Starting to think Wassall is the man for us .

Curtains

15 minutes ago, curtains said:

Let's not pull the wool over our eyes right lol 

Don't start that again!

Love them highlights apart from I got arrested for running in and hugging Christie after the equaliser!

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will get hammered but waited and we've won two so at least can't be said I'm  just knee-jerk.  Good luck to Wassall but I just don't think it's good enough for him to get the job when he is totally under-qualified, under-experienced and frankly if it had gone to interview ...the weakest candidate except he already works here. Even if it we get promoted I'd want someone else to get the job. Fair enough, he's a better cheerleader than PC. Big deal. Game is littered with managers 'stepping-up' who the players like who just don't cut the mustard. 

It's early days, but so far Wassall has offered more evidence that he isn't the man for the future  than he has suggesting he is the right person.

That's not to say I would start the process of appointing someone else right now, but he needs to turn a couple of scrappy wins against weak teams into fluidity and a quality to match or better top 6 teams before being seriously in contention.

To achieve this he needs to settle on the right team and develop an attractive pattern of play. 

I wonder how Derby fans now define negative? We currently have 44 goals, which is higher than 16 out of the 24 clubs, and just 6 behind the total achieved when NC was last in charge for a full season.  Earlier in the season the theme was that our attacking intent had to be sacfriced to a certain degree to combat the constant flow of goals that we conceded in the second part of last season, so its not surprising we advocated a more defensive approach, but the goals scored compared to other teams certainly does not conform to the negative brand of football that has suddenly been accepted that we used to play.

54 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

I wonder how Derby fans now define negative? We currently have 44 goals, which is higher than 16 out of the 24 clubs, and just 6 behind the total achieved when NC was last in charge for a full season.  Earlier in the season the theme was that our attacking intent had to be sacfriced to a certain degree to combat the constant flow of goals that we conceded in the second part of last season, so its not surprising we advocated a more defensive approach, but the goals scored compared to other teams certainly does not conform to the negative brand of football that has suddenly been accepted that we used to play.

Silly subversive argument. The definition of negative football is whatever Chairman Mel says it is - got it!

10 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

Why do people keep insisting that managers who have failed multiple times in other jobs are better than Wassall? 

I wouldn't put retread tyres on my car.... 

I like analogies...but don't think this one works! I'd argue if you owned a tyrefitters, and the tyrefitter was a bit slow...you'd warn him...then give him some notice and in the meantime you'd advertise for someone else hopefully with lots of experience who for whatever reason wanted a new tyrefitting job. You don't give the job to the receptionist because she knows how to lock up and order the tyres...

1 minute ago, Chester40 said:

I like analogies...but don't think this one works! I'd argue if you owned a tyrefitters, and the tyrefitter was a bit slow...you'd warn him...then give him some notice and in the meantime you'd advertise for someone else hopefully with lots of experience who for whatever reason wanted a new tyrefitting job. You don't give the job to the receptionist because she knows how to lock up and order the tyres...

No, but she's been fitting tyres to micro cars for 7 years with success!

If you're gonna correct analogies, be consistent. 

I think the initial analogy was flawed, whereas mine was deliberately slanted to fit my own agenda☺

Tbf my point is I don't really care how soon it is...he shouldn't have the job. If he wants a top job he could have gone for a manager's job further down the league and really earned it. There are lots of other people with more and better experience, skills and qualifications. 

12 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

This is not something that I am just saying with hindsight, I have been saying all season that I didn't think everything seemed right.

You seem unable to distinguish between league position and quality of football.

Man United have been in Champions League places for most of the season, so I assume all of their fans are happy with LvG using your logic?

I can distinguish the difference no bother I just don't happen to agree with your assertion that we've been rubbish all year.  I reckon that's just whiny, self-entitled bilge to be honest but as per your comment, it's only my opinion :)

2 minutes ago, 86 points said:

I can distinguish the difference no bother I just don't happen to agree with your assertion that we've been rubbish all year.  I reckon that's just whiny, self-entitled bilge to be honest but as per your comment, it's only my opinion :)

I didn't say all year, just the majority.

Birmingham away and Wolves and Brentford at home are the only games where I thought the attacking football was good.

