Stick or Twist?

sage

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Beagle said:

Go ask the players why they are not intelligent enough to play in more than one system.....that is the reason it cannot change till more  adaptable players of similar or high skill levels arrive.

Could not agree more.

Certain players suit different systems better but for them to be unable to play other systems is laughable.

Unfortunately we don't play a 4-3-3.

We play a 4-3-2-1 with Martin as a target man and because of the style we started with this season under Clement we usually end up with Martin isolated.

I would like to see us play a true 4-3-3 with 3 pacey front men, but for that to happen will would need to start playing an attacking style of football and pressing further up the field. 

Our system worked much better in 2014 because we had two overlapping fullbacks, and two wingers that could bust a gut and get back to cover them. Ward and the 2014 Russell were so important to how we played. We got Worldys from Bamford but we lost Wisdom as Bamford never got back and so Andre couldn't get forward as much. 

Our whole system relies on energy and desire. 

Wisdom, Ward (when fit), Forsyth, Bryson, Hendrick and 2014 Russell could literally run and run and run. That's why the system worked, and we would score so many late goals. Ipswich and Yeovil in that season literally didn't have a clue what had hit them. They couldn't defend against us. 

We haven't had that energy for a while now. That energy is contagious and attack after attack made to crowd deafening and the whole atmosphere was amazing. 

Since Christmas before last, so nowt to do with Shackell, we have been pissing about at the back, dilly dallying, and at times getting caught out. Everyone wants an extra 25 touches rather than get it down...bang, into feet... 

Butterfield and Johnson aren't quick moving players. They don't have the energy that Hendrick and Bryson have/had in 2014. 

I am hoping however, that this new found fitness that seems to have come in sin PCs departure, will help us get that rapid tempo back, because the way we played required extreme fitness. 

Who knows though, maybe we will build up to the playoffs and be the freshest, fittest team once/if we get there. 

Might all be a masterplan. 

20 minutes ago, TroyDyer said:

Our system worked much better in 2014 because we had two overlapping fullbacks, and two wingers that could bust a gut and get back to cover them. Ward and the 2014 Russell were so important to how we played. We got Worldys from Bamford but we lost Wisdom as Bamford never got back and so Andre couldn't get forward as much. 

Our whole system relies on energy and desire. 

Wisdom, Ward (when fit), Forsyth, Bryson, Hendrick and 2014 Russell could literally run and run and run. That's why the system worked, and we would score so many late goals. Ipswich and Yeovil in that season literally didn't have a clue what had hit them. They couldn't defend against us. 

We haven't had that energy for a while now. That energy is contagious and attack after attack made to crowd deafening and the whole atmosphere was amazing. 

Since Christmas before last, so nowt to do with Shackell, we have been pissing about at the back, dilly dallying, and at times getting caught out. Everyone wants an extra 25 touches rather than get it down...bang, into feet... 

Butterfield and Johnson aren't quick moving players. They don't have the energy that Hendrick and Bryson have/had in 2014. 

I am hoping however, that this new found fitness that seems to have come in sin PCs departure, will help us get that rapid tempo back, because the way we played required extreme fitness. 

Who knows though, maybe we will build up to the playoffs and be the freshest, fittest team once/if we get there

Might all be a masterplan. 

Dream on.

Unfortunately its coming to the business end of the season and we will have tired legs.

Paid a fortune and playing 180 minutes of football a week, its got to be so hard......:lol:

4 hours ago, toddy said:

Dream on.

Unfortunately its coming to the business end of the season and we will have tired legs.

Paid a fortune and playing 180 minutes of football a week, its got to be so hard......:lol:

Maybe. Maybe not. 

Hughes will take a few games but he will be fresh. Martin looks to have dropped a pound or two. Blackman and Weimann have hardly played. Olsson looks sharp. Hanson a revelation at RB. Ince is looking more confident. Russell starting to find form. 

Maybe we have saved the best for the vinegar strokes. 

