Poor signings sum up season so far

Sparkle

Sometimes signing new players works well yet we seem to deteriorate far to much when we make them, for me this season

carson,shackle, Olson,Ince and Butterfield are ok but not great 

Wieman, Blackman,Johnson have been so disappointing it is beyond believe

when you throw in Bent,Camara,Baird and Pearce who we never see on a pitch it becomes rather frustrating to say the least

we may as well have blooded lots our youngsters as we wouldn't have felt so disappointed by them.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Sometimes signing new players works well yet we seem to deteriorate far to much when we make them, for me this season

carson,shackle, Olson,Ince and Butterfield are ok but not great 

Wieman, Blackman,Johnson have been so disappointing it is beyond believe

when you throw in Bent,Camara,Baird and Pearce who we never see on a pitch it becomes rather frustrating to say the least

we may as well have blooded lots our youngsters as we wouldn't have felt so disappointed by them.

Again as I put in an earlier post it's easy to say that now ! The only ones who I found strange at the time were Blackman and Camara!  Rest can be justified!  (Kind of ) not saying they have been successful in the slightest but at the time there weren't too many winging ! 

Agreed!!  I have  love for carson, i think he's great if I'm honest such a good signing for saying how much he cost...

However, i do feel Johnson is being played out of position which is hindering his performances, lets not forget that he made a good first impression when playing in a more natural position under clement.. But yes apart for his first 5 games he's been poor. I feel sorry for weimann because eyes never been given a proper chance, he got 4 games in November i think and got nominated for PFA player of the month...... Ince just frustrates me, he can be a really promising 1 game but then have 3 games where he isn't involved.

But yeah, Baird, Camera, Blackman, Pearce and unfortunately Bent.....all a complete waste of money due to lack of appearances!

I cant see why we couldn't have combined the money for some players that were brought for squad 'depth' and bought 1 quality player. Who though?

3 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

Again as I put in an earlier post it's easy to say that now ! The only ones who I found strange at the time were Blackman and Camara!  Rest can be justified!  (Kind of ) not saying they have been successful in the slightest but at the time there weren't too many winging ! 

I agree, it is the amount of non performing signings that is very disappointing 

For me Carson was and still is a fantastic signing - he kept the score respectable today.

Olsson is ok - better attacking threat than Warnock, but worse defensively and should be replaced by Forsyth when he returns.

Shackle again is ok, but don't really think he is that much better than Bucco.

Butterfield scores some good goals, but thats about it imo.

Johnson played really well when he joined us with some great long passing, but has lost it a bit recently (which doesn't help playing out of position all the time - he definitely shouldn't be playing LW).

I don't really know why we signed Blackman when he hadn't scored for a long time when we decided we wanted him and his preferred position isn't even one that we needed to fill. Not really played enough to make an impression - waste of money for me. I would also say Camara was a waste of money since we apparently don't want to play him - I think he has potential and is one of our only natural wingers, but our management clearly thinks differently.

Bent doesn't justify his large wages.

Baird ok, but not better than others in his position and Pearce never really saw him play.

I do however also really like Ince and Weimann (wish he would be given more of a chance). Ince's main problem is consistency and Weimann needs to work on his finishing, but apart from that I think they can be great in the championship.

Overall I would say at the moment Carson (and possibly Ince) is our only signing that has significantly improved the team -and that we have wasted a lot of money on players we didn't need.

7 minutes ago, Dcfc10 said:

We were signing players left right and centre when clemant come in. before he even set foot on training pitch. So its mel morris who as to take the blame for the signing to much to quick. 

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. I would challenge you to find more than 5 posts that were saying that at the time.

8 minutes ago, Dcfc10 said:

I take that back about mel he done good for us. just will take abit longer to get promoted learn from our mistakes. 

What approach would you take?

Keep the signings and see if a new manager can make a team out of them?

Well done signings and take a financial hit (on the assumption none of the players would fetch what we paid for them)

Keep the squad and add even more signings next season?

Let's be honest, prior to recent form.

Bradley Johnson (at the time) was considered to be a major coup.

Butterfield was highly regarded, still is and had barely put a foot wrong prior to the turn of the year.

Carson was a great find and at a good age for a keeper.

Weimann was supposedly going to rip the league a new one and even now i'm seeing Villa fans begging him to return

Shackell didn't look out of place last season in the Prem and considered to be one of the best in the Championship

Bent and Ince had a decent spells last season

Baird was Eustace mark II and is still a international

Blackman was on fire for Reading and was considered another option for Martin

Camara had the pace  and trickery we lacked out wide

Pearce was a freebie and was another leader in the lockeroom - with Premiership experience

Bad signings, or simply bad coaching and management to get the best out of X player? Bradley Johnson hasn't become a bad player overnight, he was outstanding for Norwich last season, even in his earlier weeks here he was putting in 8 or 9 ratings (Wolves stands out). 

8 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Let's be honest, prior to recent form.

Blackman was on fire for Reading and was considered another option for Martin

I was kind of with you till I read that. I don't think he'd scored since September had he?

Carson as been a fantastic signing, and the cheapest of the lot as well which just about sums it up

Ince is one of the best players in this league and with the right man in charge he'd be just that imo, he'd be an handful under the right system. Butters is good as is Olsson, Shacks despite the poor passing is good we can all agree on that. 

The rest are becoming panic buys though, Blackman is good at this level but seems to have been thrown on the scrap heap after a handful of games.. all in all the club needs to take a long hard look in the mirror after some of the dealings this season, we're becoming a right laughing stock. 

Im not sure they were poor signings, its more the amount of signings.

We signed so many players that they cant all get game time and they cant all integrate into the squad properly, leaves you with players who are unhappy and not match fit.

The second half of last season was ****, but I wouldnt have said we needed to sign 12 players to fix that.

We didnt need 3 strikers and 2 wingers

7 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I was kind of with you till I read that. I don't think he'd scored since September had he?

Of his 13 goals he has scored:

0 for Derby

1 in 2016

2 in his last 19 games

And hasnt scored more than one in a game since August

Good post Papahet, I'm at a loss to explain the apparent lethargy/lack of urgency. Is no one asking "who wants it" I know that's a cliche and frankly a bit annoying, but we have no one out on the pitch dishing out bo11ockings for under par effort.

Yeah we know Wassell isn't up to it, I wonder if he'd rather be back with the relatively anonymity of the under 21's but is being cajoled into staying with the first team against his own better judgement (anyone ever been pressured into a role in their jobs by management they'd rather not do ? I know I have)

Where's the player's own desire ? Didn't last season's last day capitulation bother them enough to roll sleeves up to make sure it didn't happen again ? 

It's Derby County Football Club I love, the club itself, around 60% of this squad can kiss my arse because I'm not convinced they are putting the effort in I'd like to see.

Archived