Hull was a great away performance where I can accept the way we played.

Other than that I struggle to remember anything decent...fire away if you can enlighten me...

4 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

It's an interesting point when you put it that way but to be in or around the play offs surely you would expect us to be higher than 8th too scorers (or if not to have an excellent defensive record).

Also worth pointing out that 20% of our goals came in 2 games though.

5 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I didn't say all year, just the majority.

Birmingham away and Wolves and Brentford at home are the only games where I thought the attacking football was good.

Hull was a great away performance where I can accept the way we played.

Other than that I struggle to remember anything decent...fire away if you can enlighten me...

Beating Cardiff at home, Rotherham, Bristol city 4-0 (was there not enough goals for you?), Huddersfield away just off the top of my head were all good displays.  I suppose it depends what you mean by attacking though, do you believe that the last two home games have been decent and better than what we have been use to, or are you comparing us against the Mclaren days?

15 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Beating Cardiff at home, Rotherham, Bristol city 4-0 (was there not enough goals for you?), Huddersfield away just off the top of my head were all good displays.  I suppose it depends what you mean by attacking though, do you believe that the last two home games have been decent and better than what we have been use to, or are you comparing us against the Mclaren days?

I didn't see either of the Cardiff or Rotherham matches as I was away so I suppose I may have missed a couple of good ones there.

Thought we were pretty average against Bristol and but for a poor goalkeeping display may have only scraped a victory. Huddersfield away was not much better.

Compared to McClaren era we are light years behind. He would never have had all 11 players in their own area defending a corner!

I thought the first half on Wednesday was a huge step back in the right direction but judging by the second half display not sure if it was a one off or something that will continue.

Got to agree on the Johnson left wing issue,, it's a tough one as he is our record signing but doesn't quite sit naturaly in our 433 formation? Maybe better in this position?

Carson

christy.        Keogh.                    Shackel.     Olson

.          Butters.               Thorne.       Johnson

.        ( Ince/ Blackman.).  Martin.       ( Camara/ russell)

means he is fighting for his place with hendrick and Bryson,, never mind when will is back ,,, to be fair we really do have a lot of options , if a coach / manager gets it right with us we will be very very strong at this level

I just wonde whether we'll end up cutting our losses on Johnson, unless we appoint a manager who wants to play 4-4-2 with Johnson on the left.

If 4-3-3 continues to be The Derby Way, then our best balanced midfield is:

Hendrick/Bryson     Thorne/Hanson.    Hughes/Butterfield

On 25 February 2016 at 15:53, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Whether its this thread or others it matters not.  This constant bickering and over analysing, going forever over & over, round & round is getting soooo tedious. Not really sure why I bother with this anymore. Debating? maybe but for me the enjoyable camaraderie of discussing Derby County with fellow fans has been replaced by seemingly always trying to defend the club or its players from so called fellow "fans" who quite honestly I haven't got the time of day for. I'm not suggesting for a minute I will be missed but quite honestly I can't be bothered anymore so......................................... I'm out! :(

Why quote someone who's jacked the forum you might wonder, well I'm hoping TSP's having a sly look without logging in.

Well Scarlet, I'm of the same opinion as you, I've actually felt this since around the time old Mel gave the forum a plug on the radio. Obviously there have been some welcome additions to the place but equally, it seems to have attracted some moaning Minnie's that were unaware of this forum and along they came bringing their glass half empty view of things making the place less fun than it's been in the past.

So, I hope you will reconsider your decision and get back on here, stick the twot's on ignore (and hope they are not quoted as often as one I've got on ignore) and marvel at my wonderful insight and wisdom. :thumbsup: 

58 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I didn't see either of the Cardiff or Rotherham matches as I was away so I suppose I may have missed a couple of good ones there.

Thought we were pretty average against Bristol and but for a poor goalkeeping display may have only scraped a victory. Huddersfield away was not much better.

Compared to McClaren era we are light years behind. He would never have had all 11 players in their own area defending a corner!

I thought the first half on Wednesday was a huge step back in the right direction but judging by the second half display not sure if it was a one off or something that will continue.

No you didn't.

Archived