes ago, needles said:

To hijack your post a bit, I'd like to see Mel Morris agree a budget, give the keys to Sam Rush with instructions to run it his way and appoint who he sees fit, then **** off on holiday for the summer. 

I love Mel to bits, but I can't think of a decision he's made which has worked yet. Sam is by far the more shrewd of the two it seems, when it comes to operational decisions at a football club

What makes you think it has been done any differently this season?

I suppose at the end of the day the next proper manager needs to know who these players are,what can they do and what they can not do, get rid of the fluff and the ones who don't want to be at DCFC,get motivated to the right levels required reinforce where actually needed and play to our strengths. Yes we need a manager who knows this league, it has to be a British type manager from either Pearson, Rodgers, O'neil or even Mc claren - the likes of Villa and the north east clubs could be snapping them up soon! 

31 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

The impression I've formed is that Mel has been making the decisions. Fine. His money. I'd imagine he'd be disappointed with the outcomes so far though.

You reckon different GSR?

I don't think Brian Clough could turn this team moral around, too many players, too quickly.

The squad is huge and if a player isn't being played he would make it known, good teams play with a small squad.

I would like to see a strong end to this season and carry it on for next year.

14 minutes ago, needles said:

The impression I've formed is that Mel has been making the decisions. Fine. His money. I'd imagine he'd be disappointed with the outcomes so far though.

It would beg the question why he is still employing Sam Rush if that is the case.

56 minutes ago, needles said:

Get the impression whoever is making the decisions, we are signing players on a stats based approach. So they might make a lot of passes say, so without picking on specific players, says for instance player X makes a lot of 10 yards sideways passes. His pass completion will be high and stats good but is that the right person for the team or certain role needed. Just something I overheard Gary Rowett not so long ago.

Just now, Zag zig said:

Get the impression whoever is making the decisions, we are signing players on a stats based approach. So they might make a lot of passes say, so without picking on specific players, says for instance player X makes a lot of 10 yards sideways passes. His pass omelet ion will be high and stats good but is that the right person for the team or certain role needed. Just something I overheard Gary Rowett not so long ago.

That is 1 of the best typos ever :lol:

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Do you really think it was Sam's decision to appoint DW?

when Sam fired Nigel, he obviously had a new manager lined up, and had done his homework. 

Under Mel ownership, you really think Mel left it upto Sam, and merely sanctioned Sam's stunning vision in getting DW in? 

You also asked why still employ Sam.....well if I wanted to take all decisions when running a club, I would absolutely want Sam still in post. To achieve this I would at the outset offer Sam a long term contract. Kind of like what Mel has done. 

Our recruitment policy should have been to buy better players than what we already have but who dont unbalance the side

instead we have replaced players with players of less or equal ability at a higher cost... Reminds me of the scatter gun approach to recruitment we had under jewell

i also feel we are now unbalanced 

38 minutes ago, igorlegend said:

Do you really think it was Sam's decision to appoint DW?

when Sam fired Nigel, he obviously had a new manager lined up, and had done his homework. 

Under Mel ownership, you really think Mel left it upto Sam, and merely sanctioned Sam's stunning vision in getting DW in? 

You also asked why still employ Sam.....well if I wanted to take all decisions when running a club, I would absolutely want Sam still in post. To achieve this I would at the outset offer Sam a long term contract. Kind of like what Mel has done. 

I imagine it was a decision that was discussed between MM and SR.

Your last paragraph makes no sense to me at all I'm afraid.

Alex Neil had the ability to get the best out of Bradley Johnson and made him a key member of a promted side. 

Clarke got Blackman firing at Reading. McClaren got Bent scoring week in, week out at this level. 

I don't think it's the players fault. We've seen every single player in our squad perform to much higher standard than they currently are under different management. 

I think Clement and Wassall are just really poor at getting the best out of players. It has shown all season. 

Archived