Wassall's post match interview with Owen Bradley

North_Stand_Ram

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What worries me most about the DW situation is that by not appointing a proper manager now (and before the end of the season) we run the risk of doing the same thing we did with PC - and making the same mistake. That is that we appoint a manager in close season and he doesn't have time to get to know the players and decide on who goes/comes in etc. Exactly what happened last season. Then Sam/Mel deciding on who we buy..a al Pearce etc.

Sith Happens
2 minutes ago, toddy said:

Was it stupidity or plain tactical naivety for Wassal to make those changes?

Wassall thought the game was won, he was already imagining the adulation from the fans at the end.

Sith Happens
7 hours ago, MrsRam said:

Bloke in front of me - was screaming out for a sub - at 90 mins..why didn't we make a sub and kill the game.....by the 92nd minute - we were all screaming for a sub. 

Because he didnt know what to do, i wasnt there and I was shouting for that too, even to break the game up. Should have been obvious they sensed they would get something. Should have had someone getting ready after their 1st goal.

Sith Happens

The 'you tell me' was him trying to get OB on side, to say i am in shock as much as you.

The 'i dont remember' about the shackell incident, having now seen the footage that just makes me realise how much waffle he does come out with. I feel sorry for him, dropped in it by the club and clearly out of his depth.

7 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Wassall thought the game was won, he was already imagining the adulation from the fans at the end.

Its the basics -  you don't change a winning formation unless its forced upon you, if a player needs to come off, its a like for like swap - what you never ever do is take out your midfield.....Stupidity or naivety its one or the other. 

Sith Happens
Just now, toddy said:

Its the basics -  you don't change a winning formation unless its forced upon you, if a player needs to come off, its a like for like swap - what you never ever do is takeout your midfield.....Stupidity or naivety its one or the other. 

Oh i agree - totally, i just think his head was in the clouds basking in the glory of it all. He thought the game was over and won.

46 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

The 'you tell me' was him trying to get OB on side, to say i am in shock as much as you.

The 'i dont remember' about the shackell incident, having now seen the footage that just makes me realise how much waffle he does come out with. I feel sorry for him, dropped in it by the club and clearly out of his depth.

Was it the Radio Derby interview?

As for the substitution, some who were there reported he was going to bring yet another forward in (Weimann). 

If he wasn't stopped by what happened on the pitch, we could have replicated the inverted pyramid 3-2-5 formation.

Don't worry chaps, did you know we were absolutley brilliant yesterday for 82 minutes. I'll repeat that as Mr Wassell did about fifty times in his interview after the game yesterday, we were the best we've been all season for 82,minutes. So that's alright then.

its just a pity DW a football match is normally played over at least 90 minutes. It's come to the point as a life long Rams fan that absolutley nothing surprises me about Derby County anymore. Just when you think things couldn't get much worse, THEY DO.

That's now 14 points from a possible 42 points over 14 games since Boxing Day. Before that we'd managed 43 points from a possible 54 points over the previous 18 games. It's certainly been all down hill since Boxing Day both on & off the pitch.

1 hour ago, Boycie said:

I find all this blaming of Wassall disgusting.  Calling him inept, clueless and out his depth?

He was only doing what he was told to do from the directors box! :lol:

(Not)

That's what Neil Warnock was doing, waving his arms around yesterday - Derby were doing really well for 80 minutes, then he finally saw the strings from Mel's hands up in the Rotherham directors box down to Darren Wassall's limbs, so he started pulling on them himself. Hence the bizarre substitutions.

We can see through him, the players can see through him, the media see through him but he is so lacking in self awareness that he blunders on regardless. He has found his limit dealing with kids - get him back there and leave the first team to a proper manager who can command respect.

I thought it was his best post match interview yet, he was clearly stunned by the last 10 minutes, and didn't come across all under 10's coach for once.

Interesting that Bryson thought that was our best performance for a couple of seasons, until the 80th minute.

33 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

I was there and didn't see Wassall let those 3 goals in so how's it all his fault? How I missed that I don't know. Even with the wrong subs they still shouldn't have let 3 in :angry:

Lets put it this way. You're building a bridge, it's going so well, you're months ahead of schedule. You can see the other side, so close you can nearly touch it. But wait, the site manager comes down. He doesn't think those steel beams need to be there. He takes them out, and uses some fancy new plastic beams to try to finish the other end of the bridge. The bridge starts to crack under the weight, and boom, it's all fallen down.

At the time of Clement's dismissal I was 100% behind that decision.

That was on the assumption that we had someone in mind to replace him. And before the Summer.

If that wasn't the case then I'm not sure what the point of replacing Clement with Wassall was. I favoured swift action re Clement because there was plenty of damage that he could do to our footballing philosophy between then and the end of the season. Unfortunately, swapping out one inexperienced Manager for another is backfiring. Who ever comes in during the Summer is going to have plenty of damage to undo. Results like yesterday just make us look like mugs. Post-match interviews like yesterday's are just an insult to intelligence. As fans we see right through it. What the f**k are the players supposed to think? They can play well for 80 minutes and then the Manager can completely undercut them with stupid substitutions. 

Mel really needs to step up here and take DW out of the firing line. At the moment, it's hard seeing him going back to the U21s. Another defeat or two, particularly against Forest and I fear for his future with the club. He's doing himself no favours, with his tactics, with his decision-making, and with his media comments - for the love of God, there must be more than a few capable Managers who'd be willing to come in for 9 games until the end of the season. 

There were extenuating circumstances when last season's collapse occurred. A raft of injuries to key players at exactly the wrong times. A Manager being distracted at a crucial point in the season. This year, we are just absolutely p1ssing the season away, and we have no one, not even Lady Luck, to blame but ourselves.

Archived