Global Warming

AmericanRam

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Joe. said:

I realise you created this thread so you could engage in an argument, but if you need to have information to prove the existence of global warming, you would also need to present information to disprove the theory.

It was @AmericanRam that started this thread.

4 minutes ago, Joe. said:

I reisonithatnenoss sadtyou create s this thread so you could engage in an argument, but if iyou need to have information to prove the existence of global warming, you would also need to present information to disprove the theory.

I didn't start the thread and It's sad that people think that because people ask for proof, blind followers see this as trying to start an argument.

Also, no, the burden of proof Is on the party making the claim, otherwise you can prove to me that godzilla, unicorns, the loch ness monster, fairies, santa, the flying spaghetti monster, and frankenstein do not exist

I am not claiming that global warming does not exist, I am asking what proof you base your assertion on. 

Do you have It? You see, I am merely seeking Information, not saying It doesn't exist.

5 minutes ago, scarboroughwa said:

I didn't start the thread and It's sad that people think that because people ask for proof, blind followers see this as trying to start an argument.

Also, no, the burden of proof Is on the party making the claim, otherwise you can prove to me that godzilla, unicorns, the loch ness monster, fairies, santa, the flying spaghetti monster, and frankenstein do not exist

I am not claiming that global warming does not exist, I am asking what proof you base your assertion on. 

Do you have It? You see, I am merely seeking Information, not saying It doesn't exist.

Apparently there are 24,210 peer reviewed journals from almost 70,000 authors out there supporting the claim.

I'm guessing theirs some evidence throughout that. Then again, with all due respect, would you fully understand all the evidence? I wouldnt, but I dont know how well versed you are in this subject. 

I totally agree that the burden of proof is on the party making the claim, but you sort of sound like an evolution denier.

IT'S ONLY A THEORY, IT'S NOT PROVEN.

28 minutes ago, EastKentRam said:

Apparently there are 24,210 peer reviewed journals from almost 70,000 authors out there supporting the claim.

I'm guessing theirs some evidence throughout that. Then again, with all due respect, would you fully understand all the evidence? I wouldnt, but I dont know how well versed you are in this subject. 

I totally agree that the burden of proof is on the party making the claim, but you sort of sound like an evolution denier.

IT'S ONLY A THEORY, IT'S NOT PROVEN.

You obviously haven't read over the last couple of pages that commenced this particular discourse (and I don't blame you).

And no, I'm not and evolution denier. The same as I am not a climate change denier.

I've very little doubt that global warm is real and largely created by humans as a result of burning fossil fuels.  The science regarding the climatic effect of adding GHG to the atmosphere is quite straightforward, there really is no need for all this confusion.  The undeniable fact that there can and always has been other factors that effect the climate one way or another over long periods of time is quite beside the point when we already know what are doing now is definitely going to result in significant warming.  However seeing as this doesn't seem to convince the skeptics, how about another way of looking at it.

What potential mistake do we want to risk making as a species.  

Mistake no.1:  We respond to the increase in temperatures, by changing our sources of energy, switching from fossil fuels to renewables with electrified transport. It turns out to be unnecessary as the global warming was not produced by humans and temperatures stabilize.  We are left with sustainable energy (some with their own problems) and better air quality.

Mistake no.2:  We are unconvinced that our actions have any bearing on global warming and we continue undeterred to source and burn ever more fossil fuels. It turns out that these do effect the climate and the temperature rises unchecked, and because of the time lag between emissions and climate we are locked into an extended period of warming and ice-cap melting.

Even if i were still 'on the fence' about the reality of global warming...i think that mistake no.1 seems to be the more palatable option.

4 hours ago, scarboroughwa said:

I'm basing my opinion on the many thousands of data collections and studies that have been carried out - and the vast, vast majority all come to the same conclusion, Climate change is happening & human activity. Which is why the scientific community agrees to 95% certainty that human activity is a contributor to global warming. 

Hence why the burden of proof would now be to disprove this theory as it is accepted as correct to the best of the knowledge we have at the moment. which is why your comparison to the flying spaghetti monster is irrelevant as there is not a 95% certainty that it does exist.

There are so many different aspects to this debate, the main question is are humans affecting climate change, and the answer is YES.

It would be foolish to deny the burning of fossil fuels don't have some effect on climate change, but, the way it is reported by our media, as the main reason for global warming/climate change is very misleading, designed to create fear.

We first had global warming, promoted by people like Al Gore, who coincidentally is due to become the first person to make a billion from climate change, and when scientists disproved this theory and stated we were going into a period of global cooling, they changed their horror story and re named it climate change to cover all angles.

This guy says it all and is probably closer to the truth than most. ( warning some bad language in clip ). 

