Poor signings sum up season so far

Sparkle

Two ACL injuries to Bryson ad Hughes on opening day completely scuppered the signings plan. We were in for Butters i think before that, but after Huddersfield knew we'd have to buy him and Johnson was a bit panic buy without being parrt of a grand plan.

To be honest, there were not many outright "bad" signings, but an overall lack of plan, oversight, budget control whatever. Most looked OK coming in but never settled or really kicked on. The January signings seemed a bit pointless though, we overpaid for Blackman, a lot, and Camara i don't know why, having seen him in training he never gets near the team.

I think it's the overpaying and the quantity that make it so bad overall, "sign that clubs POTS" is not going to find you a bargain is it.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've signed far too many players. And most of them are good players, but not the right players. We are trying to fit square pegs into round holes, and surprisingly, it hasn't worked. We play 4-3-3...

Bradders- awesome as left sided in 4-4-2. We are trying to play him in a mid three, or in a front three. Bonkers.

Weimann- he's a striker, not a left/right sided winger/forward. 

Bent- he's a striker that needs another striker to play with in a 4-4-2. He's rubbish at holding the ball ala CM.

Camara- winger in 4-4-2...or is he? Would be nice to see him play. Can't be right if he isn't playing.

Blackman- wants to play striker. Seems like that's what he was coming here for. 

Butters- good with ball at feet, but not quick enough or imposing enough for the way we play. Quality player but doesn't drive on to support CM.

We need forwards to support CM with midfielders like bryson driving on to overlap and overwhelm other teams. 

I'm still sh!tty about the play off final 2 years back. That season we jsut clicked. Squad wasn't bloated. Players knew their positions and the system. 

It's stressful being a Derby fan. 

Despite the end to last season we actually barely needed any signings and new additions at all.

I'd say absolute necessities were competition for Bucko/cover while he was injured, basically a centre back that could do a job and was comfortable on the ball, a replacement for Eustace as back up DM (or we could've just kept Eustace), a new winger (Ince) whilst keeping hold of what we already had in that position, and a reasonable cover for Martin, somebody like Kermorgant maybe although obviously this may have been harder to find.

Obviously the injuries on opening day affected things but there was absolutely no need to go out and spend £10m on two players on huge contracts when we needed cover for 6 months.

So instead of just filling these three positions of need and keeping hold of what had shown themselves to be of more than reasonable quality, we decided to sign whatever we could, like a kid in a sweet shop when he's just been given his pocket money.

Carson has been good, a genuine upgrade on Grant, so no real problem with that. To my mind, Baird was signed as Thorne cover but never used there, good intentions but ultimately pointless. Shackell is a good defender but is so awful on the ball it negates all of that and smacks of awful scouting. There must surely have been better out there for £3m? Pearce, waste of time. Olsson is okay, filled a position for six months but not as good as Fozzy so why not get a loan in? I don't think we could've found a player so unsuitable as Bradley Johnson and like I said why not just get cover in for six months rather than this stupid contract we're now lumbered with. Butterfield, good player but can't even get in the team now so what chance does he have when Hughes is back? Camara, Blackman, don't see the point in them. £2.5m spent on Ward's replacement in Weimann, may as well have burned that money. And I can understand getting excited about Bent and signing him because he ended last season well but what's the point in that huge contract?

Our signings have just been an absolute shambles and anyone with any sense would have surely recognised how awful the vast majority were going to be.

7 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

We never really replaced ward and Dawkins. 

But even had we done so, if the coaching isn't aiming at the fast paced passing football full of triangles and 3rd person runs, then it would have been a waste of time. 

Agree with this, and our attacking options as back ups just dont play well in the system we are now going back to.

But I think the biggest sign we arent up there,has nothing to do with poor forward play this season. Although this has been an issue, the BIGGER issue is the inability to do the basics well without the ball.

ie stopping crosses, harrying the opposition physically in our half, and just dealing with crosses when the ball does come in. We looked good at it under our best run of form under Clement, but we are now back to unable to deal with this.

Whilst you may argue it is our style to play out from the back, keogh and Shackell simply do not know when NOT do to it. They get caught out way too much. Its not just what we are coaching then, we should be coaching them what NOT TO DO... if we want to become hard to beat and get a few more 0-0s and sneaky 1-0s away from home.

19 hours ago, G-Ram said:

Our recruitment policy should have been to buy better players than what we already have but who dont unbalance the side

instead we have replaced players with players of less or equal ability at a higher cost... Reminds me of the scatter gun approach to recruitment we had under jewell

i also feel we are now unbalanced 

There are a few on here who are unbalanced too.

Archived