Your three to go down?

scarboroughwa

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Newcastle and Villa are all but certainties in my mind. I wouldn't count someone having a huge slump above Sunderland and dropping into the discussion but I'll say Norwich for my third at the present time. 

Palace need to look out. They had a great start of the season but not sure what went wrong though. I think Norwich will be joining Villa to Championship. 

Just now, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Palace Swansea????

Fair comment I can see both of them just squeaking by Sunderland must be on their arses after throwing away a win at Southampton the other week in the last minute will be interested to see how Rafa gets on can't be any worse than McClaren surely lol

Ok people say every season that the Championship is going to be even tougher next season as regards to winning promotion. But if Newcastle & Sunderland end up coming down with pretty much an already relegated Aston Villa, then winning promotion next season will definitely be more difficult than in recent years. All three are massive clubs with a very large fan base. Newcastle had an attendance figure of over 52,000 for their last home game. Sunderland regularly get 35 to 40,000. Villa get fairly big crowds, & this is also the first time they have ever been relegated from the Premiership. In fact should all three of these clubs come down they will almost certainly over take our 1st position for the highest average attendances in the Championship. 

In fact I can't remember the last time three teams with such a large fan base were all relegated together from the top division in one season. Ok promotion next season will always still be possible for a good many teams in next years Championship, but it's not difficult to see that promotion next season could be sadly more difficult than ever.

7 minutes ago, TETRA said:

Ok people say every season that the Championship is going to be even tougher next season as regards to winning promotion. But if Newcastle & Sunderland end up coming down with pretty much an already relegated Aston Villa, then winning promotion next season will definitely be more difficult than in recent years. All three are massive clubs with a very large fan base. Newcastle had an attendance figure of over 52,000 for their last home game. Sunderland regularly get 35 to 40,000. Villa get fairly big crowds, & this is also the first time they have ever been relegated from the Premiership. In fact should all three of these clubs come down they will almost certainly over take our 1st position for the highest average attendances in the Championship. 

In fact I can't remember the last time three teams with such a large fan base were all relegated together from the top division in one season. Ok promotion next season will always still be possible for a good many teams in next years Championship, but it's not difficult to see that promotion next season could be sadly more difficult than ever.

why?

BY your logic, Derby and Leeds should be top two right now.

It doesn't work that way and you know it so please stop scare-mongering.

35 minutes ago, TETRA said:

I think a bigger indicator would be the quality of their squads personally.

You have to look at their squads in terms of adaptability to the Championship, it's going to be a completely different challenge than they've had this season. Look at the teams coming down last season. Burnley, Hull, QPR. Those are the order I would list the sides in respect to their likelihood to adapt to the Championship. Burnley didn't splash the cash, they were very much preparing for what is now happening, and look like they could benefit from that. On the other hand QPR were saturated with big name, past their prime players. They're probably doing slightly better than I expected them too, but they've still got a rebuilding job on their hands.

Villa would face the same problem. A lot of individuals who don't know what it means to play for the club. Individually they do have some good players, but as a team they are dreadful. How they rebuild will depend on how they do next season, not how many people are sitting in their stadium.

1 hour ago, TETRA said:

That would make us underdogs, a position we find much more comfortable than being among the favorites.

1 hour ago, TETRA said:

Bournemouth won The Championship with a 12,000 ground and apparently struggle with selling home tickets to fans from other teams so as with ourselves and Leeds among others support isn't everything. It's about financial backing and players fit for a championship campaign.

Archived