I love George Carlin...didn't he just basically say the planet is fine but it's just humanity is fooked.  That's hardly much of consolation for us.  He is right though, it's not the planet that needs saving, just us.  I disagree with him to a large degree on endangered species.

http://www.ipcc.ch/pdf/assessment-report/ar5/wg1/WG1AR5_Chapter08_FINAL.pdf

If you've got a spare couple of hours this should answer any questions @scarboroughwa. This was just the chapter on Anthropogenic Forcing as well! The entire report was well over 1000 pages long.

18 minutes ago, Highgate said:

I love George Carlin...didn't he just basically say the planet is fine but it's just humanity is fooked.  That's hardly much of consolation for us.  He is right though, it's not the planet that needs saving, just us.  I disagree with him to a large degree on endangered species.

Humanity on the whole is screwed. I doubt Climate Change would wipe out the entire human race, but it would certainly reduce our numbers by at least millions, perhaps billions. Nature will find a way to profit from it, it's what nature does best.

• 1 month later...

Well, here's a little titbit from the Daily Star, dated September 2015, basically saying -

"ARCTIC WEATHER ALERT: UK set for MONTHS of snow in coldest winter for HALF A CENTURY

THE most brutal winter in 50 years could bring the country to a standstill with months of heavy snow and bitter arctic winds."

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/464488/Winter-freezeout-UK-months-of-snow-coldest-winter-50-years

When does it start?

There is no doubt the climate is changing and no doubt that part of it is down to human activity.  The doom mangers exaggerate and also make evidence fit their particular pet theory to provide evidence for whatever it is they want us to do or not do. That doesn't alter the fact that it would be wise to make an effort to limit whatever ill effects we are creating. 

My gripe is with the means we use to do this .. "Carbon neutral shopping" oh for heavens sake ! And trading Co2 allowances.  and thinking we can have an electricity grid that works reliably on wind turbines. .. Barking mad.  I don't have the answers and I don't think anyone else does but the amount of rubbish jargon created by the so called green industry is dire, misleading and insulting. 

3 hours ago, Phoenix said:

Well, here's a little titbit from the Daily Star, dated September 2015, basically saying -

"ARCTIC WEATHER ALERT: UK set for MONTHS of snow in coldest winter for HALF A CENTURY

THE most brutal winter in 50 years could bring the country to a standstill with months of heavy snow and bitter arctic winds."

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/464488/Winter-freezeout-UK-months-of-snow-coldest-winter-50-years

When does it start?

Every winter. In the papers.

3 hours ago, Phoenix said:

When does it start?

Well it snowed today?

• 1 month later...

http://www.sciencealert.com/may-was-the-hottest-month-on-earth-since-records-began-says-nasa

Our climate is changing, and quickly: NASA says May 2016 was the hottest month on the planet since we started keeping records, with the Arctic in particular seeing temperatures way above what might normally be expected.

"Abnormal is the new normal," said David Carlson from the World Climate Research Programme, which helped collate the data.

Alaska had its warmest spring on record by a "wide margin", the statistics show, while temperatures in Finland during May were 3-5°C higher than they usually are at this time of year. All told, the all-time record for a May temperature was broken in 20 observation stations across the world.

There's more: Australia has just had its warmest autumn on record (1.86°C above average), and a new low was logged in terms of snow and ice cover in the Arctic, with a mere 12 million square kilometres (4.63 million square miles) averaged over the month. That's almost 1.4 million square kilometres (537,000 square miles) below the long-term average measured from 1981 to 2010.

You can check out NASA's data for yourself, but it makes for troubling reading for those worried about the impact of climate change on our planet. In other words, those government treaties to try and combat the problem can't be put in place soon enough.

"The state of the climate so far this year gives us much cause for alarm," said Carlson, pointing out that the especially warm El Niño phase of weather is only partly to blame. "The rapid changes in the Arctic are of particular concern. What happens in the Arctic affects the rest of the globe. The question is will the rate of change continue? Will it accelerate? We are in uncharted territory."

Perhaps the only consolation is that scientists are always improving the quality of the data and the instruments they use to measure the world's weather – and the better we can understand it, the better we can recognise the harm human activity causes.

Meteorologists say increased carbon dioxide concentration in the atmosphere, caused by human emissions, has been made worse this year by the 2016 El Niño.

"Since human emissions are now 25 percent greater than in the last big El Niño in 1997/98, this all adds up to a record CO2 rise this year," said Richard Betts from the University of Exeter in the UK.

A paper written by Betts and colleagues at the Met Office in the UK has now been published in the journal Nature Climate Change.

Oh, and April 2016 was the hottest April on record too, in case you were wondering. From the looks of it, 2016 is on course to be the hottest year we've seen since we started measuring temperatures properly in the 1950s, and by quite some distance.

Archived