An old man's special day

SEAO

I made a casual remark to my wife just before Christmas that In January of this year it would be 60 years since my Dad took to me to my first game at the Baseball Ground .She asked me about it, who we pIayed etc. but I  never gave it another thought.

At 2;45 p.m last Saturday I was sitting in the players lounge at the Ipro  with butterflies in my stomach. I had just had a couple of pints to “calm me down”but I hadn't been so nervous since I don't know when, and it was all over taking the ball on to the pitch at the home of my favourite club. Shortly after I stood with my son in law Tim at the back of the tunnel as the players of both sides emerged from the dressing rooms and lined up ready to go out and play in front of 29000+ people.

At my wife’s request Tim, who has lots of contacts in the area had managed to organise the surprise early birthday present from the family.  I had been given the match ball by one of the many liason officers from what seems a well organised behind the scenes team, and had it balanced precariously on top of a cardboard box ready to give to the referee in the centre circle."Don't drop it whatever you do" was my only thought as we waited but then Craig Bryson one of Derby's substitutes saw us, came over to say hello, and playfully did his best to dislodge the ball and then disappeared up the tunnel laughing. 

In the distance I heard the voice of the announcer Matt Mcgibbon and the noise of the crowd as the teams left the tunnel, and then as if my magic we were on the touchline waiting for our part to play in the proceedings. The flags were waving, the crowd were cheering and all I could see was a sea of faces. The players ran to their opposite ends and we were called on to the pitch . “Don’t slip over  ” I thought as I walked on . The referee decided to take a warming up run away from me . “Where’s he going now? “, but then he turned and came towards me .

We had been told not to speak to any players or officials so there was no chance of a selfie and the ref must have been told the same because he came over and  took the ball without even a grunt. Typical officials !

Then it was photo time and I posed firstly with the ref and then with Tim , the captains of the teams and the mascots who were all in the same fortunate position as me. I remember turning and waving to where I normally sit, hoping that my usual match day companions had spotted me and realised why my seat was empty.

As we walked off Tim waved to a face he recognised, but I saw no- one until we passed the dugout and Bryson put his hand up . It was over all too quickly but what an experience and one I shall never forget.

Half time was spent in the players’ lounge enjoying sandwiches and delicious soup and then after the game we returned there for a coffee and a chat about the game and our experience. Most of the players and staff came in and joined their families and guests , and a few came over to speak with Tim and Peter Ascott whose company sponsor the match ball.

It was time to go, the traffic had subsided and the lounge started to empty. We said our goodbyes and made our way past the autograph and selfie hunters to the car.

A huge thankyou to my wife Irene for setting the seed, to Tim for organising it , to Tracey, Dawn and Carly  for a fabulous early birthday present, and to Peter Ascott for the tremendous experience I had yesterday. Like many, many people it was a childhood dream to walk on to the pitch in front of the home crowd and for me last Saturday it all came  true .

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Give me 100 of these feelgood stories over 1 from a fan demanding something or criticising something or 1 fan booing anyday.

We need to get back to the days of fans respecting the club.

Nice read and I'm glad you had a good day, you seem like the kind of fan who deserves it.

1 minute ago, Ashz09 said:

On the moan in Ramage Barker and Bradley all said what a top bloke Byrson is. This must confirm it!

Who is Byrson? ;) 

My wife and daughter recorded it  off the radio so I did hear it eventually and it made me laugh- apparently Matt McGibbon announced it as well over the tannoy but I was in such a dream world that I didn't hear a thing.

What a brilliant story. It's lovely to note that the dream of walking out onto the pitch at The Baseball Ground or The iPro is the same for seven or seventy year olds. 

I've also met Craig Bryson a couple of times and he's been brilliant both times. No hint of front or aloofness, just warmth with a little playful humour thrown in.

1 hour ago, StivePesley said:

You will not have heard it on Radio Derby, but Craig Ramage tried to do a dedication to a fan who was celebrating the 60th anniversary of his first game. I assume it was you, but Rammers made a right cods of it - took him about a 3 goes! Hahaha

yes he did....i know Rama and asked him to do it, little did i know he would balls it up :-)

Archived