Wassall's post match interview with Owen Bradley

North_Stand_Ram

Given all the criticism and vitriol being levied at Wassall (unfair based on the fact that he shouldn't have been appointed in this temporary role in the first instance but deserved on the back of team selections, poor game management, questionable substitutions and unbelievable post-match assessments), when the time comes to appoint a permanent manager, can DW realistically return to his previous post at the academy?

My fear is that this experience will affect him to the extent that he won't want to remain at the Club, which would be a real shame given the progress being made with the U21s'. If this does happen then responsibility will rest firmly at the feet of the Chairman!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

Zero media training. I was listening in the car and had to turn it off, I was cringing so much. 

I think it's hard to blame Wassall entirely because he's been thrown very much in the deep end by Mel, but he's not making it any better for himself.

Thought we'd recently appointed new Media Advisor? Not earning his money by the sound of things.

Its impossible to explain the ridiculous decision which is why it was so awkward. Its beyond belief what he did yesterday its almost criminal. His decision is more akin to what a kid would do on football manager not a professional Manager in the championship for gods sake.

I cant help the team is still 5th despite DW rather than because of him. Mel better have a good manager available to risk failing at getting in the play-offs again. 

57 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Thought we'd recently appointed new Media Advisor? Not earning his money by the sound of things.

Media Advisor: "Look Darren, show that you're disappointed with losing to MK Dons but saw the correct application from the players which gives you a lot of confidence things will come good under your management"

Wassall to media: "I'm absolutely delighted with that"

The most cringeworthy interview I've ever heard from a Derby manager, absolutely pathetic responses to very good questions from OB. Can't blame DW for the position he's been put but he's got be be more pragmatic and speak with his his head and not his heart. Players have to take some responsibility but the buck stops with DW - you're the manager mate, you make the decisions, these are your tactics, subs etc. Listening to the Clough interview, he sounds like a leader, commands respect etc, that's the least you can ask of a manager (for the record I don't want Nigel back), would Shackell have berated Clough? I doubt it. Hopefully Darren can get the game management right before Forest...

Having just watched the clip showing the incident between Shackell and Wassall at the end of the match and then listening to Wassalls' interview on RD, for him to say he couldn't recall the exchange has to be an out and out lie - you don't fail to recall something of that nature within 15-20 minutes of it happening! Why not just say "I don't want to discuss that until I've spoken to Jason" or something along those lines - that couldn't make the situation any worse than it has subsequently become!

1 minute ago, ollycutts1982 said:

I find Wassall's interviews similar to purposely hitting your funny bone, you know it will hurt and don't really want to do it but can't help your self. They truly are farcical. 

Joking apart if you can the guy needs some urgent coaching on speaking to the media or he will continue to hang himself out to dry in public 

Just now, ollycutts1982 said:

Definitely. I know it has been mentioned but his interview yesterday was shocking. 

This is support he needs from the club if his opinions are being put forward as representative of Derby County as an entity then Morris has got to try and give the guy some advice soon surely 

9 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

I find Wassall's interviews similar to purposely hitting your funny bone, you know it will hurt and don't really want to do it but can't help your self. They truly are farcical. 

I now have a strange image of you in my head repeatedly hitting your funny bone on a wall:D

Watching that video of him and Shackell and him walking off the pitch I actually feel sorry for him. Just can't help thinking he's been put in a position that he's clearly out of his depth for. MM will surely be regretting saying DW is here till the end of the season, rather than a temporary/trial basis for a few games. He knows he couldn't go back on this easily following the Clement sacking. 

5 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

This is support he needs from the club if his opinions are being put forward as representative of Derby County as an entity then Morris has got to try and give the guy some advice soon surely 

I am just finding it so frustrating, the club I have supported for 25 years is at present being run as it is. Especially when you look at the table and considering results we are still in the play off positions and in touching decisions of the top 2 though I think that is unrealistic. The new manager better be worth it. 

Even more reason to get Nigel Pearson in. Owen Bradley is starting to get cocky on Twitter. He badgered McLaren until he buggered off to Newcastle. He was so unpleasant to Clement that he begged Mel to sack him to avoid another interrogation. Now he's failing to let Wassall bask in the glory that his amazing motivational skill and tactical acumen have produced. That Owen Bradley is a menace and the cause of all DCFC's problems. We need a manager who is strong enough to stand up to the Bradley inquisition. We need a manager ready and willing to call Owen an ostrich. We need Nigel Pearson now, before the menace of local radio destroys another managerial career.

Archived