The world famous Baseball Ground

North East Ram

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few random memories of the BBG:

The cup quarter-final against Plymouth when we conceded straight from a corner and all went home wondering whether this would be the last time we would ever see our team play.

A home game against Newport County where we went 3 - 0 down, the moaning was at present day levels but the Popside and a few of us in the Norm end kept cheering the lads on and we pulled it back to 3 - 3.

A 7 - 1 victory over Lincoln City.

Don't ask me for dates, they are all lost in the mists of time and I can't be ar$ed to google them.

13 hours ago, philmycock said:

Imagine never having experienced the good old BBG, poor little mites

After we had already moved to PP, I went to watch a young Mickleover Jubilee side (I was in the jubilee team two years above) play at the bbg in a cup final, only time I went. Attendance of about 50, grass growing out of the seats, intense atmosphere. A young lad with bleach blonde hair playing up front, his name.... William Hughes #claimtofame 

Loads of brilliant memories of the BBG and not all just about what happened on the pitch. 

Queuing for burgers at the back of the popside and as the bloke serving put the last one on the counter, ask for one more and as his back was turned we vanished with all the others.

Seeing coppers walking about with ketchup and mustard stripes up the back of their coats after they have walked past the burger bars.

Being skint and cutting through Brassy smiths, over the railway lines, through Leys and over the wall into the back of the popside.

One season the club decided to do away with season ticket books and issued cards instead. Not the fancy fandangled cards that you scan like today, but one that you showed to the bloke on the turnstyle as you went through. We had one between about 10 of us that we passed back through the popside gate so we could all get in.

My mates dad was the commissionaire that used to stand on the gate to the Ley stand and he used to let us in for a couple of pence or free if he was in a good mood.

We also had a mate that worked on the gate for the Hector suite who would let us in for nowt now and again and give us a pass to the players lounge so we could have a pint with the players that weren't being used at half time and the other players after the game.

4 minutes ago, ossieram said:

Loads of brilliant memories of the BBG and not all just about what happened on the pitch. 

Queuing for burgers at the back of the popside and as the bloke serving put the last one on the counter, ask for one more and as his back was turned we vanished with all the others.

Seeing coppers walking about with ketchup and mustard stripes up the back of their coats after they have walked past the burger bars.

Being skint and cutting through Brassy smiths, over the railway lines, through Leys and over the wall into the back of the popside.

One season the club decided to do away with season ticket books and issued cards instead. Not the fancy fandangled cards that you scan like today, but one that you showed to the bloke on the turnstyle as you went through. We had one between about 10 of us that we passed back through the popside gate so we could all get in.

My mates dad was the commissionaire that used to stand on the gate to the Ley stand and he used to let us in for a couple of pence or free if he was in a good mood.

We also had a mate that worked on the gate for the Hector suite who would let us in for nowt now and again and give us a pass to the players lounge so we could have a pint with the players that weren't being used at half time and the other players after the game.

No wonder Derby were skint ?

Love the commitment of breaking into 2 factories and cutting across the main line to get into the BBG though! 

4 minutes ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

No wonder Derby were skint ?

Love the commitment of breaking into 2 factories and cutting across the main line to get into the BBG though! 

Brassy Smiths had a big gate that opened out onto the bottom of Elton Rd and you could get through there and Leys with having to go inside the foundries. And the club made their money back by fiddling the gate figures. I work on the turn styles for one season and we used to write down the number on the counter as we opened the turn style and then again when we closed them and then hand the figure in at the office as we gave the keys back. They would write the number on a whiteboard and I would always have a look to see how many had come through my gate, it had always been altered by the time we got there for the next game.

9 minutes ago, ossieram said:

Brassy Smiths had a big gate that opened out onto the bottom of Elton Rd and you could get through there and Leys with having to go inside the foundries. And the club made their money back by fiddling the gate figures. I work on the turn styles for one season and we used to write down the number on the counter as we opened the turn style and then again when we closed them and then hand the figure in at the office as we gave the keys back. They would write the number on a whiteboard and I would always have a look to see how many had come through my gate, it had always been altered by the time we got there for the next game.

As a kid I used to try and guess the attendance based on how packed the popside was. Amazing how many times it was absolutely heaving and they'd say there was 16k or similar. 

Mind you, I bet at your turnstile it said that only people turned up! ?

39 minutes ago, ossieram said:

I used to go in the Hector Suite (I think it was called the Sportsmans Club when Zak was still playing) quite often. Basically I was on the supporters club steering committee and used to have regular meetings with Ernie Hallam and a few others in the Players Lounge, then up to the Sportsmans Club for a couple of jars before it got too packed.

If we were on Match of the Day, Motty or one of the other commentators would sometimes be up there and be willing to chat - a couple of times I saw one of them with loads of photographs of players and he would turn them over, reciting the names etc.

