Stick or Twist?

sage

This summer, presuming we don't get promoted, should we stick with our current system or move onto something new.

We currently have a system of 433 with a target man who demands the ball to feet, with midfield runners pushing beyond him, wingers tucking in to shoot and full backs providing width.

We know this system works very well but it is dependent on having the right type of player in each position and a back up. It could be argued that our recent travails started when we didn't replace Thorne/Eustace and Martin in February 2015 and our recent signings have muddied the waters too.

So, should we jettison every player who doesn't fit the blueprint and concentrate recruitment on players who will fit the 2014 vintage 433 or go roughly with what we have and try to forge a new system that is less dependent on having players with a specific skill set? 

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ball to feet is fine centrally but if we aspire to play a high tempo game then wingers need to run into at lest some passes and one ball playing central defender would be nice.  A 433 that can adjust into 451 sounds reasonable for this squad, with a backup of oh i don't know, something similar perhaps?  i like a high tempo fluid game, mixing it up with large emphasis on mentality and just a pinch of salt, how about you?

17 minutes ago, ramit said:

Ball to feet is fine centrally but if we aspire to play a high tempo game then wingers need to run into at lest some passes and one ball playing central defender would be nice.  A 433 that can adjust into 451 sounds reasonable for this squad, with a backup of oh i don't know, something similar perhaps?  i like a high tempo fluid game, mixing it up with large emphasis on mentality and just a pinch of salt, how about you?

I will take that as a stick with more from our wingers and no Shackell. 

I would like to see us  go with a diamond midfield making the best use of players like Will Hughes and Tom Ince. Some of our midfielders and strikers struggle playing out wide, not surprising really as they are not wingers. This would mean having two good wing backs to make this system work. It would also enable us to play two strikers. We could also change back to a 4-4-2 by  having a proper winger (Camara) on the bench as a plan B.

2 hours ago, sage said:

This summer, presuming we don't get promoted, should we stick with our current system or move onto something new.

We currently have a system of 433 with a target man who demands the ball to feet, with midfield runners pushing beyond him, wingers tucking in to shoot and full backs providing width.

We know this system works very well but it is dependent on having the right type of player in each position and a back up. It could be argued that our recent travails started when we didn't replace Thorne/Eustace and Martin in February 2015 and our recent signings have muddied the waters too.

So, should we jettison every player who doesn't fit the blueprint and concentrate recruitment on players who will fit the 2014 vintage 433 or go roughly with what we have and try to forge a new system that is less dependent on having players with a specific skill set? 

Thought that was what Clement was doing 

He tried 3 different systems pre season didn't he. 

Wasn't allowed to complete the job as he got sacked. 

6 minutes ago, curtains said:

Thought that was what Clement was doing 

He tried 3 different systems pre season didn't he. 

Wasn't allowed to complete the job as he got sacked. 

Clement ended up using 4-3-3 for most of our games as it was the only one of his systems he could get working. Every time he tried to play another one it wouldn't work well (drawing against Reading and Bolton and losing to Porstmouth).

4 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

Clement ended up using 4-3-3 for most of our games as it was the only one of his systems he could get working. Every time he tried to play another one it wouldn't work well (drawing against Reading and Bolton and losing to Porstmouth).

What system did we play when we beat Bristol City 4-0 with an Ince Hat trick. 

3 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

What system did we play for the majority of our unbeaten run? 

4-3-3 i believe . 

OP is asking should we change it or stick with it .

Not easy to change as Clement found out and he got sacked  

Could Wassall change it easily !

I doubt it so my answer is STICK with 4-3-3  

Just now, curtains said:

4-3-3 i believe . 

OP is asking should we change it or stick with it .

Not easy to change as Clement found out and he got sacked  

Could Wassall change it easily ! 

I thought you were saying that Clement didn't have enough time to change the system.

11 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

I thought you were saying that Clement didn't have enough time to change the system.

That's an old argument really .

Im just saying Clement tried 3 systems but then went back to 4-3-3 and I'm not sure it could be easily changed at Derby and I wouldn't want another wholesale player  revolution again. 

31 minutes ago, curtains said:

That's an old argument really .

Im just saying Clement tried 3 systems but then went back to 4-3-3 and I'm not sure it could be easily changed at Derby and I wouldn't want another wholesale player  revolution again. 

Clement did change it to a degree, he felt it was too open.

theres no doubt in my mind when Johnson arrived he was told to play in the 4-3-3 we now know, ie as high up as Butterfield, and as time drew on, he asked him to sit deeper almost alongside Thorne. Johnson didnt get forward at all after the Forest away game onwards.

Archived