The world famous Baseball Ground

North East Ram

Just looking at the Graham Richards video / commentary clips and no doubt some effing amazing memories. Keep the video going for some great games:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLC93FED1145C1ED1F&v=i-iAInAOO6c

So what was your favourite BBG game? 

Too many too choose one for me but love the that Leeds 96 game as Richards and the crowd noise really convey the BBG and being 2 down to 2-2 in 30 seconds was unbelievable. For the younger fans (no patronising intended) Simmo, Mclarens No2, was some player. Then there's games v Shef Wed, Rotherham, Palace...... Never mind the lucky so and so's who saw Real Madrid, Benfica (with Eusebio) etc get a good lesson in BBG intimidation.

Far too many great days and nights to choose one.

For those not lucky enough to go, what do you think about the BBG? Does it look and sound good? Or are you wondering what all the fuss was about?

Just share your memories, thoughts, videos - anything! Hard to believe it was almost 20 years ago.

IMO, PP had come close to the BBG about 3 times in 20 years.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPZnXgKl70I

This got a 7 year old hooked on Derby County

'Dad, e's ittin im'

'Dad, they're doin it again'

'C-stand...C-stand...'

'Come on Derby, Come on Derby...Yes, Yes, Yes' we've won 3 - 2. That was louder than thunder Dad'

How couldn't you be hooked for life after that. Amazing!

I went 4 times as a kid in its last season, and can only remember silly things, I can remember running up the wooden steps, then went to Pride Park the season after and couldn't wait to run up the wooden steps... I was left disappointed lol

I don't remember the atmosphere being a 4/5 year old but the way the oldens talk about it I wish I was old enough to appreciate it more :( my dad had fond memories of it.. us not old enough to remember it or appreciate it get the "soulless bowl" though :huh:

I've always wanted to. The old man gives loads of stories of crowd surfing electric atmosphere etc. I went once but cant remember it :-( I went to Filbert Street when Strupar and Christie scored I think. That was brilliant will never forget that you was under the pitch kind of thing which was strange and the player ran upto us and as a young kid we could 'Touch' them. The feeling I got was brilliant.

Not many of them ground left though!

Blooming heck!................where do you start on this one.

For me it's the 20th September 1969.

Just started my first job, got a few ten bob notes (that's 50p for you young uns) in my back pocket and decided to go up to Newcastle who had just won the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup (just google it).  Roy McFarland screamer at the Gallowgate End, 1-0 win, air conditioned coach thanks to a couple of half bricks and my team, yes my team, Derby County were top of the league.  Next up, Mackay v Tottenham!

Jennings, Knowles, England, Mullery, Gilzean and Jimmy Greaves up against their old mate Mackay.  41,000 crowd, incredible atmosphere, stuck five past Jennings, "we've got the best team in the land" bellowing out from the Popside and the dream was on!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p0po81oCwrU

Anyway, went on to win only one of our next seven matches, unbeaten in our last twelve games of the season and the rest as they say is history, even in those days you never gave up believing because it's Derby County Football Club...........and nothing's changed in 46 years!

My 1st game was the 5-0 against Arsenal, Nov '72, aged 7. Sat in the Normo end, we scored 4 in the 1st half and the crowd just seemed to suck the ball into the net ! I was hooked.

But my greatest memories of the old place has to be either Rotherham in '86 or Plymouth the year after for the sheer outpouring of joy from the fans after the previous ten years of failure and mis-management.

It's hard to explain to my son just how different the atmosphere was compared to Pride Park. Even with only 13000 in, it was noisier than it's ever been since 1997.   

My favourite moment was the day sleepy Derby stirred for the first time in my lifetime - a 3-1 win over Chelsea in the league cup.

Nearly half a century later, it is the reason I still love cup games against 'bigger' clubs - and it is still the loudest crowd I have ever heard.

5 minutes ago, Monkeytennis12345 said:

My 1st game was the 5-0 against Arsenal, Nov '72, aged 7. Sat in the Normo end, we scored 4 in the 1st half and the crowd just seemed to suck the ball into the net ! I was hooked.

But my greatest memories of the old place has to be either Rotherham in '86 or Plymouth the year after for the sheer outpouring of joy from the fans after the previous ten years of failure and mis-management.

It's hard to explain to my son just how different the atmosphere was compared to Pride Park. Even with only 13000 in, it was noisier than it's ever been since 1997.   

Cool as custard. 21k in the BBG on a Friday night to seal promotion and escape Div3. Only the very top few teams hit over 20k back then. 

