The world famous Baseball Ground

North East Ram

3 hours ago, ossieram said:

Loads of brilliant memories of the BBG and not all just about what happened on the pitch. 

Queuing for burgers at the back of the popside and as the bloke serving put the last one on the counter, ask for one more and as his back was turned we vanished with all the others.

Seeing coppers walking about with ketchup and mustard stripes up the back of their coats after they have walked past the burger bars.

Being skint and cutting through Brassy smiths, over the railway lines, through Leys and over the wall into the back of the popside.

One season the club decided to do away with season ticket books and issued cards instead. Not the fancy fandangled cards that you scan like today, but one that you showed to the bloke on the turnstyle as you went through. We had one between about 10 of us that we passed back through the popside gate so we could all get in.

My mates dad was the commissionaire that used to stand on the gate to the Ley stand and he used to let us in for a couple of pence or free if he was in a good mood.

We also had a mate that worked on the gate for the Hector suite who would let us in for nowt now and again and give us a pass to the players lounge so we could have a pint with the players that weren't being used at half time and the other players after the game.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, ptt1 said:

I always remember the kids crawling thru the turnstiles on their hands and knees. Found my old season ticket books the other day sent a piccie to my mate. Sorry can't get it to post on here.

When I worked on the away turnstiles I always looked out for them trying to crawl under. I managed to trap an Everton fan by slamming the sliding door into his midriff and got a Man utd fan in the head.

Random BBG memory #3512

walking back from the match and stalking someone with a radio, step for step, praying he's going your way so you can listen to the other results. Tough work when we were on Div3, as that's a lot results for James Alexander Gorfon to get through before our rivals are read out.

4-45 - RD Sportscene Summary with Colin Gibson.

5-00 - THAT music da da, da da, da da, da da, da da da da, da daaaaaaa

5-03 - bloke with radio gets in his car. Damn.

5-04 - he asks you to get out...

2 hours ago, Zag zig said:

Has to be this one only because finished my part time job to rush to the ground, squeeze past dodgy old feckers in the back of Normanton end that piss down the stand rather than try and make the toilets, **** view but incredible atmosphere. How did our equally **** team beat the mighty forest.

Remember was buzzing for days after it 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eyh2PS9Ca0E

Arrgh, the smell of piss. Brings it all flooding back. What good times they were!

The bogs didn't smell much better either. 

6 hours ago, OohMartWright said:

A few random memories of the BBG:

The cup quarter-final against Plymouth when we conceded straight from a corner and all went home wondering whether this would be the last time we would ever see our team play.

A home game against Newport County where we went 3 - 0 down, the moaning was at present day levels but the Popside and a few of us in the Norm end kept cheering the lads on and we pulled it back to 3 - 3.

A 7 - 1 victory over Lincoln City.

Don't ask me for dates, they are all lost in the mists of time and I can't be ar$ed to google them.

I was at that one stood on the popside with 2 bags of Christmas shopping and set light to the program to keep warm!

Andy garner got the equaliser I think and we all went mental. 

I shouted over to the nearest fan what a great comeback that was.

For all our crowd statto freaks, attendance was about 10k.

Turning the corner of cambridge street and seeing the high stands of the ossie end and the floodlights got the feeling going it was the same as turning onto wembley way and seeing the twin towers, special. Hard to describe but it lifts you. Then  going through the turnstiles and walking round the corner into the popside and getting that first view of the pitch and inside the ground, magical. The singing would start an hour before the game.

As the late great Peter Taylor once said the baseball ground had the best atmosphere of any ground he had been to. It was amazing and i was lucky enough to have experienced it and made me love DCFC. A big reason why Derby is a football city.

For me one of the best moments was post match against Rotherham. The Popside was heaving as the players were doing their lap of honour, and when they got round to us we broke into "We are Derby", everybody with their scarf above their head singing at the top our voices. It brought goosebumps to places I never knew you could get goosebumps. Absolutely incredible and unfortunately irrepeatable, not because I don't think that we can reproduce a similar result but because the atmousphere in the BBG was so special.

1 hour ago, hiltonram said:

Turning the corner of cambridge street and seeing the high stands of the ossie end and the floodlights got the feeling going it was the same as turning onto wembley way and seeing the twin towers, special. Hard to describe but it lifts you. Then  going through the turnstiles and walking round the corner into the popside and getting that first view of the pitch and inside the ground, magical. The singing would start an hour before the game.

As the late great Peter Taylor once said the baseball ground had the best atmosphere of any ground he had been to. It was amazing and i was lucky enough to have experienced it and made me love DCFC. A big reason why Derby is a football city.

What was the street that the away fans used to walk down? My old man and his mate used to bring us nippers out with all the away lads because he parked in the Royce's car park where the away coaches turned up. He cut through the Ossie end and walk down with them all to save time.

Probably why I had no fear of away fans, remember that little ruddy corrugated jitty, used to all bottleneck there and he have to listen to them moaning whilst being squashed to buggery. Found it ruddy exciting as a nipper though.

2 hours ago, hiltonram said:

Even better at a night match. Seeing the floodlights, the Osmaston Stand and getting a genuine buzz for the game. And it was always a Wednesday until demonic Billy changed it to Tuesdays nights. 

I seem to remember one incident involving John Gregory when he was a player for us. He got fouled right on the touchline just in front of the dugout. Both players ended up on the floor and Gregory grabbed the trainers water bucket and tipped the contents over the other player! Gregory got a yellow card for his actions. 

1 minute ago, RiddingsRam said:

Excuse my ignorance but what was the stand called that's now the north stand at pride park ? 

That would probably be the Normanton End. The boys corner was there next to the main stand and they had the key club for a while.

2 minutes ago, ossieram said:

That would probably be the Normanton End. The boys corner was there next to the main stand and they had the key club for a while.

Did the away fans used to sit below the home fans in that stand ? I'm sure I recall Newcastle fans ripping seats off and throwing them into the pitch beneath me  , pretty daunting I was only very young at the time !

4 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

Did the away fans used to sit below the home fans in that stand ? I'm sure I recall Newcastle fans ripping seats off and throwing them into the pitch beneath me  , pretty daunting I was only very young at the time !

No. That was the Ossie end.

Archived