24 minutes ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

As a kid I used to try and guess the attendance based on how packed the popside was. Amazing how many times it was absolutely heaving and they'd say there was 16k or similar. 

Mind you, I bet at your turnstile it said that only people turned up! ?

Ossie - not sure why my posts keep appearing with a ? at the end instead a smile emoji. Looks like I'm questioning you all the time, which I'm not. They're funny stories. 

Has to be this one only because finished my part time job to rush to the ground, squeeze past dodgy old feckers in the back of Normanton end that piss down the stand rather than try and make the toilets, **** view but incredible atmosphere. How did our equally **** team beat the mighty forest.

Remember was buzzing for days after it 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eyh2PS9Ca0E

10 hours ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

Cool as custard. 21k in the BBG on a Friday night to seal promotion and escape Div3. Only the very top few teams hit over 20k back then. 

The most dubious peno ever and you know what, when you watch that peno, Trevor Christie really was the calmest man ever. Or just cool as custard.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NuTgx6ZxzFw

I remember that game. What made the 'cool as custard ' penalty all the more remarkable, was that we'd been given penalties in most games leading up to this match and missing most of them. I'm sure I remember in one game we had 2 penalties in the last couple of minutes, scoring only one. 

I think the ref thought 'you cheating gits, I'll make sure you get punished! '

10 minutes ago, ram59 said:

I remember that game. What made the 'cool as custard ' penalty all the more remarkable, was that we'd been given penalties in most games leading up to this match and missing most of them. I'm sure I remember in one game we had 2 penalties in the last couple of minutes, scoring only one. 

I think the ref thought 'you cheating gits, I'll make sure you get punished! '

Bobby was clean through and got cynically brought down, resulting in the free kick before the peno. Bobby actually chucked the biggest mud pie in the defenders face in retaliation. 

Wasnt Norman Hunter or one of the other Leeds nazis their manager? I bet he instructed his players to stitch us up. Ref was having none of it.

5 hours ago, Eatonram said:

Fav game Rams 4 - 2 Newcastle. FA Cup quarter final 1976. we were awesome that day and all 4 goals really special. Plus I can see meself on terraces behind the goal in Normanton End!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExHQcAvlJJU 

One of my favourites, too. :) What a shot Bruce Rioch had on him.

When I first attended matches at the BBG we stood in the away section of The Popside, not sure why! I remember one match against Man Utd where my feet hardly touched the floor all match - we were packed in so tight.

We didn’t usually encounter much aggression but I did get punched in the side of the head once by an Everton fan, who immediately apologised to me explaining that he meant to hit his mate, who ducked at the last minute. 

In the 80s with all the violence we moved to safer territory in the Ossie lower tier. I didn't like it much in there and dreaded the fans turning on the referee - they used to stamp on the floor and I  always expected the fans on the upper tier to come through.

I still prefer to stand at matches and only get to do that at away games these days (and even then I am glad of a sit-down at half time! )

14 minutes ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

Bobby was clean through and got cynically brought down, resulting in the free kick before the peno. Bobby actually chucked the biggest mud pie in the defenders face in retaliation. 

Wasnt Norman Hunter or one of the other Leeds nazis their manager? I bet he instructed his players to stitch us up. Ref was having none of it.

Yes, Norman Hunter was their manager at the time.

1 hour ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

Ossie - not sure why my posts keep appearing with a ? at the end instead a smile emoji. Looks like I'm questioning you all the time, which I'm not. They're funny stories. 

Makes you look like Alan Hinton on Twitter? Go and have a look if you don't know what I mean?

When Derby played Forest in the cup I went drinking before the game with some of my Forest mates and being a competitive bugger drank them under the table .

One of them a work mate I had know for years brought along his twin brother who previously was completely unknown to me and also my best mate a Derby fan who turned up late missing the drinking.

This said mate turns up just as kick off takes place, I'm pissed out of my head and he manages to find me in the middle of the popside mainly because of my drunken antics.

As we all know we beat the dogs 2-1 ,me and mate leave the ground to meet up with the Forest mates .My mate runs up to who he thought was our mate going how about that then you tosser only to be doing it to his twin brother would thought he was being attacked by some mad Derby fan and gives him a slap.

Needless to say although mates it get a bit hairy and it took a couple of days before normal relations were resumed.

2 hours ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

That happened to me when i posted off my windows phone , maybe @Daveo will look into it , sometime..

35 minutes ago, Tombo said:

Makes you look like Alan Hinton on Twitter? Go and have a look if you don't know what I mean?

I type like Alan Hinton. Who played in BPL? Times 2 winner. You say? 

He has Hinton's hammer, so don't mess!

Twitter is ever increasingly full of naughty little rude boys so Al's enthusiasm is a welcome respite. 

Archived