The most dubious peno ever and you know what, when you watch that peno, Trevor Christie really was the calmest man ever. Or just cool as custard.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NuTgx6ZxzFw

22 minutes ago, eddie said:

My favourite moment was the day sleepy Derby stirred for the first time in my lifetime - a 3-1 win over Chelsea in the league cup.

Nearly half a century later, it is the reason I still love cup games against 'bigger' clubs - and it is still the loudest crowd I have ever heard.

The midweek cup matches under the floodlights used to be something else.

In terms of atmosphere Sheffield Wednesday in the FA cup quarter final stands out.

Another good game that stands out was a 2-1 victory over the Gumps. Think Saunders and Ramage scored. 'Pick that one out the net Mark Crossley!'

My first experience of the BBG was 3rd April 1969 a 5-0 drubbing of Bristol City and 2nd Division Champions, Derby County would be in Division 1 next season WOW. The next 7 seasons I witnessed the very best English football had to offer and we beat them all; Liverpool, Arsenal, Leeds, Real Madrid, Benfica to name a few ?. So many great games but the one I remember most was probably our first big test of the 69/70 season when Everton came to the BBG. Like us they were unbeaten and had the Harvey, Ball & Kendall trio pulling the strings. We beat them 2-1 and survived a 2nd half onslaught during which Howard Kendall scored a cracker at the Ozzie End, that win gave us a feeling that Derby County had arrived with the big boys. A few weeks later we trounced the mighty Spurs (Greaves an all) 5-0 and so on and so on, what memories. For atmosphere the Benfica and Real Madrid games stand out but even in the later years 3-3 v Sheff Wed in the cup and so many more. Great times spent with my Dad - thank you Derby County

43 minutes ago, Supermac said:

My first experience of the BBG was 3rd April 1969 a 5-0 drubbing of Bristol City and 2nd Division Champions, Derby County would be in Division 1 next season WOW. The next 7 seasons I witnessed the very best English football had to offer and we beat them all; Liverpool, Arsenal, Leeds, Real Madrid, Benfica to name a few ?. So many great games but the one I remember most was probably our first big test of the 69/70 season when Everton came to the BBG. Like us they were unbeaten and had the Harvey, Ball & Kendall trio pulling the strings. We beat them 2-1 and survived a 2nd half onslaught during which Howard Kendall scored a cracker at the Ozzie End, that win gave us a feeling that Derby County had arrived with the big boys. A few weeks later we trounced the mighty Spurs (Greaves an all) 5-0 and so on and so on, what memories. For atmosphere the Benfica and Real Madrid games stand out but even in the later years 3-3 v Sheff Wed in the cup and so many more. Great times spent with my Dad - thank you Derby County

My first game as well. Only time I went to football with my dad. The Real Madrid game and the games around 73 - 76 were good but bizarrely the games I remember for atmosphere were the Rotherham game in 86, it was so quiet before hand in the boozer but the game was all about the ground and what we had been bought up on. The other game was the palace promotion game under Jim scoring early helped but when they scored thought we d chucked it away but we were made of sterner stuff in those days! I miss the old dump, now wash your feet when you left the gents under the pop side the terrible food but you will never recreate that sense of being part of the games like your were then, I remember being in the Ossiend as a ten year old and being pushed to the front with all the other lads so we could get a better view, not sure people are like that now. Atmosphere was always noisy and apart from the odd scuffle v Tottenham and Liverpool never really as unpleasant as it is now, think it was just more fun and less important.

2 hours ago, eddie said:

Was my late dads favourite match. His mate who went with him had to be carted off to the DRI after the match with a collapsed lung! Never did find out if it was the game or the 20 Park Drive he chuffed during the match!

Strange bloke me dad, never rated Clough, never forgave him for dropping Gordon Hughes for some bloke named Hinton!

Sadly my one and only experience of the BBG was the last game vs. Arsenal. I was only 3-and-a-half, but that atmosphere while everyone was on the pitch will stay with me forever - don't think I'll experience another one like it.

Watching the youtube videos just doesn't quite cut it. Going back to some of those games would be the first thing I'd do with a time machine. I'd just have to avoid bumping into my dad.

It's great reading all your memories of the baseball ground. Unfortunately never got to any games back then. I had to be content with watching match of the day. I love the leeds game when Francis Lee and was it Norman hunter getting sent off . Still fighting on the touch line. Happy days. Please more baseball ground memories. 

Archived