I think we stick with the tried and tested.

Get rid of players who have barely played this season such as: Camara, Bent, Blackman and Weimann. Even though I do like the look of all four in ways, there is very little point in having what cost us over £6 million sat at home on a match day.

Also, sell the others who haven't worked out: Baird, Pearce, Shotton and Warnock.

Then sign one more winger who can also play as a striker (similar to Blackman) and use the youth as extra back up.

Use Hanson, Christie, Olsson and Forsyth as our full backs. Bring in another centre back, with Rawson as extra backup for both right back and centre back, with Max Lowe available as extra cover at left back. Stick with our current midfield. Use Zanzala, Bennett and Calero as backup for other positions.

Use the youth!!!

^my philosophy 

This would give us a very good squad for next season with a couple of good quality additions and up we go. Easy as that (;

1 minute ago, The Rams 127 said:

I think we stick with the tried and tested.

Get rid of players who have barely played this season such as: Camara, Bent, Blackman and Weimann. Even though I do like the look of all three in ways, there is very little point in having over £6 million sat at home on a match day.

Also, sell the others who haven't worked out: Baird, Pearce, Shotton and Warnock.

Then sign one more winger who can also play as a striker (similar to Blackman) and use the youth as extra back up.

Use Hanson, Christie, Olsson and Forsyth as our full backs. Bring in another centre back, with Rawson as extra backup for both right back and centre back, with Max Lowe available as extra cover at left back. Stick with our current midfield. Use Zanzala, Bennett and Calero as backup for other positions.

Use the youth!!!

?my philosophy 

This would give us a very good squad for next season with a couple of good quality additions and up we go. Easy as that?

We were always on a hiding to nothing if Camara, Bent, Blackman and Weimann only make up 3 people between them.

I think with DW and Arry we have split two sevens.

We have gained a King on each having beaten Forest.

This has retained interest but isn't strong enough to stick on.

Which is more likely - a four or higher than a four?

That's where we are. 

Warnock is out of contract at the end of the season, I'd be half tempted to keep him on, as he's great back up - but if he's after 1st team games, rightly so at his age, he will move on.

Blackman doesn't fit our system in the slightest. There must be some quality about him, else he wouldn't have scored as many as he has this season, but I am yet to see it on the pitch. Hate writing players off, but I don't see him having a future at Derby.

Baird will be gone, won't displace either of Christie or Hanson, Keogh, Shackell, Thorne, Olsson or Forsyth in their relative positions. Looked a good signing on the face of it, didn't work out.

Bent again doesn't particularly fit the system. Otherwise, see Warnock.

Pearce, see Warnock.

Shotton, okay backup, see Baird.

Weimann, decent back up, will probably stick around.

Not seen enough of Camara to make an opinion, but the fact that he's struggling to make even the bench says something.

Think what speaks volumes is that we could stand to lose most of these, and not have that much of an impact on squad depth, of course relying on most staying fit.

4 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Warnock is out of contract at the end of the season, I'd be half tempted to keep him on, as he's great back up - but if he's after 1st team games, rightly so at his age, he will move on.

Blackman doesn't fit our system in the slightest. There must be some quality about him, else he wouldn't have scored as many as he has this season, but I am yet to see it on the pitch. Hate writing players off, but I don't see him having a future at Derby.

Baird will be gone, won't displace either of Christie or Hanson, Keogh, Shackell, Thorne, Olsson or Forsyth in their relative positions. Looked a good signing on the face of it, didn't work out.

Bent again doesn't particularly fit the system. Otherwise, see Warnock.

Pearce, see Warnock.

Shotton, okay backup, see Baird.

Weimann, decent back up, will probably stick around.

Not seen enough of Camara to make an opinion, but the fact that he's struggling to make even the bench says something.

Think what speaks volumes is that we could stand to lose most of these, and not have that much of an impact on squad depth, of course relying on most staying fit.

Wassall hates the French*

*this may not be true.

Archived